Tonight I cooked..........

Kirkz

LE
Just finished work so usual snack attack of coffee and cheese on toast with chilli sauce.

20200118_153601-641x536.jpg

Unexpected invite out tomorrow but already bought the meat and veg for a Sunday roast, so having a Saturday night roast instead.
20200118_193155.jpg

One of the things I have learned from this thread, is how many people still do the traditional Sunday roast. Frankly, my gast is well and truly flabbered. I had expected that by now Sunday would just be like any other day.

On the other hand, if someone can guide me in the creation of high standard scrambled eggs, I would be eternally grateful.

One of the things I have learned from this thread, is how many people still do the traditional Sunday roast. Frankly, my gast is well and truly flabbered. I had expected that by now Sunday would just be like any other day.

On the other hand, if someone can guide me in the creation of high standard scrambled eggs, I would be eternally grateful.
I like to cook the Mrs a Sunday dinner. Whenever I mention it to my dad, he thinks I’m mental. All that effort! The chicken will make two more dinners, I live off cold roast spuds for a few days and so on. As my mother in law says, a roast is about the easiest meal to make.
Scrambled eggs: still working on them....

That question should spark a couple of pages worth of comments. :-D

Everyone is different but personally I can't bear overcooked scrambled eggs.

So a reasonable knob of butter into a small saucepan, I always use the same one to ensure a consistent result.

Then when the butter is just starting to foam I turn the small hob ring to the lowest heat and add well whisked eggs. Some add salt and pepper to that, others just as it is nearly cooked.

Then stir fairly constantly on the low heat until the eggs are just firming up but still a bit runny.

Take it off the heat as the residual pan heat will continue the cooking process.

I serve up, on to toast natch, while the eggs are just firm but still 'fluid', if that makes sense.

A shedload of Arrsers will now say that that is complete bollocks and that lobbing it in the microwave for 30 minutes is the only way to scramble eggs. :-D

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Et Voila!

View attachment 444360
View attachment 444361

They are definately not as good as the ones from the takeaways - but certainly better than the readymade ones you can buy. Texture is fluffy but they just dont have that "crisp" on the outside. My main problem was finding the correct setting to put the electric hob on. The ones with garlic were tempremental as the garlic tended to cook quicker than the dough. If I'm being honest - they taste almost identical to takeaway ones but - slight difference in texture / crisp on outside.

I'm declaring this a success.

Ingredients used: Flour,sachet of yeast, sea salt, oil,melted butter, Greek yoghurt, yeast, sugar. Fresh garlic & parsley.
I tried it on my convection hob but after a few hours I gave up. :slow:

For one person I would :
Scramble 3 eggs, melt about 50g of butter in a frying pan, add the eggs, add another 75g of butter and stir until the eggs are setting then take off the hob, they will finish cooking in the residual heat of the pan while you do the toast.
Free range eggs for preference.

So a reasonable knob of butter into a small saucepan, I always use the same one to ensure a consistent result.

Then when the butter is just starting to foam I turn the small hob ring to the lowest heat and add well whisked eggs. Some add salt and pepper to that, others just as it is nearly cooked.

Then stir fairly constantly on the low heat until the eggs are just firming up but still a bit runny.

Take it off the heat as the residual pan heat will continue the cooking process.

I serve up, on to toast natch, while the egg are just firm but still 'fluid', if that makes sense.

A shedload of Arrsers will now say that that is complete bollocks and that lobbing it in the microwave for 30 minutes is the only way to scramble eggs. :-D
sounds perfect to me

I serve up, on to toast natch, while the eggs are just firm but still 'fluid', if that makes sense.

Sounds perfect to me.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

As above, but just before serving, add a tablespoon of cream (how many tablespoons depends on how many servings) to the mix and then serve.
When duty slop on breakfast, the scrambled eggs was 60 eggs, beaten to withing an inch of their lives, and two pints of milk, cooked in the steamer for approx 45 mins and prior to serving on the hotplate, add a tin of Carnation evaporated milk, stir in and serve. This would ensure that the eggs remained slightly runny throughout breakfast service and not go rock hard so you had to slice it up with a knife.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
For one person I would :
Scramble 3 eggs, melt about 50g of butter in a frying pan, add the eggs, add another 75g of butter and stir until the eggs are setting then take off the hob, they will finish cooking in the residual heat of the pan while you do the toast.
Free range eggs for preference.
Do you break the eggs directly into the pan? - if so, it's exactly the same as I do, with the addition of white pepper - the whites are setting, the yolks are 'firming up' - just how they should be :hungry:

As above, but just before serving, add a tablespoon of cream (how many tablespoons depends on how many servings) to the mix and then serve.
When duty slop on breakfast, the scrambled eggs was 60 eggs, beaten to withing an inch of their lives, and two pints of milk, cooked in the steamer for approx 45 mins and prior to serving on the hotplate, add a tin of Carnation evaporated milk, stir in and serve. This would ensure that the eggs remained slightly runny throughout breakfast service and not go rock hard so you had to slice it up with a knife.

"Ere, my bleedin' scramblies weren't very baveuse this morning......."

The most important thing is having a 6" omelette pan, only used for scramblies and omelettes with a silicone stirrer, and only wipe, don't wash.

As soon as the pan starts sticking, demote it.

3 kids now, I've given up all pretensions of forms fof scrambled eggs. They like it.

Egg gets cracked in a mug and nuked for a minute...quick stir and nuked for another.

It works.

Do you break the eggs directly into the pan? - if so, it's exactly the same as I do, with the addition of white pepper - the whites are setting, the yolks are 'firming up' - just how they should be :hungry:
I give them a bit of a stir in a bowl first, not to the extent that the yolk and white have emulsified, just muddled a bit.

Experimented with my Ninja foodi gadget thing today and explored the dehydrating function on it.

Sliced a couple of apples and sprinkled cinnamon on them, and sliced up a banana. 8 hours later...

2020-01-18 21.46.43.jpg

Probably could have done with another hour or 2, I'm doing another batch now. Pretty much tastes what you'd expect dried fruit to taste like really.

@Toastie

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Experimented with my Ninja foodi gadget thing today and explored the dehydrating function on it.

Sliced a couple of apples and sprinkled cinnamon on them, and sliced up a banana. 8 hours later...

View attachment 444547

Probably could have done with another hour or 2, I'm doing another batch now. Pretty much tastes what you'd expect dried fruit to taste like really.

@Toastie
Are you making your own variety of pot pourri mixtures?

Green beans, chestnut mushrooms and mini potatoes (taken before gravy brownification). Not sure the mushrooms needed the red wine but it was going spare and I'm not going to drink the stuff. It tasted nice anyway.

The rest of the bottle will go in beef stew tomorrow.

veg.jpg

Latest Threads