Tonight I cooked..........

Lunch today

Panzanella
20200525_133028_resized.jpg

Had these for tea with mash and veg. Bisto gravy. Mrs R had a massive work task sprung on her late last week and has been slaving all day on the laptop whilst I sat in the garden this pip emma.
A06FD540-BDB7-48AD-B453-BF95BE56D52E.jpeg

Lidl special bought on spec last week and frozen. Defrosted today and oven cooked for extra kitchen heat.
Really good, about the best supermarket sausages we have had.
No plated pics as we ate it before I remembered. It was only bangers and mash anyway, nothing special.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Need some advice, I need to make some white sub roll, footlongs, as I bought some of the German Sausageman's finest wurst, namely these - Bratwurst Sausage Suppliers UK - The Sausage Man
Now ref the rolls, I can make normal bread, but how do you make soft rolls?

Need some advice, I need to make some white sub roll, footlongs, as I bought some of the German Sausageman's finest wurst, namely these - Bratwurst Sausage Suppliers UK - The Sausage Man
Quick thought: par-baked rolls but taken out of the oven sooner than suggested? I guess the idea is the sossidges keep cooking the bread to some extent?

Just messing about trying out various veggies on home made focaccia bread. The olives bit is for the missus!
8AD35DAE-37F7-453A-B44B-CF7391EE0F97.jpeg

Three things you can do:

1. Put a tbsp of veg oil (canola is my usual) in with the water. Olive oil works too, but will impart a distinctive taste. Either will soften the dough. If the dough is a bit sticky when you shape it, you’ve succeeded.
2. Bake at a slightly lower temp - I usually start loaves at 475, then drop to 375 after 10 minutes. For burger rolls, I just stay at 375.
3. Don’t glaze before firing; if you must glaze, then wipe ‘em sparingly with melted butter or olive oil the minute they’re out of the oven.

ETA: here’s a link to some rolls I did a year ago. That was a basic bread dough with oil added, and butter glaze on hot buns:

Last edited:
Easy solution is to buy both types, it's not expensive at lidl.
This is Delux authentic Spanish chorizo.
View attachment 476175View attachment 476176
Portuguese veg place near me does a line of spicy peri peri chorico which are excellent fresh, but even better removed from the packaging and chucked in the back of the fridge for a few weeks. Dries out nicely and the flavour really concentrates well.

I've been using the fresh stuff, along with a chopped chili nstead of bacon/lardons in carbonara sauces with cheese filled tortellini. Probably cause heart failure in Italy among the purists, but it's bleedin' lush!

...You take the 18:00-23:59 slot tonight. @Kirkz will ‘shadow’ you. You might want to ease yourself in gently, perhaps issue some mild rebukes on asymmetrical veg orientation or - gentle chastisement on gravy coverage.
Bog off Adolph.

Had these for tea with mash and veg. Bisto gravy. Mrs R had a massive work task sprung on her late last week and has been slaving all day on the laptop whilst I sat in the garden this pip emma.
View attachment 476523
Lidl special bought on spec last week and frozen. Defrosted today and oven cooked for extra kitchen heat.
Really good, about the best supermarket sausages we have had.
No plated pics as we ate it before I remembered. It was only bangers and mash anyway, nothing special.
Some of the meat from Lidl and Aldi is really very good, especially the steaks. Worth noting how much they both champion British produce compared to other supermarkets, though fair play to the Coop who only sell British meat, including in their ready meals.

Grilled halloumi, tomatoes & spring onions in flatbread with aioli & lemon wedges:

DA0F22A6-0822-4D14-8535-2DA56842E28F.jpeg

Latest Threads