Tonight I cooked..........

There are three things on my bucket list before I leave the UK:
-Haggis
-Kippers
-Black pudding (which I might have already in a few dishes, but not as by itself )
Can’t comment on haggis. Had it at all times, personally like it first thing with eggs.
Kippers: with white bread and butter for breakfast, with brandy.
Black pudding. Best with bacon on a sarnie, but on its own is good. Apple sauce a la francaise is great, but I will never admit that. English mustard, if you must.
Oh, and if you haven’t had devilled kidneys yet, get them on your list. Again, for breakfast with a pint of bitter.

Let us know how it goes. I love lamb done in a slow cooker as it retains moisture but loses the greasyness. However after I remove the lamb and leave the stock to cool it is left with a 2-3mm thick layer of cold fat on the surface.

I do a lot of beef tagines in the slow cooker, freezing microwaveable portions when it has cooled, but am reluctant to do lamb tagine because of the potential fat issue. Hence my interest in the end result.
Use the fat for frying onions. Couple of diced tomatoes, pinch of sugar, bit of cumin, salt and a chili. Excellent on toast with a fried egg on top.

Agreed that some of them can be like that, but a decent young Gouda is lush. Living in Krefeld, we would go to Venlo of a Saturday morning once or twice a month and load up on cheese & fresh veg. Venlo market was (is?) for winners.
Did similar in Enschede, nice day out or weekend away for me and the missus every now and then .

Japanese love their whisky! Every time I used to go to Tokyo for work would bring back a bottle or two..they have huge shops dedicated just to that. I didn't even we American all that bourbon brands and I am a bourbon drinker.

I used to buy more main stream stuff like Nikka, Hibiki etc.

My Japanese colleagues at the time would bring back Japanese stuff and I used take them Scotch and Bourbon bottles...
Any chance of that in a recognisable language, even Septic English will do.

Agreed that some of them can be like that, but a decent young Gouda is lush. Living in Krefeld, we would go to Venlo of a Saturday morning once or twice a month and load up on cheese & fresh veg. Venlo market was (is?) for winners.
Vintage gouda has a cracking flavour.

Tonight (well all day in the slow cooker) I made Ox cheek and kidney stew served with whole grain mustard mash, cauliflower and broccoli.

20190611_203605-658x563.jpg

Tonight (well all day in the slow cooker) I made Ox cheek and kidney stew served with whole grain mustard mash, cauliflower and broccoli.

View attachment 398145
I was never really into offal much, but then realized who tender and fall of the bone they can if you slow cooked for a good few hours. I only mainly discovered it after coming to London.

They now charge top notch prices for this sort in top restaurants in London!

Indeed, Aldi UK sells vintage Gouda for less than £2, I always pick up a packet, along with Manchego for the same price when I go there.
Do they indeed.? Hmmmm.....might pop down there tomorrow. Not a special is it? Manchego....not had a really good one in UK.

Gammon Steak in a Heinz Honey Mustard and Great Northern Larder Pork Rub with Chilli Flakes and caramelised brown sugar, fried on the Skillet Pan in the Weber, served with Gratin Potatoes in a Cheesy Sauce.

1560287173191.png

1560287282474.png

1560287237648.png

I didn't bother to check if there's a what I cooked for breakfast thread. So this'll go in here as dinner tonight was a boring bowl of fruit and fibre.

Yes yes yes I'm a heathen who has baked beans with his breakfast. A before and (couldn't manage it all) after shot.

brekkie1.jpg
brekkie2.jpg

Do they indeed.? Hmmmm.....might pop down there tomorrow. Not a special is it? Manchego....not had a really good one in UK.
Not a special in the Sanderstead, Surrey, Aldi that I go to, they've had it for the last 2 years or so, and I always get some Cheddar Gorge cave aged goats cheese for about £2.80.

The Gouda used to be about £1.70 for ages but is about £1.90 now, still very good value.

I was never really into offal much, but then realized who tender and fall of the bone they can if you slow cooked for a good few hours. I only mainly discovered it after coming to London.

They now charge top notch prices for this sort in top restaurants in London!
Believe it or not, redshift, when I were a lad (pull up a sandbag), things like offal were for our family very common. I was born in the 70s by the way. The family had little money and hungry kids to feed (four). Luckily we were semi-rural and uncles and my dad would shoot, fish and snare rabbit. A chicken would do the family and at least one more meal. Even now I will make a chicken do a roast dinner, sandwiches for three days and another meal. And the carcass gets boiled for stock.
I grew up on liver and kidneys. Stuffed hearts were a family favourite. Grandmas made pate, things in aspic and other goo.
Someone will be along (four Yorkshiremen) to tell us we had it easy in a minute. I joined the army in 1989 and could not believe how much scran was available. Bit repetitive, but plentiful. I wouldn’t say my family were on the breadline (we didn’t get free school dinners), but for me it was a land of plenty.
But yeah, offal. If I wanted I could have steak for tea every night. If I go out and see liver on a pub menu, I having it.
Sorry for the long dit.

You could do worse than this manchego from Sainsburys, which I pick up when I need a Spanish hit - it goes well with some Manzanilla and almonds.

Link: Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript
Tried it and various other places iterations - Tesco and Waitrose - all a bit "meh" - OK but nothing to shout about - have to buy online I think and then it gets expensive for the amount.