Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Occasionally when eating fried eggs I'll eat all the whites first until it's just the yolks left on the plate. Then scoop each one up with the fork and eat the whole yolk on one mouthful
So - it won't be all white in the end.

Occasionally when eating fried eggs I'll eat all the whites first until it's just the yolks left on the plate. Then scoop each one up with the fork and eat the whole yolk on one mouthful
Or you could put the yolks in toast with bacon and mushrooms. Mmmmmmm

Babies heads out the BV - now that takes me back! Nice on a cold day on Soltau, not the same on a blimming hot day on Medman. Top marks for consistency, always served with the aroma of diesel.
Oooh, & banjos with a big OMD?? thumbprint on, tea with a slug of Black Bush & pine needles...

Proper tactical eating is reducing all food groups on the plate at equal rates to avoid the unpleasant scenario of only spuds left or a barren gravy lake on an otherwise empty plate. Calculating the chips per steak ratio as you go is highly skilled work.

Proper tactical eating is reducing all food groups on the plate at equal rates to avoid the unpleasant scenario of only spuds left or a barren gravy lake on an otherwise empty plate. Calculating the chips per steak ratio as you go is highly skilled work.
Up until this relatively advanced point in my life, I had never given this any thought whatsoever. Now though, I realise that there are tactics to devouring meals and I share yours. Why, I have no idea. It just is.

Up until this relatively advanced point in my life, I had never given this any thought whatsoever. Now though, I realise that there are tactics to devouring meals and I share yours. Why, I have no idea. It just is.
I confidently predict that @supermatelot is in the process of producing the Strategic Guide To Tactical Plate Clearance at this very moment.

The puddings are Hollands ones, frozen. Need 35 or 40 minutes steaming. Sadly don’t own a deep fat fryer, although it is tempting for some of the Indian & Middle Eastern stuff I’d like to make!

Our nearest source of the puddings is 10 miles away in Asda, since Iceland hoofed them in favour of bloody Dreggs Pies, but I made the trip today.

What did you use for gravy ?

I finally bought some Maysan, for the last meal, and it was perfect, must have been what my Stockport Chinese chippy used......

1579875156966.png

Kirkz

LE
Our nearest source of the puddings is 10 miles away in Asda, since Iceland hoofed them in favour of bloody Dreggs Pies, but I made the trip today.

What did you use for gravy ?

I finally bought some Maysan, for the last meal, and it was perfect, must have been what my Stockport Chinese chippy used......

View attachment 445557
I haven't used the local Chinese since I found Mayflower curry sauce.
I always had the house special curry and fried rice, but now I just make it myself and I can't tell the difference.

Someone I used to count as a best friend used to a) have all his vegetables raw and b) eat everything of one kind together. Say all the carrots, then the potatoes, then the meat, then maybe the broccoli.

Thinking back, it should have come as no surprise that he ended up with my ex-wife :)

A lot depends on your upbringing I reckon. Every meal was accompanied by "Eat it all up, there are children starving in Biafra/Ethiopia/Sudan" so I got into the habit of eating sprouts/parsnips/broccoli etc first and saving the best bits until last to mask the aftertaste of the devil's vegetables. I quite like them all now but the habit dies hard.

I haven't used the local Chinese since I found Mayflower curry sauce.
I always had the house special curry and fried rice, but now I just make it myself and I can't tell the difference.

Had that the other day, it's the sauce they use in our sit- down fish and chip place.

Pretty good but I prefer the Maysan, more what I'm used to....... more of a mustard yellow colour.

Kirkz

LE
Had that the other day, it's the sauce they use in our sit- down fish and chip place.

Pretty good but I prefer the Maysan, more what I'm used to....... more of a mustard yellow colour.
That sounds like the sauce they use at the Chinese chippy in the next village along.
Might look out for it in the local supermarkets and give it a go.

That sounds like the sauce they use at the Chinese chippy in the next village along.
Might look out for it in the local supermarkets and give it a go.

One thing you could do as well, if you chop up a small onion into a saucepan, add a mix of sunflower oil and sesame oil, not too much then hard fry them until the edges start to brown but the onion is still a bit crunchy, then add the sauce, bring to the boil, then serve straight away.

The sauce comes in a slab, so I score it on the top into 8 portions which gives a good mugfull.

Mush it up in a jug with a little cold water first, then add a mug of boiling water, stir then add to the onions, adding a little more water if too thick.

Last edited:

Latest Threads