Tonight I cooked..........

I made that risotto for tea (Scottish) rice shallot wine , and that very good stock from yesterday, with chicken butternut squash , half mushed up and stirred in half cooked and chunky peas French beans spinach parmesan and the rest of the wine with it

defo a meal I will make again , even if it was a lot of faffing about

Kirkz

LE
Pork chop, chips and mixed veg.

20200330_203649_copy_729x678.jpg

Gravy went on after picture.

I let it cool, strain the bones, any veg etc, and then chill it overnight. The fat clumps on the top, and then remove with a tea strainer. Not instant gratification, but you do get 100% fat free stock.
Yup, I generally use a whole uncooked carcass, even the thigh and leg bones if I can be arsed. If done properly it's glutinous and you can lift a plate sized lump of fat from the top.

If you're obsessive like me, you can clarify the stock using and 'egg white raft'

Basically, whisk an egg white with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk it into your stock. Leave to simmer on a very low heat for up to an hour and you'll find the egg white has coagulated and caught all the fine particles in it and has formed a raft on top of the stock. Scoop as much of the raft off from the top of the soup then filter the remaining stock through muslin, clean handkerchief or a brand new J-cloth. Result crystal clear stock for broths and consommes.

If you're very very obsessive, you can use very finely minced chicken instead of egg to replace the flavour removed by the raft.
I'd only bother for beef consomme personally and haven't done it in a decade or more. I buy a tin of Campbell's instead. Straight to hell I know.

I made that risotto for tea (Scottish) rice shallot wine , and that very good stock from yesterday, with chicken butternut squash , half mushed up and stirred in half cooked and chunky peas French beans spinach parmesan and the rest of the wine with it

defo a meal I will make again , even if it was a lot of faffing about
How can I put this without insulting you? Risotto is tramp food and is to be shunned by all right-thinking adults. It is only one standard deviation away from paella, which is disgusting.

I once went on a sea fishing trip for ten days off the Canary Islands. We caught all sorts of stuff, including sharks, and every night the skipper and his boys would knock it up into...yeah, you've guessed...ferkin paella. If I never hear that dish mentioned ever again in my life it will still come to soon. As far as I am concerned, any rice based dish falls into the same category.

Paella = Disgusting
Risotto = Disgusting - 1SD

I put my stock in a centrifuge, then through a 1 micron ceramic filter at 200 psi, then I condense it from liquid nitrogen and collect the vapour in a vacuum chamber underground in a bunker to avoid space radiation particles contamination.

It was shit so I lobbed in an oxo cube.

I put my stock in a centrifuge, then through a 1 micron ceramic filter at 200 psi, then I condense it from liquid nitrogen and collect the vapour in a vacuum chamber underground in a bunker to avoid space radiation particles contamination.

1 micron? Are you sure about that? As I understand it, ceramic is non-porous so that is unachievable. Perhaps you should be thinking of a surgical mask, ATSM level 2, PFE (Particulate Filtration Efficiency) 0.5 - 2.0 microns.

Happy to help.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
How can I put this without insulting you? Risotto is tramp food and is to be shunned by all right-thinking adults. It is only one standard deviation away from paella, which is disgusting.

I once went on a sea fishing trip for ten days off the Canary Islands. We caught all sorts of stuff, including sharks, and every night the skipper and his boys would knock it up into...yeah, you've guessed...ferkin paella. If I never hear that dish mentioned ever again in my life it will still come to soon. As far as I am concerned, any rice based dish falls into the same category.

Paella = Disgusting
Risotto = Disgusting - 1SD
Rice pudding = food of the gods.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Heston Blumenthal walt.

Latest Threads