Tonight I cooked..........

Simple lunch and not much cooking to be honest! :smile:
1E3BB32C-8599-4E85-B004-6E8721BD3534.jpeg

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Have had a craving for mango chutney. None in local stores - WTF panic-buys mango chutney? Anyway, bought some ‘ripe’ mangoes and got Jamie Oliver’s recipe up on the iPad. Nigella seeds ... what ... what are Nigella seeds? I sent her a message but apparently she’s now of an age where she’s no longer producing them. Eventually found them in a local organic shop under their alternative (incorrect) name of ‘black onion seeds’. First mango was ripe, second could have been dropped from a Lanc to take out a German dam. Anyway, followed recipe with suitable WW modifications. Smells nice whilst simmering, so halfway through I dip a sample to taste.

I may have added a tad too much chilli. After ten minutes my lips are still numb. SWMBO will not like it.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Another one from Hello Fresh tonight.

A bit of a faff making it on a single portable electric hob while the Aga is still OOA, but got there in the end.

Chorizo crusted cod, asparagus, spuds, homemade aioli.

CCEADA07-D30B-4CE6-AAA4-1A0BDDACD191.jpeg

Have had a craving for mango chutney. None in local stores - WTF panic-buys mango chutney? Anyway, bought some ‘ripe’ mangoes and got Jamie Oliver’s recipe up on the iPad. Nigella seeds ... what ... what are Nigella seeds? I sent her a message but apparently she’s now of an age where she’s no longer producing them. Eventually found them in a local organic shop under their alternative (incorrect) name of ‘black onion seeds’. First mango was ripe, second could have been dropped from a Lanc to take out a German dam. Anyway, followed recipe with suitable WW modifications. Smells nice whilst simmering, so halfway through I dip a sample to taste.

I may have added a tad too much chilli. After ten minutes my lips are still numb. SWMBO will not like it.
Add some chopped onions, peppers wotteva to increase the volume and decrease the heat.

Used to make mango chutney from mangos on tree & scotch bonnets in garden outside my office in Costa Rica. Had to get someone in UK to post me poppadums* though...

*Uncooked, obvs. Costa Rican customs took ages, they would have gone soggy while waiting to get through...

That sounds like something for Boxing Day and left over ham and turkey.
Can you make some more? If not, I have found the best supressor for chilli heat is salt, or bread with salt content.
You could always warn her....

Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute deep pan pizza. My topping is fried onions and red peppers, mixed herbs, sausage and cheese. Yum!
The bloke can be an annoying prick with his mannerisms, but some of the lockdown food he is coming up with on Channel 4 these past few weeks is awesome.

87397385-2A9F-49C0-BCC8-BD381577620C.jpeg

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
That sounds like something for Boxing Day and left over ham and turkey.
Can you make some more? If not, I have found the best supressor for chilli heat is salt, or bread with salt content.
You could always warn her....
Yes, that is my plan if Sainsbury's have 'ripe' mangoes in tomorrow. I will make up the same recipe with no chillis and mix the two. It's a shame, because I, bein' a manly man of the vindaloo persuasion, am quite happy with the first batch. SWMBO liked the taste but then made toast using the Sybil Fawlty method.

Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute deep pan pizza. My topping is fried onions and red peppers, mixed herbs, sausage and cheese. Yum!
The bloke can be an annoying prick with his mannerisms, but some of the lockdown food he is coming up with on Channel 4 these past few weeks is awesome.

View attachment 462009
Looks good. Jamie flappy tongue twat face is annoying (and a seemingly exploitative businessman at that), but the boy can cook.
I still watch his programmes as it’s easy to pick up little tips.

Yes, that is my plan if Sainsbury's have 'ripe' mangoes in tomorrow. I will make up the same recipe with no chillis and mix the two. It's a shame, because I, bein' a manly man of the vindaloo persuasion, am quite happy with the first batch. SWMBO liked the taste but then made toast using the Sybil Fawlty method.
I hadn’t even thought of mixing them, more of keeping the first batch for special. You’re way ahead of me :)

IMG-20200402-WA0011.jpeg

Greek chicken with orzo. A new recipe for me but it was delicious.

Edited to change the name to the proper Greek chicken not geek though there are plenty who know me who would say the latter is more apt

Poppy

LE
Another one from Hello Fresh tonight.

A bit of a faff making it on a single portable electric hob while the Aga is still OOA, but got there in the end.

Chorizo crusted cod, asparagus, spuds, homemade aioli.

View attachment 461997
I thought your wife's family own pubs and hotels - can't you use the kitchens in them?

Poppy

LE
It was. Had to go to a Turkish butcher, 'cos the trad English one is a Coronazombie. Mehmet says he's been cutting these ribs English style.

I browned it in the pan, put it in the earthenware crock with softened onions/wine etc. and my (chicken!!!) stock at 200C in t'oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Tender as you like but the suggestion up thread for mor cooking time wasn't a bum steer.

I've never tasted beefier beef.
I'll go to the meat counter in the turkish shop tomorrow - that would be nice for Sunday lunch :)

Kirkz

LE
Chicken and bacon pasta bake.

20200402_203033_copy_634x845.jpg
20200402_203345_copy_726x678.jpg

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
I hadn’t even thought of mixing them, more of keeping the first batch for special. You’re way ahead of me :)
Actually, that’s a damned good point. By mixing I run the risk of making a blend that’s too bland for me and still too hot for SWMBO. This is Occam’s razor. I will keep them separate.

Latest Threads