Anchovies with roasted peppers
20191019_190251_resized.jpg

Roast sea bream, fennel, tomatoes, potatoes
20191019_193830_resized.jpg

Lemon meringue pie
20191019_201034_resized.jpg

in the classic film “Expresso Bongo”.
Principal character "Bert Rudge".

Played by moody young rock'n'roller Harry Webb who fought his way to stardom from the mean, gritty yet-surprisingly-surface-to-catered post-war streets of . . . . err . . . Chesham.

That does indeed say it all :-D

Principal character "Bert Rudge".

Played by moody young rock'n'roller Harry Webb who fought his way to stardom from the mean, gritty yet-surprisingly-surface-to-catered post-war streets of . . . . err . . . Chesham.

That does indeed say it all :-D
That’s the fella. Whatever happened to him, eh?

I know I'm a peasant, but I hanker for the taste of NAAFI instant from the big tin, 2 sugars and a dollop of evaporated milk. As much nostalgia as taste.
I swear to God that's why German coffee (invariably whitened with condensed milk) is the worst in Europe.

Runners-up in two world wars, rationing and ersatzkafee in both (plus the bitter taste of defeat) and it's no fackin' wonder they've completely forgotten what good coffee really tastes like, and settle for the kind of shoite you might make from a GI's C Ration pack given as payment for a blowjob on tbe way to VE Day (or an early grave) :thumleft:

I swear to God that's why German coffee (invariably whitened with condensed milk) is the worst in Europe.

Runners-up in two world wars, rationing and ersatzkafee in both (plus the bitter taste of defeat) and it's no fackin' wonder they've completely forgotten what good coffee really tastes like, and settle for the kind of shoite you might make from a GI's C Ration pack given as payment for a blowjob on tbe way to VE Day (or an early grave) :thumleft:
I used to quite like the Turkish coffee in Germany. It was like tar, and a real shock to this person’s system when I was younger. Necking a couple before a drive to catch a ferry was ace.

I used to quite like the Turkish coffee in Germany. It was like tar, and a real shock to this person’s system when I was younger. Necking a couple before a drive to catch a ferry was ace.
Spent time in Turkey as part of my studies. Absolutely loved the coffee!

IIRC the ground coffee was put in the pot & then boiled up three times before serving with the grounds still in it. Have a coffee pot for making the stuff somewhere.

IIRC the ground coffee was put in the pot & then boiled up three times before serving with the grounds still in it. Have a coffee pot for making the stuff somewhere.
I can believe that. It could make your hair stand on end. I have never been to Turkey, but Turkish cafes in the U.K. just can’t hit the heights of the cafes in Germany.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
An Americano is basically a strong black coffee, you can have milk though if you want, I tend to just to take away the harshness of plain black coffee.
Decent coffee does not need milk.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah but proper greasy spoon type Café coffee is mainly frothy milk.
To my mind greasy spoon cafes are the place to have mugs of tea with fried bkfsts.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I've only had Turkish coffee once when I took the train from Bavaria to Salzburg on a day off, ordered one at a cafe and was surprised when it came with a glass of water.

Took a swig of the coffee and thought 'bloody hell', took a swig of the water which tasted really sulphurous, then drank the coffee to take away the taste of the water. :-D

I gave you a dislike, not because I hate you, but you drink 'frothy coffee', you perverted tw@t.
I have stood behind a few of your ilk ordering a cappuccino, or some such beverage requiring that noisy machine and an increase of my waiting time behind you milk loving, teat suckling, milk biotherers.
Are you a baby!!!
Switch to Americanos or you are dead to me.
Doppio ristretto it is, you gay bar loitering mince.

My final comment on coffee in this thread, my angst derives from waiting for you milk supping, titty loving, babies, that cause me to wait in line for an inordinate amount of time.
Some have said you should have a seperate queue, me, I wish you all a violent death.
Frothy coffee my arrse!!
While I like titties, I find my favorite feminine curves are lower.

However, this doesn't make me want to take anyone up on the offer of frothy arse coffee.

You are just sick.

WTF is an Americano?

Time was, you'd simply ask for 'a strong black coffee', but then these hipster cnuts and coffee chain barons with their marketing gurus came along, suddenly every cvnt wants 'flat white' or a shagging 'lar-tay' ('cuz they're all so s'fisstika'ed, yah, OKAY).

These are made-up names, used by Big Brands to get you to part with the price of a pint for an inferior brew decorated with (literally) tasteless 'art' by a skinny bearded wimp with a manbun and no discernibly valuable skills.

Wise up.
Where the hell do you go to for your coffee, if it costs that much? Even in the City, most places charge about 1.49 to 2.25 or something for a flat white.

Fantastic! During my travels there, I got addicted to it,

To the kitchenette in the corner of my workplace, where I can make myself a very decent cup of proper coffee for under a tenth of the lesser of those prices.
Don't get wrong - that's what I do on my most days for free (nice quality too), but when you said charging the price of a pint for a cup of coffee, that's what I was responding to you about.

Don't get wrong - that's what I do on my most days for free (nice quality too), but when you said charging the price of a pint for a cup of coffee, that's what I was responding to you about.
In a moment of desperation (trapped in a motorway journey) I might - just - give in and pay coffee shop prices, preferring to buy at the BK counter if available (around £1). But I'd still want them to point a gun at my head, 'cuz even that price is highway robbery!!

And tight tw@t that I am, I seldom go pubbing these days, on account of the taxation-driven exorbitant price of a pint in most of them. So - since you seem to spend 7 very un-American nights a week propping up bars assorted, I'm happy to regard you as an authority on the current cost of a beer :thumleft:

(And there you were, already planning to relocate to here, to halve your cost of 'living'! ^~ )

Latest Threads