Tonight I cooked..........

It's weird how nostalgia affects perception of taste. I'm sure there are far better sausages out there, but I would love to try a compo sausage again. While looking for photos of the genuine article, I saw compo chicken curry (canned) and Goulash, both of which I enjoyed at the time. But I bet I could make a better Goulash or chicken curry these days. And it wouldn't be 12 years old.

But then again neither would it be served in a mess tin while piss wet through and freezing, and that's possibly why I enjoyed those things at the time.

Froggy onion soup
20191008_181031_resized(1).jpg

Cheap and cheerful but very tasty

Pretty sure they were real meat, I think they said "Pork Sausages" on the can end. They were packed in fat, so you could fry them.

Edited to add. No they didn't say "pork":

You swine, Roadster. That has caused me some trauma, that has. I’m having flashbacks. I will speak to my solicitor and be taking legal action.
I know, I’m only after the compo.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Belated birthday dinner for me tonight. Everyone ended up being out last night (actual birthday), so it was tonight.

Pizzas on my beloved BGE. I don't make these very often; it's a ballache to make the dough a couple days in advance and still have the same plans for dinner two days later. So this was 3-day old dough. Even better for pizzas.

Got new thermometers for my BGEs as a present. Happy Birthday, Dad :)

IMG_3777 2.JPG

IMG_7756 2.JPG

IMG_1195 2.JPG

IMG_8071 2.JPG

IMG_3215 2.JPG

IMG_3503 2.JPG

Froggy onion soup
View attachment 421605

Cheap and cheerful but very tasty
Look, just admit it...you've finally crossed over to "The brown side" and whipped up a bowl of onion gravy!

If it helps though...you can call it 'jus d'oignon'.

Look, just admit it...you've finally crossed over to "The brown side" and whipped up a bowl of onion gravy!

If it helps though...you can call it 'jus d'oignon'.
TBH you're probably right

Decided to make some of my own bacon, found a river cottage recipe that says doesn't need any curing salt so tried it.

Possibly the nicest beacon I've ever had! The faff is quite strong though, a week long job. I didn't let it sit for a second week so that the pork was still 'in date', I didn't fancy mucking around with botulism.
View attachment 421693
Do you have the recipe/instructions for that salt free curing process?

My River Cottage Curing and Smoking handbook uses half a kg of salt.

And half a kg of sugar, which I would prefer not to use.

Latest Threads