Tonight I cooked..........

Did you add a bit of curry powder? Sometimes helps, but dried birds eye chilis are the way to go.

What you can also do is the old Porra Angolsch trick of filling an old whisky/brandy bottle right to the top with dried birds eye chilis, then topping up the empty spaces with whisky. Couple of drops of that on your grub will give it some heat. Works really well in soups, added at the table before scoffing.

If it's older than a week, beware of tasting it directly. It's rocket fuel. Just top up with more whisky now and then. It keeps its heat for a couple of years. After that, grab a couple of the chilis for cooking and once empty, start again.

Chili’s are all home grown, put them in a fancy bottle then fill with olive oil, as you say keep filling with olive oil and the next years chilies. Some of the buggers must be 5 or 6 years old. Mrs OB does not like anything too hot.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Chili’s are all home grown, put them in a fancy bottle then fill with olive oil, as you say keep filling with olive oil and the next years chilies. Some of the buggers must be 5 or 6 years old. Mrs OB does not like anything too hot.
Ah, OK. Might try a jar for your own use filled with dried chilis and whisky.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you add a bit of curry powder? Sometimes helps, but dried birds eye chilis are the way to go.

What you can also do is the old Porra Angolsch trick of filling an old whisky/brandy bottle right to the top with dried birds eye chilis, then topping up the empty spaces with whisky. Couple of drops of that on your grub will give it some heat. Works really well in soups, added at the table before scoffing.

If it's older than a week, beware of tasting it directly. It's rocket fuel. Just top up with more whisky now and then. It keeps its heat for a couple of years. After that, grab a couple of the chilis for cooking and once empty, start again.
I do a similar thing with chilli but using vodka and pop one of the chillis in a casserole/stew/sauce. Later it is retrieved and put back in the bottle (after licking clean).

Vodka works too, but I find whisky or brandy gives it a roundness that works well in soups and stews. Just a couple of drops before scoffing. Also excellent for bloody marys instead of Tabasco.

I've been making chilli oil for a while, simply ground dries chillies in sunflower oil. But, I was at a Chinese supermarket a few weeks ago and found 'crispy chillies in oil'. They're marvellous.

Light lunch. Prawn stir fry with Sweet Chilli and Garlic Sauce.
29940EF0-FC24-4AB8-ABB1-B5A01C35C203.jpeg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought I would have a quick egg sarnie but forgot to take account of a duck's egg being a little tougher when hardboiled.
duck egg sarnie 1.jpg

It wasn't as easy to slice as a chicken egg.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought I would have a quick egg sarnie but forgot to take account of a duck's egg being a little tougher when hardboiled.
View attachment 464078

It wasn't as easy to slice as a chicken egg.
Serves you right for eating the pasty gruel in the middle of hard boiled eggs.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Chilli Sherry in decanters used to be in every Officers' Mess dining room in the '70s and '80s!

Chilli Sherry in decanters used to be in every Officers' Mess dining room in the '70s and '80s!
Was that for adding to soup?

Willie Rushton wrote a book on being a bloke. One of his tips was always carry a hip flask of sherry to add to dull soups.

Was that for adding to soup?

Willie Rushton wrote a book on being a bloke. One of his tips was always carry a hip flask of sherry to add to dull soups.
It was.

Interesting when newly joined 2Lts thought it was for drinking...

I use chilli sherry to let down thick stir fry sauces. Birds eyes in gin for anything more serious.
That's quite a reasonable substitution. In his cook book from circa 1982/3 Ken Wok says use dry sherry if you don't have rice wine. Not so sure about the gin though.

Kirkz

LE
Try the gin. Just label clearly if it's a dark bottle. A mistake you only make once.
I don't allow Gin in the house.
The smell of it reminds me of the stuff my Gran splashed round the bathroom to cover up the smell of her incontinence.

Veal Scaloppine Lmone with oven roast potatoes.

Lovely Grub.

Latest Threads