Tonight I cooked..........

I read that word slightly differently and was about to offer my congratulations.
Given I mostly drive a desk these days I do have some blisters. For clarity, said blisters are on my feet ;)

Gravy doesn't have to be like slurry, as long as it tastes good then surely that is all that matters?
It did taste good but I object to gravy running off my mashed potato. It should be of a firm consistency, such that one can leave marks on the surface of a jug and decorate the meal like a brown toffee sauce (consistency, not taste).

It would have been right but I confused 'diluting slightly' with 'making in the first place' (several cans of lager on an empty stomach may have had an influence at this point) and I ended up with a pint rather than a half pint.

It did taste good but I object to gravy running off my mashed potato. It should be of a firm consistency, such that one can leave marks on the surface of a jug and decorate the meal like a brown toffee sauce (consistency, not taste).

It would have been right but I confused 'diluting slightly' with 'making in the first place' (several cans of lager on an empty stomach may have had an influence at this point) and I ended up with a pint rather than a half pint.
Sorry mate, it was an observation, not a criticism.

Having felt rough all day I couldn't be arrsed to cook, so just chip butties with lots of sea salt & malt vinegar before I head back to my pit.

DSCN3589.JPG

Sorry mate, it was an observation, not a criticism
No worries, normally it's one of the usual suspects telling me my food looks like a dog has shit on a plate.

Which is correct at least some of the time.

First proper meal I've done in the new house tonight. It was 86F/30C here today, so a lighter BBQ style meal.

Made some buns:

IMG_7993.jpeg

BBQ roast chicken:

IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_5500.jpeg

With white BBQ sauce:

IMG_5824.jpeg

And some potato chips/crisps:

IMG_3503.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the ASDA free magazine and there is a recipe that sort of tickled my fancy a bit

I give you , Turkey sausage spinach and sweet potato hash

caramelised turkey sausages ( really good surprisingly)
chunks of sweet potato , red onion red pepper green pepper, garlic, spinach, and sliced spring onion to garnish

fry (or grill or oven bake) the sausages , an d set aside
fry the onion for 5 minutes then add the peppers, garlic and sweet potato cover the pot and gently cook for 10- 12 minutes , or more if you want the potatoes caramelised like I did
add the spinach and allow to wilt right down , then ( after reheating the sausage s for a couple of minutes) slice the sausages slightly diagonally and lay across the top of the mixture ... good grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of sliced spring onions over the lot , and serve in the pan
20190521_174458.jpg

absolutely beautiful... I should have put more spinach in

Mid morning snack. I made some rolls yesterday, so bacon 'n smashed egg rolls. HP brown under the yolk.

IMG_7732.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg

Butter chicken saag, garlic naan

20190524_175539_resized.jpg

Bouef Daube Provencal tonight - for the day after tomorrow!

Do you make your own Naan and if so would you share the recipe, I have tried numerous recipes and not look as good as yours.
I did.

Mix 1/2 tsp, yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp blood hot water in a saucer. Leave until it froths.

Mix 150g flour, 3 tbsp greek/natural yogurt, the yeast mixture and enough blood hot water (about 70-80ml) to make a wet dough. Beat with a spoon or knead in a mixer for 3-5 mins until smooth.

Tip into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave in a warm place for at least an hour.

Add 1tsp of salt and knead until the salt is distributed, divide in two and roll out with plenty of flour until about 5mm thick.

Melt some butter and add some crushed garlic

Open a window and heat a frying pan until it's red hot or hotter. Cook each naan in the pan, until the bottom is blistering and then turn over (about 2-3mins per side)

Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with nigella seeds and keep in a warm oven whilst you cook the next one.

I did.

Mix 1/2 tsp, yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp blood hot water in a saucer. Leave until it froths.

Mix 150g flour, 3 tbsp greek/natural yogurt, the yeast mixture and enough blood hot water (about 70-80ml) to make a wet dough. Beat with a spoon or knead in a mixer for 3-5 mins until smooth.

Tip into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or clingfilm and leave in a warm place for at least an hour.

Add 1tsp of salt and knead until the salt is distributed, divide in two and roll out with plenty of flour until about 5mm thick.

Melt some butter and add some crushed garlic

Open a window and heat a frying pan until it's red hot or hotter. Cook each naan in the pan, until the bottom is blistering and then turn over (about 2-3mins per side)

Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with nigella seeds and keep in a warm oven whilst you cook the next one.
Thanks so much for that, all the ones I have tried have been yeast free.