Tonight I cooked..........

padme

War Hero
Boiled 2 Kilos of Mushrooms my Husband collected on Hohne Ranges. Will freeze most and keep a portion for tomorrow's dinner.

Sri Lankan chicken curry with parathas, made with roasted curry powder and cinnamon that my daughter brought back from a holiday there, with fresh curry leaves and coconut milk.

DSCN4147.JPG

Sri Lankan chicken curry with parathas, made with roasted curry powder and cinnamon that my daughter brought back from a holiday there, with fresh curry leaves and coconut milk.

View attachment 424344
I have said before- I really like that bowl.
Just trying to work out the increment markings...

Brown mustard isn’t French mustard mate. It has a higher concentration of brown mustard seeds, giving it a darker brown color and spicier taste. It's frequently used in Indian, Chinese and Japanese cuisines. It comes from a flowering plant in the same family as arugula, horseradish and wasabi, which is why brown mustard has an extremely pungent flavor. Nice though!

I still remember this ad.

The only immediate analogy I can think of is real ale & lager. Both made of malt, hops, yeast & liquor producing beer, but end product not the same!
Thank the Lord! Though I may not have recognized it as such at the time, Her Majesty sent me to Germany on a most educational odyssey; oh Lord do I like German beer :)

I don’t do omelettes much . Mrs bought an omelette maker though couple of months ago. Results were satisfactory / good. Haven’t noticed it on the worktop of late though, in fact I’d totally forgot about it.
Guess it’s in the cupboard with the fondue machine, veg thing and raclette grill.
I recently invested in a £2.99 Aldi scrambliedeggmaker for the microwave (due to the recent absence from my home of basic kitchen amenities - to include a kitchen) made of silicon. 1 tbsp milk, 2 eggs, some ham, nuke for 90secs, half-decent breakfast. A godsend.

Thank the Lord! Though I may not have recognized it as such at the time, Her Majesty sent me to Germany on a most educational odyssey; oh Lord do I like German beer :)
Believe me, so did I! As far from the sex-in-a-canoe sold over here as lager as can possibly be :)

Sadly had to give it up. See Going Dry thread.

Noticeable in what way, pray tell?

Aside from the fact that there's less of it in the cup to stick to your teeth, when using modern tools, the taste and effect are pretty much identical, assuming same bean/roast used to make the brew.
Nope, there's a difference that I can taste.

Espresso coffee has been exposed to the high pressure water for a much shorter period of time and it gives a 'cleaner' but more intense brew.

I can tell the difference between an Americano - espresso with added water, and a cafetiere coffee of the same volume, and a drip filter coffee. And that's not counting the fact that there's less caffeine in an espresso than the other two.

It's a bit like having a cup of tea made with fresh boiling water in a warmed pot, and a cup made from stewing the tea for 10 minutes in less than boiling water in the hope of getting some flavour apart from the tanins out

Kirkz

LE
Fvcking brew snobs, what's wrong with the old if it's warm and wet it'll do.

Fvcking brew snobs, what's wrong with the old if it's warm and wet it'll do.
You've lost me at this point: there was this ongoing discussion about the innate differences (if any) between machine-made and stovetop coffee, and suddenly you pipe up about "Grab A Granny" night at your local disco . . . . .

Believe me, so did I! As far from the sex-in-a-canoe sold over here as lager as can possibly be :)

Sadly had to give it up. See Going Dry thread.
In Germany there is no lager. Pilsner-style brews (heavily hopped, massive head, slow pouring), and Bavarian-style biers (sweeter, flatter, ideal for long sessions on a hot summer day), ja ja. Aber lager - nein nein.

The Brit label is a corruption of the word used to describe the storing (Ge. vb. lagern) of the traditional brew, in a cold cellar until ready to be served. I suspect it's to do with ensuring the brew was crystal-clear, as it's a lively fermentation and inclined to be cloudy, if not done well and with patience (from memory, having not home-brewed for 2 decades, and Pilsner-style but once, with disappointing results).

9 Points for "sex-in-a-canoe", BTW. I prefer "making love in a punt", personally :thumleft:

Nope, there's a difference that I can taste.

Espresso coffee has been exposed to the high pressure water for a much shorter period of time and it gives a 'cleaner' but more intense brew.

I can tell the difference between an Americano - espresso with added water, and a cafetiere coffee of the same volume, and a drip filter coffee. And that's not counting the fact that there's less caffeine in an espresso than the other two.

It's a bit like having a cup of tea made with fresh boiling water in a warmed pot, and a cup made from stewing the tea for 10 minutes in less than boiling water in the hope of getting some flavour apart from the tanins out
I agree with most of that, apart from the emboldened bit.

An Americano made with one shot of espresso and hot water has the same amount of caffeine as the single espresso. Fairly obviously.

Cafetières and drip filters produce a variant of coffee but not the real thing. Better than instant, but that’s it.

I like coffee and prefer it short and strong. I have been through every coffee making gadget/process in the known universe and have finally settled on the best way of producing it - Nespresso capsules. I kid you not.

I have a great big Nespresso machine but I rarely use it nowadays. I bought a small Krups one for about £75 which I use all the time. Dead easy to use and keep clean. Makes a lovely espresso with Lidl Nespresso pods at 15p/cup, nice cream on top. Makes a lovely two shot Americano for 30p. No faff, no mess.

Top tips: run the machine for a few seconds to get the hot water all the way through; heat the cup with boiling water; put the hot water in first if making an Americano.

Best coffee away from home: Costa double espresso in a takeaway cup with a small amount of hot water in it. Forget the chamber pot sized cups.

Cafetières and . . . . produce a variant of coffee but not the real thing.
Depends how you use them (as with Aeropress and other faddy hand-helds, which deliver a pale imitiation of the high pressure/high temperature steam-driven countertop retail industrial machine).

Most folk seem to expect to get decent coffee by exposing the grounds to hot water, and then ramming the plunger home.

Epic fail.

Cover the grounds in the cafetiere with hot water to about twice the depth of the dry grounds, leave for 5 to 7 minutes, then use the plunger, and pour the liquid into a cup/mug.

Add milk/sugar aspartame to taste and top up with hot water to the desired full volume gives a quite different and quite palatable brew.

I accept that a big multi-shot Starbucks bucket of coffee has more caffeine than a single espresso.

But a long Americano made with a single shot has as much caffeine as the espresso with which it was watered down. Maffs, innit.

I accept that a big multi-shot Starbucks bucket of coffee has more caffeine than a single espresso.

But a long Americano made with a single shot has as much caffeine as the espresso with which it was watered down. Maffs, innit.
No disagreement there, but the French press or drop filter has more caffeine per serving from the same amount of ground coffee. If its caffeine you really want then the boiled Turkish/Greek coffee is what you need. Plus a dose of the screaming abdabs if you end up drinking the grounds in the bottom of the cup too

Latest Threads