Tonight I cooked..........

Friday I did pan-fried Dover Sole for myself and Mrs D63 with baby sweetcorns and mange tout. Fishmonger had cleaned the fish so I just had too take off the dark skin - Remove the side frills with scissors, then with a sharp knife make an angled cut at the tail and with a rubber glove for grip peel off the skin.
Like the nasty old boy in Chinatown I always cook and serve fish with the head on but in this case I cut them off to fit in the pan.
Dust the fish in a mix of flour and cayenne pepper, shake off the excess then fry in sunflower/olive oil mix for 3-4 minutes skinned side down, flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes (doesn't matter if it catches as the skin protects the flesh). Towards the end chuck in a knob of butter, swill it around and finally squeeze half a lemon over the lot.
Sounds good. Fish with head on is good. I always think gloves add some taste to things (I know, I’m wrong), so I dip my hands in salt. Added seasoning, right.
That tip was bought to you from my old boss Les, top fish (and meat) guy at Morrison’s. That guy liked a pint.

DDAD33AB-BE34-4159-B034-C804CBF1DFAE.jpeg
This afternoon I made a curry. Chicken and chickpea. We had a roast chicken yesterday so I made stock with the carcass, carrot, celery and onion. Only addition was some bay leaves. I have recently become addicted to the taste of bay and add it so everything when I can. Annoying, as in a previous house I had a massive tree of it which I hated.
Chicken picked apart (some done last night for Mrs R’s butties tomorrow). So one chicken does a roast dinner, curry and sarnies. It’s only a cheapo chick from Aldi because unlike some of you retired brigadiers out there, we are skint.
Onions fried in ghee, then blitzed garlic and ginger. And another bit of onion.
I am out of spices, so I cheated and used some Aldi curry paste (the tikka one; its not bad). Fresh chillies as I was in another supermarket.
Chicken and paste in with some stock. Tin of chick peas, then some mushrooms. Mrs R loves mushrooms, and given the choice, will add them to anything. Anything.
The stock veg was blitzed and thrown in too. The only thing I binned, apart from chicken bones, was some coconut solid I found in the fridge. Not risking it.
Results above, bugger would not load below.
And I still have some stock for risotto!
To add, coriander was from the freezer. Get it out, hammer it, and its bust up. Job done.

Last edited:
Sausage and Bacon Casserole with a giant Yorkie.
Grandson is staying over tonight and this is one of his favourites!
C7186116-9151-49E9-8A00-795F831A9968.jpeg

Karamoja

Old-Salt
Pork chop tonight with apple sauce, followed by plums and custard.

IMG_20200218_182803_copy_500x294.jpg

IMG_20200218_184719_copy_400x315.jpg

Bought some skirt today (beef, for those of you with dirty minds). Never had it before, presumably cook it as a normal stew?

Have you got a visitor to impress, or are you trying to outdo Mush Dad, fork tines across the spuds?

Unless, of course, that was a spray can of spuds? :-D
How dare you sir! Spray spuds? I can only cook about a dozen things and potatoes are one of them.

Just felt like being a bit fancy and pushing all the mash into an organised pile, same way that I cleaned up the sauce splatters from the edge of the plate ;) I drew the line at arranging all of the beans in a particular orientation though.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
How dare you sir! Spray spuds? I can only cook about a dozen things and potatoes are one of them.

Just felt like being a bit fancy and pushing all the mash into an organised pile, same way that I cleaned up the sauce splatters from the edge of the plate ;) I drew the line at arranging all of the beans in a particular orientation though.
Still the way of thinkin, rouight?
More power to Ortholith’s elbow than others.

Ready to eat:

C53D6D08-87D4-4A16-BDCA-E31D2A4EC98D.jpeg

Snigger...

Arrse BBQ (NSFW)
B@stard! I was quite looking forward to compiling one but - I doubt I'd be able to top that. Has covered all points needed to be made. Anything else would be "kicking the tits out of it".

W@nker :)

B@stard! I was quite looking forward to compiling one but - I doubt I'd be able to top that. Has covered all points needed to be made. Anything else would be "kicking the tits out of it".

W@nker :)
It's harder than one might think to get the timing right. The one I did could certainly be improved/topped.

I only did it in response to your threat to have me as the victim of one :)

Have a bash at one, it had me tittering for a couple hours making it.

It's harder than one might think to get the timing right. The one I did could certainly be improved/topped.

I only did it in response to your threat to have me as the victim of one :)

Have a bash at one, it had me tittering for a couple hours making it.
I'll be a bit tied up tonight once the kids have gone to bed now...
Bought a cheapo DIY AM/FM radio kit off Amazon last night-due delivery today - to gain knowledge/soldering skills. Will probably post a cry for help on the hardware thread in due course. I'm already aware the instructions come in Chinese but - it's well documented on Youtube so hopefully will be okay.

Latest Threads