Tonight I cooked..........

Chicken katsu curry with coconut sticky rice & crispy onions, shiitake mushrooms in teriyaki sauce with dulse, chives & sesame seeds, oriental style pickles:

39803484-3F2B-4715-BFD0-D3E1926028B8.jpeg

Any better?

Katsu means cutlet. Generally chicken & breaded.

Dulse is from the Irish. It’s a red seaweed, often known as the bacon of the sea. It’s a big flavour enhancer, & contains just about all elements needed in the human diet & a shed load of protein.

I mainly chucked it in with the mushrooms as I was thinking seaweed goes with Japanese food & because I had an open packet of the dried stuff I didn’t want to go off!

If you can get it, Hirsch spices do a patty burger spice and a houtskool boerewors spice. 3kg patty burger spice to 1kg boerewors spice and mix well. Keeps for ages so you can either store it in a sealed container or spread the goodness among your mates. Cost is around 12 squids in these parts for close to 9lbs of the mix.

Burger spice flavours and binds and the boerie spice adds great flavour to burgers and meatballs. Add a bit of ice water to the mince to cope with the rusk, around a cup of water per kilo of meat.

Make meatballs formed around chunks of blue cheese or mature cheddar. Shove in roasting dish and into a hot oven for 40 minutes or so until browned. They'll release a fair bit of liquid which is the base for a dashed fine gravy.

Keep cheesy meatballs warm and when the gravy is done, stick them back in the roasting dish and slosh the gravy over them.

Try not to scoff the long thin bits with the crunchy ends when you nick one for a taster - those are your fingers.
Thank you, I shall check that out :)

Katsu means cutlet. Generally chicken & breaded.

Dulse is from the Irish. It’s a red seaweed, often known as the bacon of the sea. It’s a big flavour enhancer, & contains just about all elements needed in the human diet & a shed load of protein.

I mainly chucked it in with the mushrooms as I was thinking seaweed goes with Japanese food & because I had an open packet of the dried stuff I didn’t want to go off!

Not tonight I cooked but "Wasabi" the chain restaurant makes a mean Katsu curry meal for 5.99.

Thank you, I shall check that out :)
Three of these...

To one of these...

They do a load of other stuff as well if you're into making your own sausages and curing meats.

I see the price has gone up a bit. Around 17 Quid for 9 lbs of the mix. I made a batch two years ago and it's still going strong with around 50% used so far.

1. Today a salad lunch, carrotte rapee under all that:

2. from Lidl, £5.90 (i hope is will be worth it)

IMG_6284.jpeg
IMG_6230.jpeg
IMG_6230.jpeg

Top tip for buying tuna from LIDL.

A four can “tube” of tuna in sunflower oil is £3.49 for four 145gram tins.

A single 160gram tin is 75p. More for less.

Every little helps!

BBQ'd a nice Peppered Pork Chop in a Sweet Whiskey Glaze last night, served with Gratin Potatoes in Red Leicester:

1570716891553.png

I bet this got your hopes up @Kirkz ;)

1570716973955.png

1570719361553.png

1570717302366.png

1570717373807.png

1570717156932.png

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE

Latest Threads