Tonight I cooked..........

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Tonight I am cooking very long cook beef shin.

Been in there simmering for 3 hours, in red wine and stock (my own veg/chicken/white wine), just added the carrots. Ready in another hour; the kids like "squidgy carrots".

Will have with baby spuds, spinach, and cauliflower cheese.

Shouldn't quote own post but....

...beef shin. Nom.

is that a regional thing?

I've had scotties that would have taken a dozen FF easy
I can't even find a picture of it on t'internet. Big T was a fashionable loaf that came out when I was a kid. It was round and came in a ground-breaking re-sealable placcy bag. The advert had something to do with cowboys and kids loved it. My own mum only bought it a couple of times before deciding that round bread was stupid as you couldn't make proper sandwiches with it and it didn't work properly in the toaster.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't even find a picture of it on t'internet. Big T was a fashionable loaf that came out when I was a kid. It was round and came in a ground-breaking re-sealable placcy bag. The advert had something to do with cowboys and kids loved it. My own mum only bought it a couple of times before deciding that round bread was stupid as you couldn't make proper sandwiches with it and it didn't work properly in the toaster.
AH know I know what you mean, mid 70s, red white and blue packet?

for that you would need a fishcake, one of the white ones my school used to make not the orrible gray breadcrumbed monstrosities.

as a tangent - norwegian cod cakes are awsome.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Tonight's dinner was salad but I thought something warmer would help. Large tomato, tin of tuna, cream cheese, diced pickled gherkin and garlic. Emptied the tomato and stuffed it full of the mixture, then covered the lot with grated Cheddar. Only about 20 minutes in the oven and it went well with ordinary salad stuff.

tuna tomato salad.jpg

The only thing was I forgot all about a picture until I had nearly eaten all of it.

Mushrooms, peas, chorizo and rice with a bit of garlic, turmeric and garam masala as well. For something that consisted of me getting bored and lobbing stuff in it turned out well.

stuff.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gravy with one of the coarser livers, like ox or pig, casseroled with onions, bacon or sausage, but my favourite, veal liver, I'd fry onions till browned, then flash fry the liver, until barely cooked through, then deglaze and serve with maybe a peppercorn sauce.
Not being picky here, but wouldn't peppercorn sauce count as some kind of gravy?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's space for another fish finger there!
Depends though on whever the intention was to cut said butty in half none-diagonally prior to consumption. Were that to be the case then the addition of an extra finger would have caused the sandwich to be overloaded. Symmetry must be maintained in cut sandwiches, this often requires careful placement of contents, and allowances made for where the cut will take place. Mass & balance is an important part of sandwich construction.

Depends though on whever the intention was to cut said butty in half none-diagonally prior to consumption. Were that to be the case then the addition of an extra finger would have caused the sandwich to be overloaded. Symmetry must be maintained in cut sandwiches, this often requires careful placement of contents, and allowances made for where the cut will take place. Mass & balance is an important part of sandwich construction.
Did you bang your head while answering the phones tonight? :)

More fish fingers = better, especially if the little burnt crunchy bits drop on the plate and can be scooped up later.

Edit - I am now wondering about the double stacked fish finger sarnie with sauce between the layers.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Empty bread is wasted bread!

Kirkz

LE
Sandwiches should be cut across not diagonally.
triangular sandwiches are the work of the Devil and lead to places cutting bread diagonally before the sandwhich is made making it difficult to make the sandwich properly.

Lockdown brunch today, after a good walk earlier. Rosti, made with potato, carrots and onion, bacon, tomatoes and poached egg. We are laying off the bread at the moment (it was either that or the wine!). :grin:
459028C4-8E94-4624-8A65-2C1E2F5F6590.jpeg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Lockdown brunch today, after a good walk earlier. Rosti, made with potato, carrots and onion, bacon, tomatoes and poached egg. We are laying off the bread at the moment (it was either that or the wine!). :grin:
View attachment 475784
With something as nice as that I would certainly forgo the wine in order to have lashings of toast simply oozing with butter (and brown sauce on the meal).

View attachment 475784
Needs sausages.

Latest Threads