Tonight I cooked..........

Thanks so much for that, all the ones I have tried have been yeast free.
Most welcome, always happy to share.
It's also worth me pointing out that I used strong bread flour. I believe it's that and the kneading that gives a chewy texture, and whilst the salt is essential for the flavour, don't add it until the yeast has done its work. Oh and the absolute hotter the pan the better

I'm gonna be feeling rather ill after this as I shouldn't really be getting pissed.
I did tonight for first time in quite a while.
I'm hungry and cant really be arsed to cook so...

Pork pie (melton Mowbray) bap/teacake/bun..whatever your ethinicity...:
(With Colemans mustard!)

2019-05-24 23.27.53.jpg

I'm gonna be feeling rather ill after this as I shouldn't really be getting pissed.

(With Colemans mustard!)

View attachment 394836
Are you from Wigan?

(With Colemans mustard!)

View attachment 394836
I recognise that crockery.

Dad ?

Talking of getting pissed, it's our housewarming party today, so I've been prepping wings, burgers and ribs. Got some supplies in too :)

p.jpg

Do for me, Kirkz. When we were kids (pull up a sandbag, spin the lantern) my dad used to shoot with my uncles and come home with lots of pheasants. They would go up on the pantry door to ripen. Once they were about to fall out of the twine, they were ready. Our dog used to whine at the door, but she was an ace dog (she was going in the pond as the runt, but turned out a wonderful family dog).
My Mrs (now Mrs RangdoOfArg) came around for Sunday lunch years ago and was astonished to find a brace of pheasants on the table: she had never had one in her life.
My neighbour from opposite me used to shoot pheasants, and as he wasn't too keen on them for eating I used to be given birds on a regular basis. One night I came home from work in the dark, put my hand on the gate latch and leaped back about 10 feet. I nearly shat, Archie had hung a brace of pheasants there to save walking up the path to my door and in the pitch dark an unexpected handful of feathers came as a bit of a shock!

I did.

Mix 1/2 tsp, yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp blood hot water in a saucer. Leave until it froths.

Mix 150g flour, 3 tbsp greek/natural yogurt, the yeast mixture and enough blood hot water (about 70-80ml) to make a wet dough. Beat with a spoon or knead in a mixer for 3-5 mins until smooth.

Tip into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave in a warm place for at least an hour.

Add 1tsp of salt and knead until the salt is distributed, divide in two and roll out with plenty of flour until about 5mm thick.

Melt some butter and add some crushed garlic

Open a window and heat a frying pan until it's red hot or hotter. Cook each naan in the pan, until the bottom is blistering and then turn over (about 2-3mins per side)

Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with nigella seeds and keep in a warm oven whilst you cook the next one.
Lay them on a tea towel and fold it over to seperate the naan until you have a fair sized stack then place in oven. Stops them getting soggy where they touch and helps retain heat. Same for pita bread. Brush the butter and garlic on just before serving.

Looking forward to getting some bratties from lidl since someone got me this little beauty...
20190525_161646-574x956.jpg

As Im a tight, lazy git, I did an ersatz biryani thingy. Those of you who enjoy real biryanis, be aware this is nothing of the sort and leave the room, otherwise it will upset you.
We had a lot of left over roast lamb shoulder, so what I did was chop up a piece into small slivers until I had about half a mug full. Out came the frying pan and in went some onions, garlic, oil and Pataks balti paste ( a decent heaped teaspoon full ) and a dash of chilli powder to hot it up (or fresh if you've got it ) - give it a dish dash to warm the meat through and for the onions etc to soften. Into the microwave went a packet of Uncle Bens wholegrain pilau rice. This is a popular as herpes down my local Asda and is forever on special - a quid a packet. Needless to say, SWMBO gets a load in now and again. Im not that keen, but it does if youve got other strong flavours. 2 minutes later into the the pan with the meat it went, and a quick stir to distribute the meat and onions and there yer go. Not a proper job, ( which allegedly takes bloody ages ) but ten minutes or less is what it takes from start to finish. You can add chopped coriander at the end or chuck a few bruised coriander seeds in the rice bag before you nuke it, all down to as you like it. Cheap as, and easy enough to make. Stick it in a plastic container and it will reheat nicely for a packed lunch at work - if youve a microwave.

Talking of getting pissed, it's our housewarming party today, so I've been prepping wings, burgers and ribs. Got some supplies in too :)

View attachment 394907
How are you doing your wings? I've got some to do on Monday and am open to ideas as the mush cousins aren't too keen on spicy

How are you doing your wings? I've got some to do on Monday and am open to ideas as the mush cousins aren't too keen on spicy
Garlic, pinch of sugar, peanut oil and black bean paste with a little peanut butter and soy? Kind of satay thing.

Drop of sherry if it's too thick.

Keeps saying picture too large. Will have a go at cutting it down, however.

Arroz al horno (oven cooked rice)

For the main dish you will need
2 dessert spoons olive oil
4 slices of streaky bacon
Pork ribs (2 per person)
1 medium sized potato
1 cup of rice per person ( one and a half handfuls)
100ml chicken stock or chicken (not OXO - Knorr cubes are much better) stock cube in boiling water
1 garlic bulb
1 tomato
2 slices of chorizo sausage or black pudding per person
Saffron or Tumeric.

For the aoli on the side
1 egg
1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup sunflower oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
pinch of salt
(1/2 is a half and not 1 or 2, by the way).

Preheat the oven to 200C or 180C if fan assisted.
Soak the saffron in a saucer with hot water (if used) or mix the turmeric with a small amount of water.

Cut the bacon into pieces about an inch length and cut the ribs individually.
Fry the bacon and ribs in the oil until browned.
Remove the bacon and ribs and put into an oven dish but leave the oil etc in the pan.
Peel and cut the potato into slices and fry in the pan until lightly browned.
Spread the potato slices over the bacon and ribs.
Slice the chorizo or black pudding and layer over the above.
Slice the tomato and spread over it all so you have a top layer of chorizo and tomato,
Add all the rice (uncooked). Leave for about 5 minutes to soak up the flavours.
Pour the stock over it all.
Get rid of most of the papery stuff on the garlic bulb and place in the centre of the pan on top of the rice dish.
Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes on 200C/180C,. Remove and add the saffron or turmeric and cook for another 10 minutes until the rice is fully cooked. At this point, remove the garlic bulb and take 2 or 3 of the cooked garlic cloves out.

For the side you will need one of those blenders that does soup.
Put all the aoili ingredients into the blender glass (2 cloves garlic, both lots of oil, the egg and the lemon juice and a pinch of salt (about the tip of a teaspoon but don't over salt it).
Put the blender into the glass without turning it on. Once it's on the bottom, start blending (this will bring all the ingredients together rather than squashing them). Move the blender up and down several times until it becomes a thick, like mayonnaise, consistency, somewhere between 5 and 8 minutes will be right.

Ideally, soda bread is dipped into the aoli but a french stick will do just as well.
Make sure everyone gets 2 ribs, 2 slices of chorizo and some bacon and tomato on the dish along with the rice.