Tonight I cooked..........

Kirkz

LE
Salmon, avocado and baby plum tomato knock up. Cream and some Saint Agur to finish.
Sounds disgusting I know but it's delicious. All the flavours complement each other.

View attachment 477769
Years ago when I dated a vegie bint (shudder, never again) on coming home from the pub she said she was hungry, so I wilted some spinach in a pan then put in some cheese, cream and cherry tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and served it on toast. She loved it and requested it quite often after that and always the same way saying "can you make that what's in the fridge dish again".

Eggs royale for today's breakfast
20200530_094204_resized.jpg

Years ago when I dated a vegie bint (shudder, never again) on coming home from the pub she said she was hungry, so I wilted some spinach in a pan then put in some cheese, cream and cherry tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and served it on toast. She loved it and requested it quite often after that and always the same way saying "can you make that what's in the fridge dish again".
My youngest (17) has taken to producing “clearing out the fridge” meals for herself. All very well but I wish she’d tell me. My fried up leftover Shepherd’s Pie was sub optimal without the left over broccoli smashed into it.

She’d fried it up with garlic and chilli flakes.

Can’t complain, anything green and she can’t get enough of it.

wheel

LE
It wouldn’t completely surprise me but the odd thing about Stoke is nothing leaves and nothing escapes.
You will not beat an oatcake from Stoke. And a Stokie (like my MiL) can even now, having lived 15 miles away for 50 years, cantell the difference from one shop to another.
@wheel may have summat to add.
It is true, the taste varies from shop to shop as they make their own mix they also have different thickness. I am not a fan of the big producers like North Staffordshire Oatcakes and Poveys who supply supermarkets and convenient stores.

wheel

LE
Your sense of geography is absolutely shite. While actual Cheshire, in the form of Crewe, is just the other side of the weirdly named “D Road” (AKA A500), the specific bit of Cheshire where I grew up (later Merseyside) is fcuking miles away. Indeed Crewe is one of those places that while it exists, and belongs to the Three Wheatsheaves, one tries to forget that it exists, for it is only half a step above the likes of Burslem and Fenton.
Why do you say the weirdly named D road ?. I take it that you are familiar with Roman numerals. Nowt wrong with Boslem duck I was dragged up there.

wheel

LE
No, I is originally from Bristol my lover. I now live near Crewe, regrettably near to the extent that the things I need to do like builders merchants and the bloody bank are in Crewe. The Authorities occasionally decree that I must accompany her to the Grotteries Potteries Centre in Sturk Stoke so that she can ask and then ignore my opinions on her proposed purchases.

The only saving graces for the places are as I say, decent builders merchants and each has a half decent bulk buy butcher, Longmans in Crewe and Wayne Walker in Stoke.
Longmans and Wayne Walker are shit. Try A.J Green at Acres Nook near Kidsgrove.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
My first attempt at Southern Fried Chicken, using buttermilk, flour and spices for the crispy coating. A bit of a faff, but the end result was worth it. Yum!
3AC952AE-193D-43C3-9597-859AD2BD7176.jpeg
ADE52F59-8A58-4923-A9A0-2E6CC607ADF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
My first attempt at Southern Fried Chicken, using buttermilk, flour and spices for the crispy coating. A bit of a faff, but the end result was worth it. Yum!
View attachment 477983
What recipe did you use?
I did a Jamie Oliver one a while back, brining over night and then marinating in buttermilk etc.
Was well worth it and so much better than that Kiddie Fiddling C**T stuff.

It is true, the taste varies from shop to shop as they make their own mix they also have different thickness. I am not a fan of the big producers like North Staffordshire Oatcakes and Poveys who supply supermarkets and convenient stores.
Cheers @wheel . Flipping good scran.

What recipe did you use?
I did a Jamie Oliver one a while back, brining over night and then marinating in buttermilk etc.
Was well worth it and so much better than that Kiddie Fiddling C**T stuff.
Similar recipe, but American. 24 hour marinade in buttermilk with spices (Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, Garlic Powder and plenty of Black Pepper). Really tender, juicy meat (bone in thighs and drumsticks from the Butcher) and really crispy, tasty covering. Knocks that KFC muck out of the park!

L'aperitif
20200530_174149_resized.jpg

Pissaladairre
20200530_181207_resized.jpg

20200530_190037_resized.jpg

Chicken thighs with grapes and sweet wine
20200530_192631_resized.jpg

Roast pineapple, lime cream, run and lime syrup
20200530_201432_resized.jpg

Any recommends for a good smoker? Can’t be arrsed to use the J button.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Similar recipe, but American. 24 hour marinade in buttermilk with spices (Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, Garlic Powder and plenty of Black Pepper). Really tender, juicy meat (bone in thighs and drumsticks from the Butcher) and really crispy, tasty covering. Knocks that KFC muck out of the park!
I use something along the same lines spice wise, only difference is I add a touch of mild chilli powder and celery salt to mine. Haven't done it for a while so might give it another go next weekend when I'm off.

Latest Threads