Tonight I cooked..........

Kirkz

LE
Yes I know the provenance of the chops, because they are from pigs we raised ourselves, in our garden. It does make them taste better, knowing that they had a good life. It also makes the whole experience of rearing your own animals for meat bittersweet, you do your best for them and then you kill them, and have that on your conscience.
Don't feel guilty, you gave them a good life so they can keep you in a good life.

Beef Stroganoff tonight. Had some diced shin beef to use up.
Turned out a little chewy for my tastes but...the horseradish mash is to die for:

2020-04-04 22.14.58.jpg

#Note the hemispherical method of food distribution in bowl being utilised. Was going to plump for a 'yin/yang' arrangement but decided against.
Picture is taken whilst food is cold and awaiting zapping- I was not hungry at the time of making.
Wife has had hers though and - nice but beef a bit chewy.
Can't win 'em all..

Kirkz

LE
Turned out a little chewy for my tastes but...the horseradish mash is to die for:

View attachment 462813

#Note the hemispherical method of food distribution in bowl being utilised. Was going to plump for a 'yin/yang' arrangement but decided against.
Picture is taken whilst food is cold and awaiting zapping- I was not hungry at the time of making.
Can't win 'em all..
Needed longer cooking, shin beef needs 3 hours +.

View attachment 462813

Can't win 'em all..
Stroganoff wi’ mash. I’ll go to foot of our stairs.
Metropolitan fancy scran.

Yet another simplyCook recipe. Sauce pots and spices provided,with recipe card. Have a mahoosive backlog of them to get through now.

Yet another simplyCook recipe. Sauce pots and spices provided,with recipe card. Have a mahoosive backlog of them to get through now.
All of the above may have strained through Pussers. And fair enough.
As always; what did it taste like? Give us a clue.

All of the above may have strained through Pussers. And fair enough.
As always; what did it taste like? Give us a clue.
I've eaten it now and can confirm that..it was divs.

Beef didnt even seem chewy. Maybe the 'resting' did it some good??

Excellent!

This is a local army site for local army people.

What the fcuk does divs mean Stranger?
May as well be feckin Urdu.

Excellent!

This is a local army site for local army people.

What the fcuk does divs mean Stranger?
It’s mateloese for “exceedingly divine”

May as well be feckin Urdu.

You realise youve just made ravers redundant on here posting that?!

Having read it...it’s spot on too!

Last edited:
Dosa stalls use an inverted T shaped tool to spread the batter and get it even - one of these:
View attachment 462717

Far from my first time but I too suffer from Dosa puddin' at times, I use a spoon to spread it. Getting the heat at the correct temp is essential, if the pan is cool enough you can spread it out, then heat to a place between medium and max. You might find a local Indian (Sri Lankan often) who can supply the batter as well.
I've got one of those flat heated grills for making dosas and pancakes and it's pretty good for the price. Mine was about £25.

For dosas I just use chickpea flour and water for the batter and they turn out pretty well. If you keep the wooden racquet clean it stops any tearing of the batter mix whilst you are spreading it.

Lasagne looks good.
Fish & chips needs longer.
Hmmm...

I prefer the multi layer lasagne with more pasta, no mince and a strongly Italian flavoured herby tomato sauce, along with sharp cheese like asiago in the layers. Serve in a bowl with your Bolognese sauce for the meat component but thick chunks of chewy, cheesy pasta to sop it up.

Agree re fish and chips. 40 seconds to a minute longer for the fish, three minutes for the chips.

We all know that stroganoff should be served as an alternative “for the ladies” who can’t hack the heat at mess curry lunches!

I've got one of those flat heated grills for making dosas and pancakes and it's pretty good for the price. Mine was about £25.

For dosas I just use chickpea flour and water for the batter and they turn out pretty well. If you keep the wooden racquet clean it stops any tearing of the batter mix whilst you are spreading it.
Yeah, you use pretty much any pulse but fermented rice flour is best IMO - keep on meaning to buy a better spreader but still using ladle, spoon, silicone blade.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s mateloese for “exceedingly divine”
Does that mean you are so illiterate you cant spell 'exceedingly divine' and instead have to write 'divs'?

I assume it is some sort of 'codshead' talk.

ETA that the last sentence has been explained.

Latest Threads