Tonight I cooked..........

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Do you have the recipe/instructions for that salt free curing process?

My River Cottage Curing and Smoking handbook uses half a kg of salt.

And half a kg of sugar, which I would prefer not to use.

It still has salt but no curing salt, it's the nitrates in curing salt that are apparently the big cancer causing baddie. I've no idea what causes what anymore but supposedly it's so toxic that it inhibits the bacteria growth that causes botulism. Some people seem to say without it you run the risk of not curing properly, some say that it's fine for bacon but not for hams that you eat without cooking.
But without the second week of letting to stand your meat should still be within date regardless so should be fine, just check your dates when buying

The sugar thing isn't much to worry about, you throw away 90% if the curing rub anyway it's not like you're eating a lb of sugar etc

Certainly worth doing to see what real bacon should be like, it's just the week of prep that can be a bit tiresome

It's been a few years since I played about with it, but a few observations......

If you get belly pork with the ribs in, cut them out in a sheet, then get a nice chinese rib meal out of them.

After curing, the skin is so tough, it's almost impossible to cut, so cut it off first......roasting in a tray in the oven will give you some nice pork crackling.

After the cure, unless you're going to eat it quickly, slice it, portion it, wrap them in cling film, and freeze.

It's right, it's very tasty, but my wife can't abide streaky bacon, so I gave up .

Recipe & method please! Looks like something I’d quite like to try.
I get them from a local butchers shop and they were great - Woods Traditional Family Butchers | Hampshire

They do deliver nationwide (although I don't see them on their online menu) so drop them a line and see if they can send some out. The lads there are very good friendly people.

I smoked them upto an internal temp of 80C, so they would be fine roasted in any kitchen oven:

1570630510960.png

Kirkz

LE
Bowl of homemade veg broth with Parmesan shavings and a couple if slices of malted bloomer.

20191009_153937-756x526.jpg

It still has salt but no curing salt, it's the nitrates in curing salt that are apparently the big cancer causing baddie. I've no idea what causes what anymore but supposedly it's so toxic that it inhibits the bacteria growth that causes botulism. Some people seem to say without it you run the risk of not curing properly, some say that it's fine for bacon but not for hams that you eat without cooking.
But without the second week of letting to stand your meat should still be within date regardless so should be fine, just check your dates when buying

The sugar thing isn't much to worry about, you throw away 90% if the curing rub anyway it's not like you're eating a lb of sugar etc

Certainly worth doing to see what real bacon should be like, it's just the week of prep that can be a bit tiresome
Thanks.

That was the method I had in the handbook.

I hadn’t clocked the difference between “salt” and “curing salt”.

Duh! Botulism here I come then.

I didn't want butter, but I can agree it tastes nice.
It's a plate.
Er...as the sides appear to be more than 18.53% of the radius, technically - it’s a bowl.
We need to maintain accuracy in describing our crockery, and meals arranged there on/in

in a similar vein, not unlike the old basic training trick of perfectly ironing your sheet and counterpane - and sleeping under the bed in a sleeping bag...

I’m toying with creating meals by ‘the rules’, and in order to avoid breaking rules of symmetry / alignment during the eating of - to simply have a meal n a milkshake type thing instead .

Last edited:
I get them from a local butchers shop and they were great - Woods Traditional Family Butchers | Hampshire

They do deliver nationwide (although I don't see them on their online menu) so drop them a line and see if they can send some out. The lads there are very good friendly people.

I smoked them upto an internal temp of 80C, so they would be fine roasted in any kitchen oven:

View attachment 421775
If you can get it, Hirsch spices do a patty burger spice and a houtskool boerewors spice. 3kg patty burger spice to 1kg boerewors spice and mix well. Keeps for ages so you can either store it in a sealed container or spread the goodness among your mates. Cost is around 12 squids in these parts for close to 9lbs of the mix.

Burger spice flavours and binds and the boerie spice adds great flavour to burgers and meatballs. Add a bit of ice water to the mince to cope with the rusk, around a cup of water per kilo of meat.

Make meatballs formed around chunks of blue cheese or mature cheddar. Shove in roasting dish and into a hot oven for 40 minutes or so until browned. They'll release a fair bit of liquid which is the base for a dashed fine gravy.

Keep cheesy meatballs warm and when the gravy is done, stick them back in the roasting dish and slosh the gravy over them.

Try not to scoff the long thin bits with the crunchy ends when you nick one for a taster - those are your fingers.

Kirkz

LE
Er...as the sides appear to be more than 18.53% of the radius, technically - it’s a bowl.
We need to maintain accuracy in describing our crockery, and meals arranged there on/in

in a similar vein, not unlike the old basic training trick of perfectly ironing your sheet and counterpane - and sleeping under the bed in a sleeping bag...

I’m toying with creating meals by ‘the rules’, and in order to avoid breaking rules of symmetry / alignment during the eating of - to simply have a meal n a milkshake type thing instead .
The blue thing is definitely a plate, a side plate to be specific, as a bowl it wouldn't hold much more than a thimble full of liquid.

It having been suggested that my cooking a bit lah-di-dah last night I warmed up rather than cooked:

DE275CAD-9FD3-420A-B473-DF4FA7BE1075.jpeg

Nice dose of hot curry ketchup on the side. It’s been maturing in cupboard for a while & a lot hotter than I remember.

Just the thing after a 15-miler on bike in dark & rain. There may be a reason that all this exercise isn’t making me lose weight, though ;)

Kirkz

LE
It having been suggested that my cooking a bit lah-di-dah last night I warmed up rather than cooked:

View attachment 421811

Nice dose of hot curry ketchup on the side. It’s been maturing in cupboard for a while & a lot hotter than I remember.

Just the thing after a 15-miler on bike in dark & rain. There may be a reason that all this exercise isn’t making me lose weight, though ;)
From Lah di dah to sh1t on a plate in one move.

Latest Threads