Tonight I cooked..........

Cassoulet du canard from a fairly expensive tin we bought in Abbeville a couple of weeks ago

If I am frank................ it was shite... duck was reasonable, as were the sausages.... should have just opened a tin of beans , would have tasted better at a fraction of the cost

Oh well!.... we learn by our mistakes

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cheese and onion quiche with a side order of Hieronymus Bosch:

Other "half" of the salmon fillet tonight; 320g rather than 180g.
Nothing fancy, just wrapped in tinfoil with a good lump of butter & some thyme, then lobbed in the oven for 20 min @ 160°C.
Served up with charlotte spuds & steamed veg:

DSC_2684 (2).jpg

Other "half" of the salmon fillet tonight; 320g rather than 180g.
I know I've posted this before but I was suitably refreshed then, how much is a side of salmon? I always feel I'm being ripped off buying the packs of 2 fillets.

Stand by for the same question next week as I am also well refreshed tonight.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
That looks suspiciously like a piece of ham adhering to the lower bit of crust...
No. Just the shitty photograph. I don't eat meat.

I know I've posted this before but I was suitably refreshed then, how much is a side of salmon? I always feel I'm being ripped off buying the packs of 2 fillets.

Stand by for the same question next week as I am also well refreshed tonight.
Cheaper than cod I think*.

*You'll not catch me paying anything like full price for salmon - these 500g fillets were over £6 but on a last reduction at less than £1.50 & thus cheaper than cheap minced beef.

Cassoulet du canard from a fairly expensive tin we bought in Abbeville a couple of weeks ago

If I am frank................ it was shite... duck was reasonable, as were the sausages.... should have just opened a tin of beans , would have tasted better at a fraction of the cost

Oh well!.... we learn by our mistakes
I've tried quite a few tinned Cassoulet when bimbling round France & Belgium in my old motorhome years ago, the duck or goose was normally good, the pork usually tasted good, the sausages were sometimes OK but in others just tasteless squidgy things, the beans were always squishy and disappointing.

However I think this is down to how the canning process works as on the few occasions where I found bottled cassoulet in glass jars the beans were always superb, cooked before going in the jar rather than superheated in the sealed can?

William Saurin Choucroute in tins with white wine sauerkraut, pork & sausages was always a real treat though.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ham glazed in apple chutney, honey and mustard with birds eye chillis.

With some pre made potato dauphinois from Iceland.

Massive win.

Steamed prawns, pickled cucumber, sour cream dressing
20190323_185800_resized.jpg

Pork loin steak, roast potato, rhubarb chutney, mustard sauce
20190323_192731_resized.jpg

Floating islands
20190323_203223_resized(1).jpg

Thanks.
I use an old fashioned chip pan and lard.
The pan in question was my Mum's and is probably older than me.
Never changed the fat in the twenty odd years I've had it, just gets strained and topped up regularly.
Hence the BCBs. Very tasty.