Tonight I cooked..........

What would be the point anyway? Dried pasta is a cheap readily available shop bought item.

Although Im not persuaded that fresh is so much better than dried that it justifies the expense, storage space and faff of hand making it.

Happy to have it explained anew, nevertheless.
No storage. Five minutes to mix the dough, chuck in fridge in a plastic bag for a few hours, ten minutes to roll out and three minutes to cook.

You can also freeze the dough and use it later. Just defrost, dust with flour and carry on as normal.

Trick is to have the sauce ready to go when you start rolling the dough. You'll be nostils deep in good pasta within fifteen minutes. I make the tagliatelle/fettucine a bit thicker than the dried stuff you buy. Just prefer it with a more solid feel.

Also good chucked into a wok for a few seconds with oyster sauce chicken or spicy garlic chili prawns.

No storage. Five minutes to mix the dough, chuck in fridge in a plastic bag for a few hours, ten minutes to roll out and three minutes to cook.

You can also freeze the dough and use it later. Just defrost, dust with flour and carry on as normal.

Trick is to have the sauce ready to go when you start rolling the dough. You'll be nostils deep in good pasta within fifteen minutes. I make the tagliatelle/fettucine a bit thicker than the dried stuff you buy. Just prefer it with a more solid feel.

Also good chucked into a wok for a few seconds with oyster sauce chicken or spicy garlic chili prawns.
You have to find somewhere to store the pasta machine and ancillary attachments.

And no mention in your excellent summary of a significant flavour advantage over dried pasta.

Despite being a gadget lover, I remain unmoved :)

Better texture, you can flavour it if you like using spinach or beetroot and the machine packs up pretty small. I use it a lot so no need to store it somewhere obscure and out of the way. Sits on a shelf in the kitchen with the stick blender attachments.

Storing gadgets is half the problem, if its stored it's a faff to get out, use and pack away. Just leave it out and use when needed, that way it's handy and no faffing.

What would be the point anyway? Dried pasta is a cheap readily available shop bought item.

Although Im not persuaded that fresh is so much better than dried that it justifies the expense, storage space and faff of hand making it.

Happy to have it explained anew, nevertheless.
I'm in the Stonker School of Spaghetti with you regarding pasta.

I just don't like the fresh pasta you can buy in shops. Nor have any of my friends attempts at home made fresh pasta ever made me think "hah, who needs Italians".

I prefer dried pasta and at 20p/packet in Tesco/LIDL etc I don't see the point of making it. I think you can only get the al dente effect with dried pasta.

Storing gadgets is half the problem, if its stored it's a faff to get out, use and pack away. Just leave it out and use when needed, that way it's handy and no faffing.
Let me xplain.

Mrs Stonker's seldom used smoothly maker, soup machine George Formby grill etcetera occupy a substantial percentage of the available work surfaces.

Because they are Hers they are by definition Tidy.

Anything that is His is, by the same definition, Untidy, and must be randomly squirreled away in nooks, crannies, corners and cupboards, irrespective of how regularly used, nor how hard to find it may become as a consequence.

Most recent victim is my best heavy-duty speed peeler: the one that will strip the skin off a butternut squash like a barber shaving the downy chin of a fair skinned lad of 16 summers. It has been MIA nearly a month.

This bodes Ill.

Last time it was my little set of measuring scoops, that finally turned up in the back of the bread bin after 6 months on the Wanted list :-( :roll:

Last edited:
Let me xplain.

Mrs Stonker's seldom used smoothly maker, soup machine George Formby grill etcetera occupy a substantial percentage of the available work surfaces.

Because they are Hers they are by definition Tidy.

Anything that is His is, by the same definition, Untidy, and must be randomly squirreled away in nooks, crannies, corners and cupboards, irrespective of how regularly used, nor how hard to find it may become as a consequence.

Most recent victim is my best heavy-duty speed peeler: the one that will strip the skin off a butternut squash like a barber shaving the downy chin of a fair skinned lad of 16 summers. It has been MIA nearly a month.

This bodes Ill.

Last time it was my little set of measuring scoops, that finally turned up in the back of the bread bin after 6 months on the Wanted list :-( :roll:
Perhaps if you ask nicely for your balls back she'll keep the machine in her handbag where they used to be.