Tonight I cooked..........

Tony_O

Swinger
Hey don’t knock our Maori brethren.

Did you know why did the Maori family drive past the Speed Camera exceeding the speed limit?

They wanted a family photo
Why did they drive past again?
They forgot to smile.

Also have a google of Rēwena bread!
Another gem of a bread.

Hey don’t knock our Maori brethren.

Did you know why did the Maori family drive past the Speed Camera exceeding the speed limit?

They wanted a family photo
Why did they drive past again?
They forgot to smile.

Also have a google of Rēwena bread!
Another gem of a bread.
This recipe seems to skip the traditional origins and uses pre-packaged yeast:
How to Make Rewena Bread

Interesting that yeast was cultured from fermented potatoes but it seems a fickle process so packaged yeast is often used. Nāku te Rourou: He Rewena Reka / Delicious Rēwena Bread – Library News

Kirkz

LE
I've always preferred instant, so there's probably no hope for me. I stopped smoking nearly three years ago and knocked caffeine on the head at the same time and feel better for it.
Real men smell of fags, stale beer and sweat.
Fags are £4:50 a pack off my mate Ian.

@Roadster280 you’re the bread guru on here. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!
I have to say I am appalled by the idea of frying bread dough. I might give it a go just for shits 'n giggles and to demonstrate to myself that I'm not a stick-in-the-mud, but a) I'll have to be pissed, b) erm, ewww :(.

God invented yeast for four distinct purposes:

1) Beer (natch),
2) Leavened bread,
3) Marmite to put on it,
4) Pissing women off with their infernal infections.

Having mastered 1) and 2), enjoyed 3) and thankful 4) doesn't apply, I am loathe to disturb the Gods and make what amounts to a thick pita. But to borrow a phrase from one Mr S Connery, never say never.

I used to quite like the Turkish coffee in Germany. It was like tar, and a real shock to this person’s system when I was younger. Necking a couple before a drive to catch a ferry was ace.
Turkish/Greek/Cypriot - proper espresso.

All same-same

Had a Greek Cyp coffee while awaiting a welding job on my exhaust (Nicosia, 1986).

I'd hung one on (a big 'un) the night before, and skipped brekker, so my metabolic resources were a tad depleted.

About 10 seconds after I swallowed the coffee, the caffeine hit and I was twanging like Little Richard's piano strings for the next three hours.

Talk about feck'n hard-wired!! :thumleft:

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
So - illegally imported knock-offs, most likely.

And likely enriching some of the vilest and most violent criminals the Balkan nations have ever produced.

Result.
Probably, but I'd rather pay £4:50 to kill myself than £11:00.

Turkish coffee not espresso. It’s brewed as I described by boiling the coffee in the water.

Espresso made by forcing steam through coffee to extract oils. As any fule kno.

Turkish coffee not espresso. It’s brewed as I described by boiling the coffee in the water.

Espresso made by forcing steam through coffee to extract oils. As any fule kno.
Small portion of highly concentrated hot coffee.

Different process.

Result? Same-same.

Espresso = quicker.

Hence name.

Obvs.

I have to say I am appalled by the idea of frying bread dough. I might give it a go just for shits 'n giggles and to demonstrate to myself that I'm not a stick-in-the-mud, but a) I'll have to be pissed, b) erm, ewww :(.

God invented yeast for four distinct purposes:

1) Beer (natch),
2) Leavened bread,
3) Marmite to put on it,
4) Pissing women off with their infernal infections.

Having mastered 1) and 2), enjoyed 3) and thankful 4) doesn't apply, I am loathe to disturb the Gods and make what amounts to a thick pita. But to borrow a phrase from one Mr S Connery, never say never.
Prove as normal. Chunk of dough half the size of your fist flattened to an oval shape by hand, around 5mm thick. Give it ten minutes to develop some CO2 on a floured surface then into hot oil. done right the oil seals the outside and the dough steams and stays fresh and moist. Needs 3-4 minutes until golden brown then flip and 2 minutes on the other side.

Split and fill with mince and potato curry - lush!

It was always fun asking for Turkish coffee in Athens.

I was a bit more restrained asking for Greek coffee in Istanbul.

I went to see a company in Istanbul called BIMSA. Bloke asks me if I want a coffee. Yes please. He goes to the window, opens it and shouts down at the street. A few minutes later a young lad comes into the office with a tray of coffee pots and glasses of water (which I avoided as the notice in the Hilton said drink bottled water only).

Dunno if it works above about the tenth floor.

Small portion of highly concentrated hot coffee.

Different process.

Result? Same-same.

Espresso = quicker.

Hence name.

Obvs.
honnestly, i diskard him, my deres...

Guys listen in- here is my gift to you all.

Maori Bread

This bread has a doughnut texture but none of the sugar. It’s bloody awesome.

You will need
  1. 3 1/2 cups self rising flour
  2. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  3. Plenty of cold water, to mix
  4. oil, for fryin’.
    • In a large bowl measure the flour, then add salt. Gradually add enough cold water to make a soft dough, mix through with a wooden spoon, but don't over mix.
    • Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and push or roll dough out to 1 1/2 cm thickness.
    • Cut into the desired size, then place each piece into the preheated hot oil and fry til golden on both sides and double the size.
Are you missing bicarb from that recipe?

Got a picture of the results?

Latest Threads