Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s a long story but I’m going to be living in a hotel for a while due to this ******* COVID bollocks. Delivery food only. Now more than ever my mouth is watering at these lovely creations. You cannot believe how much I am looking forward to posting something I cooked on here again. Keep it up guys.
Don't look, Ethel Goutyfrub

I love you dearly, but have to disagree. Aga is a brilliant tool for cooking anything, drying clothes, ironing, keeping distressed lambs, ducks and chickens warm, heating your home, heating your water if you're lucky enough to have an old model, and best of all, leaning on to warm your arrse on a chilly morning.
All the friends of mine who own Agas have all got a 2nd cooker in their kitchen too

After replacing most of the internals, the Aga is finally back to life. Christened it with Harira beef and lentil soup with sumac ciabatta from Hello Fresh.

Really really nice.

I’m gonna do it again but substitute beef mince for slow roast lamb shoulder, beef brisket or even goat.

View attachment 463567
Goat would probably be more authentic.

It’s a long story but I’m going to be living in a hotel for a while due to this ******* COVID bollocks. Delivery food only. Now more than ever my mouth is watering at these lovely creations. You cannot believe how much I am looking forward to posting something I cooked on here again. Keep it up guys.
Good luck!

Best wishes for that, living in a hotel is pish. Get as much variation in your diet as possible.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
All the friends of mine who own Agas have all got a 2nd cooker in their kitchen too
Unnecessary and a waste of money. Learn to use the Aga properly. It's cheaper.

tonight, I cooked a green pasta , from Jamie Os keep calm and cook thingy on the box
take a leak shallot peas, anything green actually so it got spring onions and frozen spinach , other crap from the fridge
cooked in a little olive oil and with fresh green herbs , then blitzed and mixed with your pasta, which was some French spinach and ricotta tortellini

It looked ******* awful , smelled ok …. unfortunately it even tasted worse than it looked

Failed with this one Jamie
That shouldn't have been inherently nasty. Which bit was gash - the sauce or the tortellini? I have never really had a decent shop-bought tortellini. The sauce seems a bit over-elaborate for tortellini which are usually served with a plainish sauce (butter, tomato etc to complement the filling).

The basic ingredients of leeks, shallots, peas and spring onions should have been fine with most forms of pasta. I wouldn't bother with the spinach personally but that's taste (I don't mind it raw but it seems pointless cooking it).

The base ingredients sauteed with some garlic and a few chilli flakes, stock pot, black pepper and parsley would make a great sauce for most pasta. Basically a pasta e piselli. Add a bit of smoked bacon/pancetta for a piselli con pancetta.

Add the peas right at the end and don't blitz it.

I'm going to have that tonight now as nowI feel hungry.

I love you dearly, but have to disagree. Aga is a brilliant tool for cooking anything, drying clothes, ironing, keeping distressed lambs, ducks and chickens warm, heating your home, heating your water if you're lucky enough to have an old model, and best of all, leaning on to warm your arrse on a chilly morning.
Mum?

That shouldn't have been inherently nasty. Which bit was gash - the sauce or the tortellini? I have never really had a decent shop-bought tortellini. The sauce seems a bit over-elaborate for tortellini which are usually served with a plainish sauce (butter, tomato etc to complement the filling).

The basic ingredients of leeks, shallots, peas and spring onions should have been fine with most forms of pasta. I wouldn't bother with the spinach personally but that's taste (I don't mind it raw but it seems pointless cooking it).

The base ingredients sauteed with some garlic and a few chilli flakes, stock pot, black pepper and parsley would make a great sauce for most pasta. Basically a pasta e piselli. Add a bit of smoked bacon/pancetta for a piselli con pancetta.

Add the peas right at the end and don't blitz it.

I'm going to have that tonight now as nowI feel hungry.
I did some simple tomato sauce the other night on a recommendation - butter, half an onion, tin of chopped tomatoes. Don't chop the onion or saute it - just mix together and simmer the lot for 45 minutes.

It was absolutely awesome!

ETA: Marcella Hazan - Wikipedia

Last edited:
1. Jasmin pearls green tea (100gr about £8, fragrant
2. Beef lasagna, Ocado, it must have been good as I ate both portions whilst in wine.
3. Chicken soup, made from scratch Lidl little chicken and whole( fresh Polish noodles, about 75p each bowl.)
IMG_6302.jpeg
IMG_6303.jpeg
IMG_6305.jpeg

Confused I am. Didn’t chop the onion? Half an onion floating in tomatoes?

Not a dig, just a question.
Don't chop the onion.

Don't saute it either.

Whack it all together and let it do its own thing, remove onion at the end if you wish.

Bloody lovely, RIP Marcella Hazan...

I've been making that for years now, it really makes a superb tomato sauce.

The version I use has 75ml of good olive oil rather than butter, 2 tins of Cirio chopped tomatoes, and though I remove the onion I scoff it with crusty bread.

I've seen a couple of Italian chefs recommend using chopped tomatoes rather than plums as the plums version has added water & stabilisers, which the chopped versions don't.

Waitrose has half price offers on Cirio tins every couple of months so I stock up then as the sauce can be divided into portions and frozen - tastes just as good as from fresh when gently defrosted and reheated.

Latest Threads