Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
This was Wing Wednesday at ours - BBQ'd Flats & Drums smoked in Maple Wood Smoke and coated in a custom Hot Sauce, served with a Blue Cheese Dip...

ck1.PNG
ck2.jpg
ck3.jpg
ck5.PNG
ck6.jpg

Fantastic...

Kirkz

LE
I can't be arsed with wings, too much work for sod all meat.
Oh but the taste of them - nice and crispy and coated in that hotness - cooled down with the rich umami taste of the Blue-Cheese....

They are literally addictive.

Kirkz

LE
Oh but the taste of them - nice and crispy and coated in that hotness - cooled down with the rich umami taste of the Blue-Cheese....

They are literally addictive.
They are literally a pain to eat, all that faffing about and grease from chin to forehead, nah, you can keep them I'd rather have a pie.

Do you have a recipe for the hot sauce?
Sure.

Melt a decent lump of butter in small pot, then add
1 decent teaspoon of Mustard (Yellow if you prefer Mild, English or Wholegrain if you want Heat)
half a cup of Franks Red Hot Wings Sauce
2 tablespoons of Honey
pinch of Salt

sc2.JPG
sc1.JPG

Having grilled the wings at about 175C for 30mins, then crank up the heat to about 200C and apply the sauce to wings for the LAST 10 MINS only - this will make the coating nice and dry and stick to the wings.

sc4.JPG

Top-Tip - coat the wings in Corn-Starch starch before you start to cook them and this gives the a great crispy texture and a really good base for the sauce to dry and adhere to (I hate soggy sauced wings) -

sc3.JPG

The finished product -

sc6.JPG

These Wings are probably the best I've had anywhere -and always gain lots of compliments to anyone who tries them.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They are literally a pain to eat, all that faffing about and grease from chin to forehead, nah, you can keep them I'd rather have a pie.
How the **** do you manage to get grease on your forehead??

Yesterday my order of vinegar from Germany arrived 10% it has a real twang.
The details though misled me, how was I to see the tiny '10l' meant that it was ten Litres.
I will go to Google to see what you can use vinegar for.
View attachment 447976
If it helps, the QMs of Roman legion forts on Hadrian's Wall supplied the kharzis therein with sea sponges on sticks (for the same purpose where today you'd buy a few rolls of cushelle, and flush the used paper away).

The sponges were immersed in vinegar between uses, to keep them more-or-less hygienic.

And you can use vinegar to clean limescale off your kettle and your taps.

Probably best not to use the Legionnaire's vinegar for the pots and pans though.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
How the **** do you manage to get grease on your forehead??
You've obviously never been drunk and had to flick hair out of your eyes while eating chicken wings.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
What is this 'hair' you speak of?
The young(er) ones have it but like so many things when one is young, when you have it you don't really know what to do with it and by the time you're old enough to know what to do with it it's gone.

Erm, pie funnels. How do I get to be in my 50s, and never have seen or heard of them until now? I just prick the middle a couple times with a fork, so I understand what they're for. I've just never been aware of them. Every day a school day.

Many years ago I fabricated a retort to make charcoal out of a clamp on lid oil drum, I was processing and selling logs at the time so had shiploads of branch wood , its actually very easy to produce good charcoal. The biggest expense is the paper sacks to sell it in.
More details please. Wouldn't mind a go at that. If it ever quits raining.
YouTube is your friend here, or possibly Ray Mears.

Erm, pie funnels. How do I get to be in my 50s, and never have seen or heard of them until now? I just prick the middle a couple times with a fork, so I understand what they're for. I've just never been aware of them. Every day a school day.
My sentiments exactly!

Tomahawk Thursday last night -

BBQ'd Prime Beef Tomahawk Steak dry rubbed in Angus & Oink Moo-Mami seasoning and grilled over direct-heat on the Weber Kettle, then sliced and drizzled Hellmann's Mayo and Sriracha Hot Sauce in a soft Butter Naan Bread heated over the coals...

T1.JPG
t2.JPG
t3.JPG
t4.JPG
t5.JPG
t6.JPG
t67.JPG
t8.JPG

Reminded me of good Gyros - but far tastier.
I can't tell you how good that tasted OMG :clap:

Latest Threads