Tonight I cooked..........

It's seriously funny that no Italian friends of mine actually know what a spagbol is...
Apparently because no Italian would put spaghetti with a thick ragu sauce. Spaghetti for thin light sauces, thick pasta like tagliatelle for meat ragus.

The British - going round the world, nicking other people's food and bastardising it since before we can remember.

Apparently because no Italian would put spaghetti with a thick ragu sauce. Spaghetti for thin light sauces, thick pasta like tagliatelle for meat ragus.

The British - going round the world, nicking other people's food and bastardising it since before we can remember.
Just wait until you see my chicken tikka bolognese with tortillas.

My barber is an Italian that has lived in Ulverston since the sixties. We talk at length at his shop and in the pub too. He is Sicilian and when we get on the subject of food he laughs his arrse off at our interpretation of Italian food. He reckons post war, they would eat any old shiit, and meat might have been a once in a week treat. Most of the time it was oranges for breakfast, dried bread for lunch and olives pasta and tomatoes the rest of the time. Despite being an Island, fish on the table of the working class was rare.
He reckons the idea that Italy is some great gastronomic nation is bollocks. I have to admit, outside the pizza, Italian food is a bit bland and just variations on what they can do with a bit of mince and some pasta.

And why not throw the shrooms into the curry? Seems like extra work.
No flavour. They just absorb the flavour of whatever thing they're floating about in.

Better to fry them in butter, perhaps with garlic, white pepper and a bit of cream to actually taste the delicate flavour, than just have a bunch of slightly chewy lumps floating about that taste like whatever they're in.

No flavour. They just absorb the flavour of whatever thing they're floating about in.

Better to fry them in butter, perhaps with garlic, white pepper and a bit of cream to actually taste the delicate flavour, than just have a bunch of slightly chewy lumps floating about that taste like whatever they're in.
Fair point. I might try that.

Bit of smoked chook breast, couple of garlic fried mushrooms well drained, parmesan and a bit of egg to help bind it, chopped in a blender and shoved into big raviolis chucked into a soup or stew work well. Not quite dumplings but a similar idea.

It's seriously funny that no Italian friends of mine actually know what a spagbol is...
I heard that British troops brought back the recipe for bolognese sauce after WW2. Traditionally served with tagliatelle in Italy but the only pasta available in UK at the time was spaghetti so spagbol was born.