Tonight I cooked..........

Mrs. HT is allergic to pine nuts so pesto is out in its usual iteration, I keep meaning to try making it with hazelnuts. Perhaps a British version with wild garlic, rapeseed oil and walnuts might work ?
Pistachios are a good alternative to pine nuts
*That snippet of info was from google- not experience.

JuniorBod

War Hero
Mrs. HT is allergic to pine nuts so pesto is out in its usual iteration, I keep meaning to try making it with hazelnuts. Perhaps a British version with wild garlic, rapeseed oil and walnuts might work ?
Mrs JB is not overly fond of pesto so I tend to use neat for me (tonight), if she is partaking I will cut it with cream which knocks the edge off...

Unfortunate for Mrs HT's allergy, I would go with your idea of creating your own non allergenic version, you would only have to make a 200ml batch as a taster, if it's vile, I believe you have some porcine waste disposal units on site for disposal of experimentation.(from your man cave obvs, no kitchen waste here, no sireee...)

When you perfect and market your product and are heading to your first gazillion a la Levi Roots, it would be appreciated if you could spare a thought (or a million or two) to the purveyor of the humble piccy that jump started your global ambitions...

:-D:-D:-D

JB

I've mentioned a few times on here - a couple of us have a book called 'The Curry Secret'.
It gives away the "secrets" of *British Indian restaurant stle curries - so not 'authentic'. I actually prefer BIR style-works for me anyway. The cookery is all around various base sauces.

Give me an average UK Indian takeaway menu and I can pretty much accurately recreate most things on it within around 30 mins of farting about - finding obscure extra spiceage in the cellar etc.

It even gives tips on pre-cooking meat and storing it. Its available on kindle and its free if you have that Amazon extra thingy too.
Just grabbed a copy on Kinde and the updated one also.

Gonna be a busy week ahead in the kitchen :)

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Made a couple more of the m’hanncha cakes to send home with visitors today:

DF1FAC20-55AE-4B69-835C-892C7ADD6662.jpeg

One of visitors was my sister, who brought this she’d found when tidying up her house. I brought it back from working in Costa Rica in 2007:

553ACCCE-FA84-4643-9155-E7C0A6B29655.jpeg
B3894B4E-1F67-469A-9CC6-2766A4E5B347.jpeg

391E102E-6AA0-4334-813B-CA56F71CC91C.jpeg

Just grabbed a copy on Kinde and the updated one also.

Gonna be a busy week ahead in the kitchen :)

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
*Keep the doors open whilst boiling the onions and garlic...otherwise it will stink your house out for days. I personally don't mind it but...my kids hate it.

Get yourself a few small tubs and create your own (inspired by the book) 'spice mix'. I have about 3 but never get round to labelling them so it's lucky-dip.

try and get some ghee also - it does make a difference.

I didn't take a picture of it, but I tried the recipe for porkchops in this video, which was originally published in 1792.

It's very, very easy to make and is surprisingly good. He has a lot of videos on his site and a few of them look like they're worth trying as well.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
No probs:

• Peel, dice and cook an apple with the blackberries and couple of spoonfuls of sugar until the apple is soft but not yet mushed.
  • Line a tart tin with shop bought pastry - I use sweet shortcrust, but puff pastry will do. Bake blind if you want to, if not just coat the pastry with egg wash and bake for 5-10 mins to seal the bottom
  • Make a frangipane batter by beating together 100g sugar, 100g softened butter then add one large egg and beat well. Fold in 100g ground almonds.
  • If you're feeling posh, add in zest of a lemon, or some vanilla essence
  • Spoon the apple mixture into the pastry, top with the frangipane
  • Bake at 180C (fan) until the pastry and the frangipane is cooked.

If you do add the lemon zest, you can add the a spoonful of the lemon juice to the apple/blackberry mixture, or alternatively lightly whisk some double cream, add 1/2 the amount of natural yogurt, the lemon juice and a spoonful of icing sugar. Fold together and serve with the tart.

Enjoy
My effort today. I loathe almonds with a passion so I made a Genoese topping. My pastry case is a bit wonky, but will taste nice.
20200608_164902_resized.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you spot tonight's tea behind the pudding. Leftover chilli put into pies made from leftover pastry pieces.

We live on leftovers!!!!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Invested in a few new E-cookbooks :)

Had a quick scan thru them this evening and they have pretty much every dish you could want and make it very easy to follow

Latest Threads