Tonight I cooked..........

Cafetières and . . . . produce a variant of coffee but not the real thing.
Depends how you use them (as with Aeropress and other faddy hand-helds, which deliver a pale imitiation of the high pressure/high temperature steam-driven countertop retail industrial machine).

Most folk seem to expect to get decent coffee by exposing the grounds to hot water, and then ramming the plunger home.

Epic fail.

Cover the grounds in the cafetiere with hot water to about twice the depth of the dry grounds, leave for 5 to 7 minutes, then use the plunger, and pour the liquid into a cup/mug.

Add milk/sugar aspartame to taste and top up with hot water to the desired full volume gives a quite different and quite palatable brew.

I accept that a big multi-shot Starbucks bucket of coffee has more caffeine than a single espresso.

But a long Americano made with a single shot has as much caffeine as the espresso with which it was watered down. Maffs, innit.

I accept that a big multi-shot Starbucks bucket of coffee has more caffeine than a single espresso.

But a long Americano made with a single shot has as much caffeine as the espresso with which it was watered down. Maffs, innit.
No disagreement there, but the French press or drop filter has more caffeine per serving from the same amount of ground coffee. If its caffeine you really want then the boiled Turkish/Greek coffee is what you need. Plus a dose of the screaming abdabs if you end up drinking the grounds in the bottom of the cup too

No disagreement there, but the French press or drop filter has more caffeine per serving from the same amount of ground coffee. If its caffeine you really want then the boiled Turkish/Greek coffee is what you need. Plus a dose of the screaming abdabs if you end up drinking the grounds in the bottom of the cup too
Thus the glass of water.

Plus a dose of the screaming abdabs if you end up drinking the grounds in the bottom of the cup too
In the medical trade, as I understand it, this is an extreme expression of what is known as "the urge to purge", which is a normal consequence of drinking coffee.

It also reminds me that (having given up on coffee after having one of those mini Kona style pots on a hotplate in my office, followed by a long but unsatisfactory relationship with instant coffees) I was re-introduced to the joys of fresh coffee by the IDF, with whom I spent a coupla weeks on a course in 2001.

At break time (once a.m. and once p.m.) they'd produce a Burco boiler, a bowl of coffee grounds and a stack of plastic cups (with some jugs of milk in the a.m. but not the p.m., 'cuz Kosher, and that)

Method: lob coffe in cup, cover with hot water, wait till the the grounds sank. Add milk (or not) and sweeten, then sup, until the grounds began to stick to your teeth.

Once I got the hang of it, the coffee was really enjoyable, mainly because it was good quality beans fresh ground.

Good old Jewish hospitality meant I didn't half pile on the inches over that trip, mind. Couldn't remotely fit into my Cyprus-tailored SD for the end-of-course presentations :-D

Tonights repast.
Loch trout on a bed of couscous, prawn and oriental veg stir fry (Aldi frozen Thai veg).

dinner.JPG

Mrs Biff let me have the biggest filet.

Last edited:

Donny

ADC
It’s getting a bit chilly outside so I’ve made a start on warming stews. Chicken, ham and veg with a handful of lentils tonight - very tasty with some warm bread to mop up the gravy.
A258CFCC-95BD-4A26-A230-A3814E56FD54.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
It’s getting a bit chilly outside so I’ve made a start on warming stews. Chicken, ham and veg with a handful of lentils tonight - very tasty with some warm bread to mop up the gravy.
View attachment 424504
That all in looks the canines cajones, Mukker.
Though a few shades browner would improve it no end.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 424504
Classic! Makes me feel hungry again.

Only thing about those is I thought they were cast aluminium which put me off..
They do them in stainless, which I use, not that I have anything against aluminium.

Bialetti Stainless Steel

ETA - some stove top coffee facts and moka lore as well. I can only be arsed on a weekend but it beats the shit out of any other IMO.

Last edited:

Latest Threads