Tonight I cooked..........

A good tip with chicken carcasses, is boil it up, drain it through a large sieve, chuck the bones, then pour the liquid through a single layer of handkerchief tissue........ it floats the fat on the top, so the stock can be seperated
I let it cool, strain the bones, any veg etc, and then chill it overnight. The fat clumps on the top, and then remove with a tea strainer. Not instant gratification, but you do get 100% fat free stock.

Stay where you are until the mental health crisis team get to you.

Your rights.

If you are sectioned, you can be kept in hospital, stopped from leaving the ward and given treatment for your mental health problems, possibly without your consent. If you are sectioned, you normally have the right to get help from someone called an independent mental health advocate
Whiney vegan snowflake.

I let it cool, strain the bones, any veg etc, and then chill it overnight. The fat clumps on the top, and then remove with a tea strainer. Not instant gratification, but you do get 100% fat free stock.
I have watched this twice because it being so good:

A good tip with chicken carcasses, is boil it up, drain it through a large sieve, chuck the bones, then pour the liquid through a single layer of handkerchief tissue........ it floats the fat on the top, so the stock can be seperated
tried the tissue , and it seemed to block up , ended up using a sheet of kitchen tissue lined the sieve and just allowed it to drip through , took about an hour , but lovely clear stock , tastes ace
risotto tonight

Do it straight off the boil, and split the 2 ply tissue in half.... works for me.

Sometimes it does slow right down, so I turn the rest back into the pan to boil, then another clean tissue

tried the tissue , and it seemed to block up , ended up using a sheet of kitchen tissue lined the sieve and just allowed it to drip through , took about an hour , but lovely clear stock , tastes ace
risotto tonight
If you're obsessive like me, you can clarify the stock using and 'egg white raft'

Basically, whisk an egg white with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk it into your stock. Leave to simmer on a very low heat for up to an hour and you'll find the egg white has coagulated and caught all the fine particles in it and has formed a raft on top of the stock. Scoop as much of the raft off from the top of the soup then filter the remaining stock through muslin, clean handkerchief or a brand new J-cloth. Result crystal clear stock for broths and consommes.

If you're very very obsessive, you can use very finely minced chicken instead of egg to replace the flavour removed by the raft.

I only ever did that once to make beef consommé. I'm not entirely convinced it was worth the effort.

I use a glass jug with a spout sticking out at the bottom. Pour the stock in, let the fat rise to the surface and then pour the stock out. Bunging it in the fridge also works.

Probably one for the Bone Missus thread but Mrs TS1 asked me how I got a stock free of fat. I told her I mixed washing up liquid in it to neutralise the fat. She went slightly pale.

Last edited:
Just be careful using a J-cloth or you’ll end up with blue* soup like Bridget Jones ;)

*Other colours of J-cloth available...

Kirkz

LE
I'm with @Roadster280, put stock in fridge wait for it to set and lift the fat off.
Most of the stock I use is for soups and stews so it doesn't need to be clear.

I use a glass jug with a spout sticking out at the bottom. Pour the stock in, let the fat rise to the surface and then pour the stock out. Bunging it in the fridge also works.
71TvpB4l4BL._AC_SY450_.jpg

As used by all good households

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Rab_C

War Hero
Wasn’t sure if I should park this here or the baking thread. Now I can get yeast and bread flower again I went a bit OTT. Monkey Bread, I’ll end this lockdown 10kg heavier.
5CEF58B4-FB72-42C3-9AEC-C348F57B2AE5.jpeg

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fridge leftover hodge-podge. Shop bought tortellini, some torn up ham, cheese and black pepper. Filled a hole.

Pulled Beef Hotpot, using up the rest of the Braised Beef Skirt from yesterday. Also had a go at a couple of Jamie Oliver breads, including Red Pesto, Caramelised Onion and Cheese tear and share.
DB4A7032-6A18-4A45-8277-A5FE69972124.jpeg
8AD74E86-BB1B-4D7E-8B2A-09910B7A86EE.jpeg

Latest Threads