Tonight I cooked..........

My dear old Dad makes some of the best chips I’ve ever had. I strongly suspect it’s because he cooks them in dripping. His “roast” potatoes also somewhat special, they’re parboiled (in water) then essentially deep fried in a wok.

BTW thought dripping was beef & lard pork?
Mush_nan used to go into the butchers and ask "do you keep dripping?"
"Yes love"
"Embarrassing isn't it "

*allegedly

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone ever ate tripe by choice? By that I mean you went to the butchers with a full wallet and you've eschewed steak/pork chops/etc, in favour of tripe?

I watched the film Spring and Port Wine* recently and they have Frank Winsor eating tripe. To me, the only reason I'd eat tripe is because I was on a desert island and I'd already ate my leather shoes & belt.
Tripe doesn't have to be cooked the old fashioned, sanatorium way. You should try the Italian (and other European) version recipes as shown below.

Attachments

Last edited:
Has anyone ever ate tripe by choice? By that I mean you went to the butchers with a full wallet and you've eschewed steak/pork chops/etc, in favour of tripe?

I watched the film Spring and Port Wine* recently and they have Frank Winsor eating tripe. To me, the only reason I'd eat tripe is because I was on a desert island and I'd already ate my leather shoes & belt.
I recall my father (rest his soul) enjoying many a meal of tripe when I was young but dont recall how it was cooked. I have a feeling my mother simply boiled it ?

The end of a beef fillet (Thai beef), fried tomatoes, fried shallots/garlic, German bread and the back end of a bottle of Grenache Shiraz. Durian for afters.

20200527_171723.jpg

It looks a bit light-on, but I prefer a smaller dinner these days. Makes it easier to get up the stairs later.

Kirkz

LE

I wouldn't say I bought tripe rather than steak etc but I do like a nice piece of thick seam honeycomb tripe, served cold straight from the fridge with salt pepper and vinegar liberally sprinkled over it.
I prefer it that way to the usual tripe and onions cooked in milk but I wouldn't turn my nose up at that either, nice bowl of trip and onions with a large sprinkling of white pepper is lush.
If you'd rather eat your shoes then you Sir are a Philistine.

Last edited:

Rab_C

War Hero
The end of a beef fillet (Thai beef), fried tomatoes, fried shallots/garlic, German bread and the back end of a bottle of Grenache Shiraz. Durian for afters.

View attachment 477233

It looks a bit light-on, but I prefer a smaller dinner these days. Makes it easier to get up the stairs later.
I did give you a like but wanted to give a big cross for the durian. Is it the “hybrid” Thai beef in which case not too bad.

Kirkz

LE
I'm of the opinion if an animal has died to feed you, you should use as much of it as possible.

I did give you a like but wanted to give a big cross for the durian. Is it the “hybrid” Thai beef in which case not too bad.
It is (was) the hybrid, can't remember the specifics of the breeds. Price-wise acceptable, but durian is cheaper this year - aroy!

I recall my father (rest his soul) enjoying many a meal of tripe when I was young but dont recall how it was cooked. I have a feeling my mother simply boiled it ?
My father liked it as well. My mother is Irish and used to cook stuff like tripe, pigs trotters etc. Pretty much a reflection of growing up in Ireland in the 1930s where your choice of food was rarely optional.

She cooked it in a creamy onion sauce. The sauce was great but my memory is that tripe was ghastly. Pretty rapidly she fed us kids something else.

The small town near me used to have four shops which sold tripe, cow heels and various other odd bits of animal which nobody has eaten for fifty years.

I was tempted to give it a bash a few times in France when I saw it on a menu. Fortunately sanity prevailed over adventurousness.

Rab_C

War Hero
It is (was) the hybrid, can't remember the specifics of the breeds. Price-wise acceptable, but durian is cheaper this year - aroy!
I always bought the hybrid for steaks unless very special occasion then got imported. Durian min, I wouldn’t even go into the indoor market during durian season.

I wouldn't say I bought tripe rather than steak etc but I do like a nice piece of thick seam honeycomb trip, served cold straight from the fridge with salt pepper and vinegar liberally sprinkled over it.
I prefer it that way to the usual tripe and onions cooked in milk but I wouldn't turn my nose up at that either, nice bowl of trip and onions with a large sprinkling of white pepper is lush.
If you'd rather eat your shoes then you Sir are a Philistine.
My improved version is still cooked in milk but with chopped leeks and peas chucked in, chives as well if I have them.
Strained off then a packet of cheese sauce added to the liquor and put back together again.
Lush.
I haven't seen a decent bit of Honeycomb for ages, perfect for collecting the vinegar in.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
I once saw weasand meat in a covered market somewhere to the North. I found out later it was the gullet/windpipe of the beast. Give me oxtail any day.

Leftover chicken into a pie with leek and shallot, and a couple of very BROWN mushrooms - the rest is self explanatory. I realised, having only recently posted my first picture here, that I’m going to struggle to attain acceptable levels of brown in my cuisine, since it’s not a colour I tend to incorporate in my cooking very often. Even the veg orientation is off today - hopeless!
11CCC125-F388-4100-9064-491F593BA2C0.jpeg

Leftover chicken into a pie with leek and shallot, and a couple of very BROWN mushrooms - the rest is self explanatory. I realised, having only recently posted my first picture here, that I’m going to struggle to attain acceptable levels of brown in my cuisine, since it’s not a colour I tend to incorporate in my cooking very often. Even the veg orientation is off today - hopeless!View attachment 477285
Excellent photography there.

I realised, having only recently posted my first picture here, that I’m going to struggle to attain acceptable levels of brown in my cuisine, since it’s not a colour I tend to incorporate in my cooking very often. Even the veg orientation is off today - hopeless!
Ignore the plate Nazi, he's harmless really. I can almost guarantee someone will make a comment about your plate not being circular, just smile and nod. It's all a bit Care in the Community here.

Food looks good by the way :)

Leftover chicken into a pie with leek and shallot, and a couple of very BROWN mushrooms - the rest is self explanatory. I realised, having only recently posted my first picture here, that I’m going to struggle to attain acceptable levels of brown in my cuisine, since it’s not a colour I tend to incorporate in my cooking very often. Even the veg orientation is off today - hopeless!View attachment 477285
Get some more stuff posted, Colin. We need some new blood in this thread, and that looks excellent.

Let me be the first to say, I like your plates :)

The leccy company called me at 0912 with an automated message to say there will be a scheduled outage at 0915. Well cheers, bastards. That’s my plans for hambone soup pushed to the right.

Latest Threads