Tonight I cooked..........

Never cooked my chips more than once, neither did my Mum.
I do get the fat smoking hot before I put the chips in though.

Fill yer boots mate.
I'll give anything over 12 month old animal rendered fat a miss, if you don't mind.
Having said that, you'll probably outlive me and my kids!
My chip pan gets used three or four times a week (not just for chips) and probably gets a half a pound of lard added to it a month, so I very much doubt there is any fat in there that is over a year old.

My chip pan gets used three or four times a week (not just for chips) and probably gets a half a pound of lard added to it a month, so I very much doubt there is any fat in there that is over a year old.
I'm sure there will be a probability formula for it somewhere. I can't understand GCSE maths today.

I'm sure there will be a probability formula for it somewhere. I can't understand GCSE maths today.
Hasn't killed me yet.
Had to have a full medical to renew my HGV license in January and flew through it.
There's over 20 years of flavour in that fat and you can't buy that.

I think this weekend I will make empanadas / impanas
My Granny was born in Chile at the end of the 19th century may have said in different thread about my bigamous Grandad who married her (when she was just 13, it was not unheard of then ) but hadn't finalised his divorce to his first wife in Dundee
anyway she used to make them and I think I must have been about 2 or 3 when they were talking , and I called them impanas... bastards in my family used to call them that and all snigger a bit, but I wasn't in on the joke ... how I ******* laughed when I found out what they were really called when I was 30 oh HOHOHO....twats

anyway here's the recipe , may be of interest to kirkz as they are eventually fried in lard
cheap cut of beef and shed loads of largely chopped onions bit of stock and cumin SEED lightly toasted to crack them gently pot roasted for as long as possible , but until the meat just falls apart and gravy is thick and unctuous season as required to taste
make hot water crust pastry , (again using lard in the water when you make the pastry) roll out quite thin, and cut into about 3 inch circles
a spoon of the stewed beef (cooled)onto each of the circles and fold and form them into samosa shapes leave them sealed , do not pierce them add a bitt of chopped boiled egg to some before sealing them, for more savory , some sultanas in a few for sweeter taste

deep fry the sealed impanas (bastards)/empanadas in boiling fat until dark yellow or medium brown in colour, turn out on an airing rack and try to keep your paws off them until they are cool store when cold in a lined tin

if my son finds out that I'm making them , I'll have the whole damn tribe round on Sunday

Last edited:
You said you've not changed the lard in 20 years.
I'm not sure the health benefits outweigh the economy so I'll err on the side of caution and not have anything deep fried. As I said, you'll probably outlive me and my rug rats with all your fat/oil consumption, lol.
I'm trying to cut my fat/sugar intake, I don't mean to criticise your way of cooking. If it works for you, crack on!
I used to love my Mams deep pan fried chips. On a floured barm, layered with fresh butter, they were the mutts nuts but food education has benefited us all.
I probably eat 5 x more veg than I did before I left home and now, at least 60- 80% of my intake is vegetables.

I'm not sure the health benefits outweigh the economy so I'll err on the side of caution and not have anything deep fried. As I said, you'll probably outlive me and my rug rats with all your fat/oil consumption, lol.
I'm trying to cut my fat/sugar intake, I don't mean to criticise your way of cooking. If it works for you, crack on!
I used to love my Mams deep pan fried chips. On a floured barm, layered with fresh butter, they were the mutts nuts but food education has benefited us all. I probably eat 5 x more veg than I did before I left home and now, at least 60 of my intake is vegetable.
There's plenty of folks on here have met me and they'll tell you I'm built like a racing snake, I walk miles everyday and hike miles when on holiday, I don't worry about what I eat.
What with eating bin food, road kill and offal I'll probably out live Beelzebub.

I used to love my Mams deep pan fried chips. On a floured barm, layered with fresh butter, they were the mutts nuts but food education has benefited us all. I probably eat 5 x more veg than I did before I left home and now, at least 60 of my intake is vegetable.
my mate had an oil leak on his car , he used to put a litre of OMD90 in every week ... we eventually serviced it , I asked him when he'd last had it serviced ...when it had its first free service 7 years ago ... he reckoned as there was fresh oil in it every week it was like having the oil perpetually renewed ........... one of the worst VMs I ever had the pleasur to work with, nice bloke though
sort of like your lard then Kirkz:p

Homeopathic lard: the old stuff has become ultimately diluted by the new.

TBH I prefer beef dripping to lard & the wee frying pan I use exclusively for my weekend fried eggs hasn't been "cleaned" since it replaced the one I set fire to a couple of years ago.
Before I embraced the dark side & moved to oven chips, I used a chip pan & basket. That too was fuelled entirely on beef dripping.

Any way, tonight's repast was that good old standard of stewed mince(<5% fat stuff off the discount shelf, 87p for 500g), in gravy with 2 bay leaves added from my pet bay tree outside the kitchen door, charlotte taties, steamed carrots & broccoli & yes; that's the thinly sliced broccoli stem there - tastes at least as good as the top, contains more fibre & not at all woody:

DSC_2678 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Never changed the fat in the twenty odd years I've had it, just gets strained and topped up regularly.
My mum used to follow that approach. She knew when it was time to clean the fat when the lid wouldn't fit on the pan as the wire basket seemed to have risen up. I.e the volume of deep fried potato crumb residue on the bottom had exceeded some sort of limit she'd set. She didn't strain it though, just heat the pan with the solid fat in for a minute or two to loosen the fat, lift the basket up with all the solid fat in place, scrape off the residue from the bottom of the fat and replace it back in the pan and add another 1/2lb of lard.

My mum used to follow that approach. She knew when it was time to clean the fat when the lid wouldn't fit on the pan as the wire basket seemed to have risen up. I.e the volume of deep fried potato crumb residue on the bottom had exceeded some sort of limit she'd set. She didn't strain it though, just heat the pan with the solid fat in for a minute or two to loosen the fat, lift the basket up with all the solid fat in place, scrape off the residue from the bottom of the fat and replace it back in the pan and add another 1/2lb of lard.
Pretty much the same rule I use re the basket/lid fit.

Can't spell Chile though.....
bastard!.... it was about midnight though and the old farmers have been playing me up and I was tired , and had originally written chilli, and .................... feck off , and when you get to where you feck off to feck off from there as well ..........

edited it cause I am a cnut

Hasn't killed me yet.
Had to have a full medical to renew my HGV license in January and flew through it.
There's over 20 years of flavour in that fat and you can't buy that.
If the fat is cycled through every 12 months (post 43,264), then how does the flavour remain?

The best kippers i have ever had, they keep well in the freezer and are a joy:

IMG_5439.jpg

If i Ever go to the USA and get put on Death Row, that would be my final meal.

The food of gods!
Well don't get condemned in Texas. A few years ago, one prisoner kicked the arse out of it and ordered 3 or 4 meals. It was something like steak, burgers, pizza, BBQ, ice cream etc, and never ate any of it. The state then banned special last meals and they get whatever is on the menu that day.

Seems weird, they spend millions on prosecuting him, keeping him on death row through millions more in appeals, then balk because he wasted a couple hundred dollars on food. Oh well, he's dead now.