Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
20200120_183855_resized.jpg
20200120_184028_resized.jpg

Yesterday's game casserole leftovers reheated under a suet crust. Served with butter-fried cabbage.

6A3198CD-AE25-49CB-AAFB-95E620C23939.jpeg

Chicken katsu curry with coconut rice, vegetables stir-fried in chilli oil, garlic & ginger with sesame seeds, crunchy oriental pickles. Jorry good it was too :)

It's cold outside, I've got a sore foot and wanted some comfort food. Was going to do pie and veg but the green stuff in the fridge had gone manky so settled for pie, mash and mushrooms. Looked at the colour scheme and decided to go for industrial strength brown. Very tasty it was too.

brown.jpg

I had that in Berlin in June (Without the peas). Absolutely cracking. It was one of those moments I often have when I am on the road, where I look at the menu and think, "I've never had that. That's what I'm getting." I have done this in loads of places. Most of the time I can't even understand the words properly, although variations of 'carne' and 'viand' are meat, and anything including 'pate' is pasta...normally. This takes on a whole new twist in Greece and Bulgaria where you can't even read the letters. I have never been disappointed, although I suspect that there must have been more than one occasion where the restaurant staff have taken pity on the poor British fool, and substituted something delicious for the crap that I actually ordered.

00FC1F35-A0C5-477D-866B-0E1A67E37BFE.jpeg

Oh, & the other week reading the book on the right inspired me to try out what Northern people eat on the left. More warming up than cooking, but tasty all the same.

Mmmmmmm. Snake and pigmy puddings.
They were great, took me back to babies heads out of the BV in my Chieftain on Soltau. Peas Posessed at home were tastier, though.

Kirkz

LE
They were great, took me back to babies heads out of the BV in my Chieftain on Soltau. Peas Posessed at home were tastier, though.
Try deep frying them they're fookin lush.

Try deep frying them they're fookin lush.
The puddings are Hollands ones, frozen. Need 35 or 40 minutes steaming. Sadly don’t own a deep fat fryer, although it is tempting for some of the Indian & Middle Eastern stuff I’d like to make!

Kirkz

LE
The puddings are Hollands ones, frozen. Need 35 or 40 minutes steaming. Sadly don’t own a deep fat fryer, although it is tempting for some of the Indian & Middle Eastern stuff I’d like to make!
They take about 8 minutes in the fryer from frozen.

A blast from the very distant past. Based on Ebony Eyes by the Everly Brothers.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Made Clootie Dumpling today, practising for Saturday's Burns Supper.

Wrapping the pudding in a cloth and tying it up reminded me so much of my mother and grandmother doing the same. In my mind's eye I
20200122_170535_resized.jpg
20200122_170854_resized.jpg
can still see their hands rolling tying and checking the string 'handle'.

Latest Threads