Tonight I cooked..........

Is that from the Algerian or Moroccan part of Iran?
Its called Advieh in Iranian...google tells me.
Same stuff.
I'm a big fan of Ras El Hanout though, used it a lot. A nice change from garam masala.
Rose Harissa also, which I learned about on here.

Mince encore
20200403_174714_resized.jpg

More mince.

Spicy lamb mince with chickpeas, and there is probably 3x as much to go in the freezer.

View attachment 462367
I'm assuming the bowl is (correctly) aligned to Mag North:
The chickpeas appear to be habitating mainly the west of above plate of food.

Those splatters to the east could have been wiped off also :)

beer

Old-Salt
Yesterday: home made lasagne in a terrible plate.
1FB5FC53-EAEF-4BD0-B9B4-0A7DAC337FAE.jpeg

And today I fancied fish and chips. Never actually made it before, but used a pressure cooker pot and a thermometer to check the oil temp and did a decent job!

4160DF98-4A9D-44D2-99EE-A4D0C38E317D.jpeg

Sri Lankan shellfish curry, cabbage thoran, dosa:

2CE6015F-26BE-41BD-85C0-8298C2D7B482.jpeg

First time making dosa, quite an experience. Couldn’t find rice flour, so spent a chunk of yesterday milling arborio. Poured first two ladles too generously so ended up with a sort of oily Indian batter pudding.

The swearfulness was terrific, but it would have gone well in Bloodnock’s great hurler...

Sri Lankan shellfish curry, cabbage thoran, dosa:

View attachment 462702

First time making dosa, quite an experience. Couldn’t find rice flour, so spent a chunk of yesterday milling arborio. Poured first two ladles too generously so ended up with a sort of oily Indian batter pudding.

The swearfulness was terrific, but it would have gone well in Bloodnock’s great hurler...
Dosa stalls use an inverted T shaped tool to spread the batter and get it even - one of these:
1586029662289.png

Far from my first time but I too suffer from Dosa puddin' at times, I use a spoon to spread it. Getting the heat at the correct temp is essential, if the pan is cool enough you can spread it out, then heat to a place between medium and max. You might find a local Indian (Sri Lankan often) who can supply the batter as well.

Yesterday: home made lasagne in a terrible plate.
View attachment 462657
And today I fancied fish and chips. Never actually made it before, but used a pressure cooker pot and a thermometer to check the oil temp and did a decent job!

View attachment 462659
Fish looks feckin anaemic mate. Did you just threaten to put it in the hot oil or actually put it in....

As SWMBO has been doing the cooking for the last thousand years since the lockdown started I thought I would give her the night off.

So tonight I cooked Chicken with Spinach, Chorizo, Red Onions, Bacon Lardons, Garlic, Mushrooms and Cream.

Top tip, don't add too much liquid chicken stock until you have finished adding the two bags if spinach. The spinach adds liquid of it's own as it cooks down, if you've added to much stock you will have too runny a sauce.

Must have done the trick judging by the empty plate. And she's upstairs getting her webbing on....ahem bis später....

20200404_191823.jpg

Attachments

Dosa stalls use an inverted T shaped tool to spread the batter and get it even - one of these:
View attachment 462717

Far from my first time but I too suffer from Dosa puddin' at times, I use a spoon to spread it. Getting the heat at the correct temp is essential, if the pan is cool enough you can spread it out, then heat to a place between medium and max. You might find a local Indian (Sri Lankan often) who can supply the batter as well.
Thanks for that. Strangely enough was speaking to an Indian friend today & he mentioned a local shop that sells the batter & all sorts of other goodies. It’s open durning the restrictions, too, so checking it out in the week.

A few nights of rather dull Western food coming up (mainly burgers) so won’t bother posting...

L'aperitif
20200404_171233_resized.jpg

Smoked trout, celeriac remoulade, chicory
20200404_185055_resized.jpg

Confit belly pork, charred broccoli, pickled shiitake mushrooms, pak choi
20200404_193204_resized.jpg

Spiced poached pear and syrup, chocolate sauce, cream
20200404_201833_resized.jpg

Seems we have the same granite counters. I assume you knew the provenance of the chops, got to make them taste sooo much better? I hope you enjoyed.
Yes I know the provenance of the chops, because they are from pigs we raised ourselves, in our garden. It does make them taste better, knowing that they had a good life. It also makes the whole experience of rearing your own animals for meat bittersweet, you do your best for them and then you kill them, and have that on your conscience.

Latest Threads