Tonight I cooked..........

A lot better than the burning bags of dog mess we used to leave on doorsteps. :)
I don’t know why, but the thought of that makes me titter. I’ve never seen it done, but heard of it many times. I have a mental image of some bloke answering the door, seeing the burning parcel and stamping it out in his slippers.

Meanwhile, hiding behind a car are three kids trying to not to give away their position, but still mount the OP. More amusing is to then consider that these three kids might well be future captains of industry, medical professionals, military, engineers etc. I don’t see future social workers or hairdressers doing that :)

quilter

Old-Salt
Then you are not old enough to have listened to 'Round the Horne' on the wireless each Sunday, perennial characters were Julian and Sandy lobbing in Polari speak at every opportunity in an age when 'poofery' was illegal.

How they got away with it is, to me, quite astounding.

Polari was basically homosexual slang to baffle outsiders, (much like Cockney slang), bona means good.

I listened to it many times, many many times, many....................
So did I, loved the programme and our 'gang' if you like, used Polari all the time. :D
Back to the thread: In Sainsbugs today their excellent Higgedy pies/quiches were reduced, managed to snaffle two individual chicken ham hock in white wine pies : they are enough for two meals each (for me) along with mash and veg., Sainsbugs had plenty of fresh veg and fruit/salad kit available too. :clap:

Last edited:

Rab_C

War Hero
I don’t know why, but the thought of that makes me titter. I’ve never seen it done, but heard of it many times. I have a mental image of some bloke answering the door, seeing the burning parcel and stamping it out in his slippers.

Meanwhile, hiding behind a car are three kids trying to not to give away their position, but still mount the OP. More amusing is to then consider that these three kids might well be future captains of industry, medical professionals, military, engineers etc. I don’t see future social workers or hairdressers doing that :)
It came into play after we’d checked our Xmas tips from the paper round (allegedly)

Rab_C

War Hero
I ended up as a Matelot Weapons Engineer Tiff, my accomplice ended up in sales in the automotive industry. I preferred to use crow scarers through letter boxes (maybe why I ended up as a weapons engineer?) but my oppo frowned on this as a bit too much like a pyromaniac.

Kirkz

LE

We used to do it with cowpats wrapped in newspaper.

Kirkz

LE
I ended up as a Matelot Weapons Engineer Tiff, my accomplice ended up in sales in the automotive industry. I preferred to use crow scarers through letter boxes (maybe why I ended up as a weapons engineer?) but my oppo frowned on this as a bit too much like a pyromaniac.
Putting stuff like that through letter boxes is a tad dangerous, we used to cellotape bangers to peoples windows.

Putting stuff like that through letter boxes is a tad dangerous, we used to cellotape bangers to peoples windows.
Did you ever get caught? Putting windows in with rocks and half-bricks is bad enough, but explosively? I should imagine the beak would take a dim view.

Did you ever get caught? Putting windows in with rocks and half-bricks is bad enough, but explosively? I should imagine the beak would take a dim view.
Different world back then. Pyro was not frowned on in the way it would be today. Boys will be boys etc. All of us had dads in the Army so it was almost de rigeur.

I would get banged up nowadays if I was caught making and cracking off remotely detonated petrol bombs.

Happy daze.

At no point did I say that it was butter. Or ketchup for that matter. But as it goes, it is mostly butter, blended with olive oil to make it spreadable straight from the fridge. Not 100% butter though, which is why I deliberately made no mention of it - I had an inking that if had, then some pedant would... oh never mind :)

View attachment 461469
Similar to Lurpack only they use rapeseed oil

Kirkz

LE

Never got caught, don't remember any windows shattering a few did get cracked but then the bangers sold in england back then were not that good.

Last night I made a ham bone soup, left it in the crockpot on low all night. Fished the bones out a bit ago. This will now cool, go in the fridge, and get de-fatted either tonight or tomorrow, depending on when it’s finished coagulating.

@Bubbles_Barker - trust the bones are the “correct” shade? I promise you it tastes good, as does the spreadable butter :)

View attachment 461473
Hey, don’t get me wrong - I’m in awe of your scoff.

Just not butter that isn’t a rich creamy yellow, that’s all.

Had some dal & poppadums left over from the other night, so Ruby it was again. Had a hankering for this recipe, but couldn’t get hold of diced lamb. Adapted it for keema:

DBD639B4-3306-43E6-A155-5B7531FBB8CB.jpeg

Came out pretty well:

BF5EF138-3440-434B-BA43-B74C367BF6CE.jpeg

I really love this. Done according to recipe it was the first thing I have made, in something like 30 years of curry making, that has been anything like a restaurant dish.

I’m only taking the piss. I doubt we ever met whilst “in”, but as an OR, I couldn’t take the piss out of a Trog offr to his face. Now I can :)
I know....******* Scalies....

Kirkz

LE
Sausage, egg, chips and beans.

20200331_202807_copy_680x629.jpg

Latest Threads