Tonight I cooked..........

I'm just waiting for the dough to "prove"..about another 30 mins. Gonna attempt garlic naan.
All ovenless demonstrations I've seen on YouTube use gas hobs...to flip the naan in the flat pan "tawa" (I have one for chapattis) in order to crisp / char the surface over the flame. Our hob range is electric - just a solid glass smooth surface...not sure that bit of the method will work.
Should know in about 45 mins.
I thought that your Turbo Ninja Nutter machine had a naan bread setting - or was the the braised camels' bollocks setting?

Rab_C

War Hero
Et Voila!

View attachment 444360
View attachment 444361

They are definately not as good as the ones from the takeaways - but certainly better than the readymade ones you can buy. Texture is fluffy but they just dont have that "crisp" on the outside. My main problem was finding the correct setting to put the electric hob on. The ones with garlic were tempremental as the garlic tended to cook quicker than the dough. If I'm being honest - they taste almost identical to takeaway ones but - slight difference in texture / crisp on outside.

I'm declaring this a success.

Ingredients used: Flour, sea salt, oil,melted butter, Greek yoghurt, yeast, sugar. Fresh garlic & parsley.
B Z

I thought that your Turbo Ninja Nutter machine had a naan bread setting - or was the the braised camels' bollocks setting?
You know what...it does have a "crisp" setting...worth investigating I think. It's just took me 20 mins to clear all the mess I made though so gonna give baking a miss for a bit methinks!

You know what...it does have a "crisp" setting...worth investigating I think. It's just took me 20 mins to clear all the mess I made though so gonna give baking a miss for a bit methinks!
What were you doing with it In order to make a mess? Actually, don’t answer that :)

I only get a bit of flour on the countertop where I’ve rolled/shaped etc. Takes 30 seconds to wipe it down. Rest goes in the dishwasher. But it’s still only a bowl, dough cutter and the baking pan. Wouldn’t take 5 minutes to wash by hand.

I’ve come to the conclusion you must be one of my two young dogs. They could make a mess in an empty prison cell. Tear the bars off or something.

What were you doing with it In order to make a mess? Actually, don’t answer that :)

I only get a bit of flour on the countertop where I’ve rolled/shaped etc. Takes 30 seconds to wipe it down. Rest goes in the dishwasher. But it’s still only a bowl, dough cutter and the baking pan. Wouldn’t take 5 minutes to wash by hand.

I’ve come to the conclusion you must be one of my two young dogs. They could make a mess in an empty prison cell. Tear the bars off or something.
No matter how many YouTube vids I watch about doing things with flour...I always end up getting it / dough stuck to my fingers...and then everything else I touch during production of whatever.

I've even had to wipe down my Cig lighter! I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bity of dough stuck in my locker at work when I return on Tues!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
No matter how many YouTube vids I watch about doing things with flour...I always end up getting it / dough stuck to my fingers...and then everything else I touch during production of whatever.

I've even had to wipe down my Cig lighter! I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bity of dough stuck in my locker at work when I return on Tues!
Let it prove in a big freezer bag, unsealed and just lightly folded to allow it room to expand. Bowl can soak for a bit before washing and you get the dough off your fingers with the hand held shower/gezunkel nut remover attachment in the bathroom.

Flour your hands well before handling once proven and you're shaping it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Small tip - keep a box of latex/food handlers gloves in the kitchen for messy gooey jobs.

Those things only come in one size - too fucking small.

I wreck them just getting them on and if I do succeed, the second I move my fingers they split.

It was hard work, very dry and when I pulled it out the nan had gone stone cold.
Did you call an ambulance for your poor grandmother?

How was the bread though? :D

Pita/naan around ten inches across sliced in half and then each half gently split open to leave a pocket. Shove in a little salad and thin slices of rare steak straight off the grill. Dollop of moutabal or aioli (peri peri mayo also works) and neck like the savage beast you are.

Grilled tomatoes, poached eggs for breakfast
20200118_092847_resized.jpg

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Been making sourdough bread because my family like it. It's OK but when toasted it is like eating ceramic tiles and cuts the roof of my mouth. Back to plain white I think. And Rye/wholemeal (very filling).

I have a couple of secret weapons in my kitchen for baking:

F0E6BEE7-6A73-411E-B0AD-C0E5EE5D27A3.jpeg

The shakers were something like $5 for the pair on Amazon. They have plastic lids to keep the moisture out when not in use. The flour makes bread shaping simple and easy to clean up. The cornmeal makes making pizza easy, they slide off the peel very easily.

Latest Threads