Tonight I cooked..........

I'm sure fruit and veg do absorb some level of pesticides. However, I doubt that amount is enough to make any noticeable difference to health. It's definitely not enough of an impact to bother peeling every bit of veg.

Besides, if I want to make a lasting improvement to my health knocking booze on the head would do far more. Not sitting at a desk for the whole day would probably have a bigger impact.
Found the US article.

What’s the best way to remove pesticides from fruits and vegetables?

.......and this one.

Baking soda removes pesticides from fruit and vegetables | Daily Mail Online

I remember working with a guy in Sheffield years ago and we'd go out for a smoke break together. I'd be drinking a diet coke and probably smoking a Marlboro light. He used to lambast me about the aspartame in diet coke, how carcinogenic it was, and showed me his Tupperware container of spring water with a dash of organic fruit juice. Get real mush_dad, he'd say. That diet coke will be the death of you.

In his other hand was the dirtiest, stinkiest, unfiltered roll up you'd ever seen.

I remember working with a guy in Sheffield years ago and we'd go out for a smoke break together. I'd be drinking a diet coke and probably smoking a Marlboro light. He used to lambast me about the aspartame in diet coke, how carcinogenic it was, and showed me his Tupperware container of spring water with a dash of organic fruit juice. Get real mush_dad, he'd say. That diet coke will be the death of you.

In his other hand was the dirtiest, stinkiest, unfiltered roll up you'd ever seen.
That's what defines humanity, above all else.

The capacity of people to simultaneously espouse, with equal passion, two or more entirely contradictory beliefs, oblivious to their total incompatibility. :roll:

Last edited:
Steak is one of the few things where you want to add little as possible - especially on the prime cuts.
Pah!
20190606_213254.jpg

Rump, rare, with a sauce marchand de vin (chopped shallots, sweated in the meat juices, deglazed with a splash of red wine, frozen peas heated through in the result. 2 minutes). Cooked that on the night of D-Day 75.
I shall be doing similar tonight, with a ribeye :thumleft:
NomNom, and fie upon your sauce-ist bigotry :-D

Black pepper? Pshaw! Piss weak stuff and close to tasteless. Good white pepper is far better.
Depends what you want it for. Horses for courses.

I hardly (If ever) use white pepper.

But it does have its uses. I tried to make a Chinese hot and sour soup based on a Ken Wok recipe. Couldn’t get it to taste right as I was using black pepper. Used white and it was fine.

That's what defines humanity, above all else.

The capacity of people to simultaneously espouse, with equal passion, two or more entirely contradictory beliefs, oblivious to their total incompatibility. :roll:
Textbook definition of cognitive dissonance as well as very poor risk perception.

Depends what you want it for. Horses for courses.

I hardly (If ever) use white pepper.

But it does have its uses. I tried to make a Chinese hot and sour soup based on a Ken Wok recipe. Couldn’t get it to taste right as I was using black pepper. Used white and it was fine.
I'll have to remember that, although I thought most chinese dishes used Szechuan pepper.

I use black pepper in the from the pepper mill for most dishes, but do have a jar of ground white pepper when I want to use it in a white sauce without the black flecks of pepper showing.

I'll have to remember that, although I thought most chinese dishes used Szechuan pepper.

I use black pepper in the from the pepper mill for most dishes, but do have a jar of ground white pepper when I want to use it in a white sauce without the black flecks of pepper showing.
White pepper is also used by Thais in some dishes as a source of heat as opposed to black pepper which is used for flavour.

Usually a regional thing, Szechuan pepper features in dishes from the western region of China.
Its actually a berry from the prickly ash tree family not a pepper, with a lemony flavour which can numb your lips, but the fiery dishes from that region are mainly down to the Szechuan chillies that they use a lot of.

Ken Hom recommends dry roasting Szechuan peppercorns for about 5 minutes until they just start to smoke, then allow to cool and grind, then pass through a sieve to remove any hard hulls that remain and store in an airtight jar. Or just store the roasted peppercorns and grind before use.

It is also one of the ingredients in 5 spice powder.

Ken tends to use black pepper rather than white, Ching-He Huang often uses white pepper in her recipes.

And yes, I am a sad bastard who enjoys reading recipe books from cover to cover, not just the recipes themselves. :geek:

Usually a regional thing, Szechuan pepper features in dishes from the western region of China.
Its actually a berry from the prickly ash tree family not a pepper, with a lemony flavour which can numb your lips, but the fiery dishes from that region are mainly down to the Szechuan chillies that they use a lot of.

Ken Hom recommends dry roasting Szechuan peppercorns for about 5 minutes until they just start to smoke, then allow to cool and grind, then pass through a sieve to remove any hard hulls that remain and store in an airtight jar. Or just store the roasted peppercorns and grind before use.

It is also one of the ingredients in 5 spice powder.

Ken tends to use black pepper rather than white, Ching-He Huang often uses white pepper in her recipes.

And yes, I am a sad bastard who enjoys reading recipe books from cover to cover, not just the recipes themselves. :geek:
My fav kind of cuisine from china is from the Schezuan region - a bit more tricky to find here in the UK - you guys have a lot more Cantonese style stuff.

My fav kind of cuisine from china is from the Schezuan region - a bit more tricky to find here in the UK - you guys have a lot more Cantonese style stuff.
What's tricky to find?
There are Chinese supermarkets alles uber de gaff.