Tonight I cooked..........

I heard that British troops brought back the recipe for bolognese sauce after WW2. Traditionally served with tagliatelle in Italy but the only pasta available in UK at the time was spaghetti so spagbol was born.
And you had to buy olive oil from chemists shops, in bottles barely bigger than a gin miniature.

And you had to buy olive oil from chemists shops, in bottles barely bigger than a gin miniature.
That was alright for commoners but connoisseurs had their own tableware (those who'd been abroad on other than forced trips anyway).
olive oil can.jpg

I heard that British troops brought back the recipe for bolognese sauce after WW2. Traditionally served with tagliatelle in Italy but the only pasta available in UK at the time was spaghetti so spagbol was born.
I am a bit dubious about that theory.

Admittedly the only data I have is limited and is based on Spine Millington's wartime memoirs. All him and his colleagues ever ate was egg and chips or the dreaded cold collation.

My barber is an Italian that has lived in Ulverston since the sixties. We talk at length at his shop and in the pub too. He is Sicilian and when we get on the subject of food he laughs his arrse off at our interpretation of Italian food. He reckons post war, they would eat any old shiit, and meat might have been a once in a week treat. Most of the time it was oranges for breakfast, dried bread for lunch and olives pasta and tomatoes the rest of the time. Despite being an Island, fish on the table of the working class was rare.
He reckons the idea that Italy is some great gastronomic nation is bollocks. I have to admit, outside the pizza, Italian food is a bit bland and just variations on what they can do with a bit of mince and some pasta.
That is fighting talk indeed.

Certainly Italian food was spartan and basic for a lot of people throughout history, but that applies to nearly all countries.

I think Italian food (in Italy!) is probably the best cuisine in Europe and in the top five globally. It is far from a bit of mince and some pasta. Italian restaurants in Britain are generally sh1te though (although the last two decades have seen the arrival of some excellent ones).

The Frogs like to think their haute cuisine is the DBs but it is only rebadged Italian developed when Marie Antoinette stole the Italian king's chefs.

If I could teleport to anywhere in Europe for dinner this evening it would be to Italy.

Watch The Trip To Italy with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan for a an overview of how good Italian food is (no mince).