Book Reviewer
20200125_184129_resized.jpg

It's definitely dead.
20200125_184129_resized.jpg

Donny

ADC
My birthday dinner:

View attachment 445842

Manchego, membrillo paste, Serrano ham & olives/pickled chilis on sticks.

View attachment 445844

Pork loin stuffed with herbs, garlic, chilli flakes, lemon zest, & breadcrumbs & wrapped in Serrano ham; hassleback potatoes; fennel braised with lemon thyme & lemon; green beans.

View attachment 445843

Matcha tea cheesecake with lemon cream.

Yes, I did share it.
^ as above. But I hope the company was as good for your birthday as the food looks :)

^ as above. But I hope the company was as good for your birthday as the food looks :)
Thank you! There’s no real magic to what I do, anyone who can follow simple instructions (like building a model kit) could make that meal.

What is valuable is knowing where variations can work, & a bit of flavour matching. For example the stuffing included fennel seed & lemon, so the braised fennel a logical choice. I used the lemon I’d zested for the stuffing in the braise. Have a look at “The Flavour Thesaurus” for ideas on what goes with that.

Other than that it’s just presentation. If something looks good that can be half the battle.

Company was excellent, people I’ve known best part of 30 years including my Best Man & a very glam ex. Had hoped for a couple more, but at our age there are kids to be looked after & one is waiting for an operation.

I had a rubbish couple of years & these are people who supported me through them. Putting a dinner together for them an absolute pleasure :)

Would have given that an excellent but you served the first course on a bread board.
Food preparation surface recognition - it’s a meat chopping board. Points to note - juice groove, juice well in the corner and knife scars with meat juice stains in them :)

I only know this shit because I make them :)

Thank you! There’s no real magic to what I do, anyone who can follow simple instructions (like building a model kit) could make that meal.

What is valuable is knowing where variations can work, & a bit of flavour matching. For example the stuffing included fennel seed & lemon, so the braised fennel a logical choice. I used the lemon I’d zested for the stuffing in the braise. Have a look at “The Flavour Thesaurus” for ideas on what goes with that.

Other than that it’s just presentation. If something looks good that can be half the battle.

Company was excellent, people I’ve known best part of 30 years including my Best Man & a very glam ex. Had hoped for a couple more, but at our age there are kids to be looked after & one is waiting for an operation.

I had a rubbish couple of years & these are people who supported me through them. Putting a dinner together for them an absolute pleasure :)
Cheers for that tip Capt P. I have just had a look at online reviews and ordered the book on Amazon :chef:

Cheers for that tip Capt P. I have just had a look at online reviews and ordered the book on Amazon :chef:
No probs! It’s not an essential, but I’ve found it very useful & an interesting read. This is what I think of as the reference section of the cookery book collection:

AD6184C2-CB6A-415A-8A59-43B40E2FCD87.jpeg

They cover the basics & teach techniques, with this little lot one can learn to cook. The Samin Nosrat book very good indeed, challenges a lot of assumptions about cookery & has fold out “flavour wheels” (among other useful bits) to help with what herbs, spices etc. are needed for foods from different parts of the world. The Darina Allen one teaches just about everything from knife skills to “mother recipes” which can be added to & is probably the book I would recommend to any novice.

This is the whole collection, less a few I’m still trying to find space for:

A059003F-268C-4AD5-9733-6DE188C828D6.jpeg

It’s got a bit out of hand since I started volunteering in a charity shop, but with books at two for £1 it would be a crime not to take the odd one home ;)

Cranachan?
I did consider doing Chinese Burns night last night (in honour of Chinese New Year & the Rabbi, not to extort pocket money from guests) but after haggis wontons & lots of deep-fried stuff ran out of ideas. As, I am told, Australia Day falls this weekend also considered doing ANZAC biscuit cranachan...

No probs! It’s not an essential, but I’ve found it very useful & an interesting read. This is what I think of as the reference section of the cookery book collection:

View attachment 445876

They cover the basics & teach techniques, with this little lot one can learn to cook. The Samin Nosrat book very good indeed, challenges a lot of assumptions about cookery & has fold out “flavour wheels” (among other useful bits) to help with what herbs, spices etc. are needed for foods from different parts of the world. The Darina Allen one teaches just about everything from knife skills to “mother recipes” which can be added to & is probably the book I would recommend to any novice.

This is the whole collection, less a few I’m still trying to find space for:

View attachment 445877

It’s got a bit out of hand since I started volunteering in a charity shop, but with books at two for £1 it would be a crime not to take the odd one home ;)
I must confess to being a compulsive cookery book hoarder. I currently have about 100. Charity shops are your friend here!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds a bit like an STD but sure doesnt taste like one ;-)
It tasted nice, but being English I daren't say its name in the presence of Scots. I am bound to emphasise the wrong syllable or not gargle the 'ch' enough.

I also daren't say 'Mauchline'..

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I must confess to being a compulsive cookery book hoarder. I currently have about 100. Charity shops are your friend here!
Your Good Housekeeping book is in too good condition. I will post a pic of mine !
20200126_101008_resized.jpg
20200126_101018_resized.jpg
20200126_101002_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Your Good Housekeeping book is in too good condition. I will post a pic of mine !
Looks like my parents’ original one, wedding present from 1967 or so. It was updated on their silver wedding but they didn’t feel need after that.

It’s funny looking at the changes in food between the editions. Tempted to start a collection just of Good Housekeeping!

Brunch with the family this morning - a rare occasion. Both children, plus other halves and 4 grandchildren. My reward after two hours in the kitchen - including a very nice double yolker! :grin:
C2F1D4A2-4BF0-4090-87D0-D43B05DF5F04.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
Stornoway chicken, apparently:

If you're going for the Balmoral edition, you'll be looking for a nice whisky sauce to go with it. Here's the poshest I could find:
Pretty sure I've posted pics on here of similar dishes including chicken stuffed with Haggis, black pudding, cheese and Chorizo then wrapped in bacon.

Would have given that an excellent but you served the first course on a bread board.
I think that among all the gash trendy serving platters (tiles, jam jars, flat caps, buckets, spades etc) serving cold meats, cheese, bread etc on a board is fine so cut MD a bit of slack here.

I had a starter of cold meats etc once at a restaurant in France. It was listed on the menu as “assiette anglaise” (English plate). Oddly enough it was served on a wooden board and had nothing English on it. Go figure.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that among all the gash trendy serving platters (tiles, jam jars, flat caps, buckets, spades etc) serving cold meats, cheese, bread etc on a board is fine so cut MD a bit of slack here.

I had a starter of cold meats etc once at a restaurant in France. It was listed on the menu as “assiette anglaise” (English plate). Oddly enough it was served on a wooden board and had nothing English on it. Go figure.
Not difficult. Wooden board = English (according to the French).

Latest Threads