Tonight I cooked..........

Rats! I was going to cook sweet & sour pork tonight with fresh pineapple, limes & peppers only to find that the pork, supposedly use by in 4 days, was honking.

Bugger, so a quick standby of Waitrose chunky haddock fish fingers with lots of salt & vinegar, I only mentioned the brand as each one is three times the size of Birdseye's offerings.

Filled a gap.

DSCN3649.JPG

Believe it or not, redshift, when I were a lad (pull up a sandbag), things like offal were for our family very common. I was born in the 70s by the way. The family had little money and hungry kids to feed (four). Luckily we were semi-rural and uncles and my dad would shoot, fish and snare rabbit. A chicken would do the family and at least one more meal. Even now I will make a chicken do a roast dinner, sandwiches for three days and another meal. And the carcass gets boiled for stock.
I grew up on liver and kidneys. Stuffed hearts were a family favourite. Grandmas made pate, things in aspic and other goo.
Someone will be along (four Yorkshiremen) to tell us we had it easy in a minute. I joined the army in 1989 and could not believe how much scran was available. Bit repetitive, but plentiful. I wouldn’t say my family were on the breadline (we didn’t get free school dinners), but for me it was a land of plenty.
But yeah, offal. If I wanted I could have steak for tea every night. If I go out and see liver on a pub menu, I having it.
Sorry for the long dit.
Don't be sorry! That was a great comment and insight! I like learning about stuff from the way people grew up. I was born early to mid 80s in the U.S. and both my parents had decent jobs so never really lacked for anything.

Speaking of steak, my local 'Spoons has a steak special today for about 7 quid with a drink and a ton of student looking types were scoffing them. I didn't partake though.

Show again at 1800 hrs with your table properly spirit levelled.
Years ago I decided to cook spaghetti bolognese, and needed a recipe book back then to do it. A few too many shandies while cooking and when plating the meal, lurched to the left, and the whole fkn dish slid off the plate right onto the page of the book. Book 0, Roadster 0, EM 1.

So it's not necessarily a table-levelling issue :)

Years ago I decided to cook spaghetti bolognese, and needed a recipe book back then to do it. A few too many shandies while cooking and when plating the meal, lurched to the left, and the whole fkn dish slid off the plate right onto the page of the book. Book 0, Roadster 0, EM 1.

So it's not necessarily a table-levelling issue :)
To be honest, I never really did any whatever little proper cooking I did with out a glass of wine or beer next to me with music playing in the background - it became mandatory. Sure, sometimes got carried away, but most of the time focused my ADHD riddled brain and made it to focus on what I was doing.

To be honest, I never really did any whatever little proper cooking I did with out a glass of wine or beer next to me with music playing in the background - it became mandatory. Sure, sometimes got carried away, but most of the time focused my ADHD riddled brain and made it to focus on what I was doing.

:)

Looks bloody mint, mukker. Bon appetit!
Used to love getting cheeks, ox-tails, kidneys etc years ago until that fat-tongued cnut Sir Jamie Oliver made it all really expensive.
It was delish, all the meat was off Tesco's reduced shelf. did five portions for less than £3.
Believe it or not, redshift, when I were a lad (pull up a sandbag), things like offal were for our family very common. I was born in the 70s by the way. The family had little money and hungry kids to feed (four). Luckily we were semi-rural and uncles and my dad would shoot, fish and snare rabbit. A chicken would do the family and at least one more meal. Even now I will make a chicken do a roast dinner, sandwiches for three days and another meal. And the carcass gets boiled for stock.
I grew up on liver and kidneys. Stuffed hearts were a family favourite. Grandmas made pate, things in aspic and other goo.
Someone will be along (four Yorkshiremen) to tell us we had it easy in a minute. I joined the army in 1989 and could not believe how much scran was available. Bit repetitive, but plentiful. I wouldn’t say my family were on the breadline (we didn’t get free school dinners), but for me it was a land of plenty.
But yeah, offal. If I wanted I could have steak for tea every night. If I go out and see liver on a pub menu, I having it.
Sorry for the long dit.
I was born in the 60's and was brought up much the same, dad was a farm labourer, then worked on the railways, rabbit, pheasant,duck and pigeon were often brought home either from the farm or train kill, nothing was wasted food wise, I still get miffed at people who only use the breast off pigeon and throw the rest away.
Edit, Offal is probably the tastiest bits if cooked right.

Lunch to-day was left over lamb tagine mixed with half a can of beans ... on toasted seeded bread

it was very Mmmmmmm!

Toasted egg & bacon sandwich for brunch. Crunch central!

IMG_0430.JPG

Such a sunny day (harfuckinghar) I had a smoked salmon and prawn salad.

IMG_20190612_170150_1.jpg

With a little ground garlic sea salt, black pepper and lemon juice..