Tonight I cooked..........

I think I am becoming a Butter Nazi...(apologies to the Emperor Vespasian)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Lunch today. Onion soup made with stock left from the weekend's ham cooked in pale ale.

With some bread rolls made of flour, baking powder, salt, milk and MAYONNAISE!!!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't made them myself.
20200401_125836_resized_1.jpg
20200401_125840_resized_1.jpg

Lunch today. Onion soup made with stock left from the weekend's ham cooked in pale ale.

With some bread rolls made of flour, baking powder, salt, milk and MAYONNAISE!!!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't made them myself.
Recipe for the rolls please?

I had my ham bone soup in the fridge overnight, and de-fatted it just now:

A1E26B1A-F717-4F79-8ECF-6C2B41536AAD.jpeg

That horrid junk on the top amounts to nearly 7oz/190g of fat:

D941E23A-3C07-420E-BB67-E913DE0C37DD.jpeg

Got nearly all of it out:

6BE0C9A7-F667-4839-ACA0-D7355E836B39.jpeg

Divvied up:

84E54E2C-A615-4A71-AAEB-60CDAEAC4542.jpeg

Well, it's their own fault for catching the ghey and using gas. Bad enough they use those Weber and associated generic disasters.
I might agree with you if it was my only BBQ, but that is far from the case. I use it for the odd couple of sausages or burgers. Anything else, which is most of the time, goes on one (or more) of my Big Green Eggs.

Just about anything tastes better over charcoal vs gas, but the Genesis wins on convenience. It’s the same paradigm as stoves in the kitchen. Was only 100 years ago that they were predominantly wood or coal burning. Now those are much more rarely found, and the gas/electric/oil ones are easier to clean, quicker to heat, have much less hysteresis between adjusting the temp control up/down and it actually making that change.

I’ve got 5 grills, 4 of them are charcoal. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 14 on the Eggs when the Electric oven shat the bed a few days before, but there’s still a place for the Weber. Just another club in the bag.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Recipe for the rolls please?
I cup flour (I used strong plain)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
half cup milk
2 teaspoons mayonnaise (I used the light version as it's all I have in the fridge).

Mix all ingredients together.

Divide equally.

Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes. I used a Yorkshire Pudding tin, with a quick spray of Fry-lite to grease as I couldn't be arrsed to get the lard out.

Enjoy lovely light fluffy rolls.

I might agree with you if it was my only BBQ, but that is far from the case. I use it for the odd couple of sausages or burgers. Anything else, which is most of the time, goes on one (or more) of my Big Green Eggs.

Just about anything tastes better over charcoal vs gas, but the Genesis wins on convenience. It’s the same paradigm as stoves in the kitchen. Was only 100 years ago that they were predominantly wood or coal burning. Now those are much more rarely found, and the gas/electric/oil ones are easier to clean, quicker to heat, have much less hysteresis between adjusting the temp control up/down and it actually making that change.

I’ve got 5 grills, 4 of them are charcoal. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 14 on the Eggs when the Electric oven shat the bed a few days before, but there’s still a place for the Weber. Just another club in the bag.
Those eggy things would fall squarely among the Weber generic disasters. You whippersnappers and your noofangled wuckfittery.

Although the gas grill is a good cheat as a pizza oven.

Those eggy things would fall squarely among the Weber generic disasters. You whippersnappers and your noofangled wuckfittery.

Although the gas grill is a good cheat as a pizza oven.
I’m not sure how old you are, but it must be a fairly high number if you think Kamados are newfangled. They’re at least 500 years old. It’s only been since WW2 that they’ve been popular in the west, with ex-servicemen bringing the idea home from the Far East. Even that was 70 years ago.

Describing Kamados as fcukwittery while suggesting a gas grill for pizza amuses me :)

Well you say that, but I can't believe it.

View attachment 461636
Pedant mode on .

That's not the Buddha, thats Budai (also known as Hotei or Pu-Tai) is a semi-historical Chinese monk who is venerated as a deity in Chinese Buddhism and was also introduced into the Japanese Buddhist pantheon. He allegedly lived around the 10th century in the Wuyue kingdom.

Pedant mode off.

Report to the arrse guardroom for a right twatting with the keisaku.

I’m not sure how old you are, but it must be a fairly high number if you think Kamados are newfangled. They’re at least 500 years old. It’s only been since WW2 that they’ve been popular in the west, with ex-servicemen bringing the idea home from the Far East. Even that was 70 years ago.

Describing Kamados as fcukwittery while suggesting a gas grill for pizza amuses me :)
Gas grill is a cheat, as mentioned.

As for the eggy things, if the furriners want to practice their heathen and ungodly methods with it, far be it from me to stand in their way, but it's not a braai/barbecue.

Gas grill is a cheat, as mentioned.

As for the eggy things, if the furriners want to practice their heathen and ungodly methods with it, far be it from me to stand in their way, but it's not a braai/barbecue.
<Brick Top Voice>

Well it’s not a set of fcuking car keys, is it?

</Brick Top Voice>

I tried the chip whisperers method, @Kirkz , and it turned into a slapstick comedy **** up. I guess I just don’t have it. Since Christmas the intro of the air fryer has improved things a lot though and no oil for me to boil, spill and generally throw around the kitchen.

Dread Pudding.

First tried this in a Jamaican bakery in Bristol..... bloody gorgeous.

They tend to put in vanilla and cinnamon as well, and caramel gravy browning to give it a lovely dark brown colour.....gives 2 loaf tins.

Good warm with custard or cold- quite dense and filling.

I cup flour (I used strong plain)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
half cup milk
2 teaspoons mayonnaise (I used the light version as it's all I have in the fridge).

Mix all ingredients together.

Divide equally.

Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes. I used a Yorkshire Pudding tin, with a quick spray of Fry-lite to grease as I couldn't be arrsed to get the lard out.

Enjoy lovely light fluffy rolls.
That just sounds so wrong!

Latest Threads