Tonight I cooked..........

Just before we legged it down to Albufeira for the camper rally in February I had made a very large pot of ragout, (well Italian mince ) it was portioned, bagged and frozen and we used it once a week , it was nice
Tonight , she presented me with the last bagged portion , which in all honesty , was a little on the small side , and I was instructed to do something with it
So ….. Italian based cottage pie
mince , with a layer of freshly cooked peas , covered with lovely smooth mash spud, and grated parmigiano regiano over the top
No photos, but it was lovely
Tomorrow, a new kilogram of minced beef/pork and we're off again

Just before we legged it down to Albufeira for the camper rally in February I had made a very large pot of ragout, (well Italian mince ) it was portioned, bagged and frozen and we used it once a week , it was nice
Tonight , she presented me with the last bagged portion , which in all honesty , was a little on the small side , and I was instructed to do something with it
So ….. Italian based cottage pie
mince , with a layer of freshly cooked peas , covered with lovely smooth mash spud, and grated parmigiano regiano over the top
No photos, but it was lovely
Tomorrow, a new kilogram of minced beef/pork and we're off again
“it was lovely” sums it up. Love your stories, have done the same on bikes with burners and stuff. Have fun, take care of each other, and a tin of corned beef mixed with a tin of potatoes on a seafront with a cheap bottle of Argentinan red makes the day. It‘s not what you eat, it’s the company what counts.

Another of oldsoaks quick n easy, the idle bollix that I am

Half a big white onion sliced n diced
Tin of chickpeas washed and rinsed.
Uncle Ben's plain boil in the bag rice
A nice tablespoon of pataks balti paste or
Korma paste.
Veggies - peas/courgette
Milk or yoghurt.
Green chilly to taste or chilli flakes.

Fry onion until translucent, add paste, shove in chickpeas n veggies, stick rice in micro and get back to veggies. Cook until chickpeas are soft as you like, add milk or yoghurt, stir, slap in cooked rice and mix together. Add chilli flakes if you want heat or add green chillies at beginning. If you have fresh coriander - bonus, stick it in.
Enjoy and stay downwind.

Note - you can vary the flavour by adding chopped tomatoes and a handful of spinach.

Last edited:
Another of oldsoaks quick n easy, the idle bollix that I am

Half a big white onion sliced n diced
Tin of chickpeas washed and rinsed.
Uncle Ben's plain boil in the bag rice
A nice tablespoon of pataks balti paste or
Korma paste.
Veggies - peas/courgette
Milk or yoghurt.
Green chilly to taste or chilli flakes.

Fry onion until translucent, add paste, shove in chickpeas n veggies, stick rice in micro and get back to veggies. Cook until chickpeas are soft as you like, add milk or yoghurt, stir, slap in cooked rice and mix together. Add chilli flakes if you want heat or add green chillies at beginning. If you have fresh coriander - bonus, stick it in.
Enjoy and stay downwind.
That sounds pretty good. Nicking that. Cheers!

That sounds pretty good. Nicking that. Cheers!
No probs. Chuck in half a tin of chopped tomatoes if you want a variation on the flavour.

Alert viewers of yesterday's French Toast may have shrewdly deduced that I have a surfeit of eggs. So today, cheese and onion omelette:

Were you white or brown?
Were you actually playing? Appear to be seted incorrectly.

Attention to detail!!!!

Stick to the well thumbed weighty tomes:)
Could I request cheese on toast with a sneaky suspicion of Goethe in the background?
My favorite is the play on an advert-Wanted..a dog that eats coal but shits diamonds.
That would work well with a red leicester I think.

Edit: I can see several killer moves were you to have been brown.
I suspect you were busy doing sudoko though :)

Chess walt :)

Last edited:
...Would have liked a bit more zing.

Cheers Bozza for the Sadza.
Did you add a bit of curry powder? Sometimes helps, but dried birds eye chilis are the way to go.

What you can also do is the old Porra Angolsch trick of filling an old whisky/brandy bottle right to the top with dried birds eye chilis, then topping up the empty spaces with whisky. Couple of drops of that on your grub will give it some heat. Works really well in soups, added at the table before scoffing.

If it's older than a week, beware of tasting it directly. It's rocket fuel. Just top up with more whisky now and then. It keeps its heat for a couple of years. After that, grab a couple of the chilis for cooking and once empty, start again.

Last edited:

Latest Threads