Tonight I cooked..........

I used the word "glazing" yesterday, referring to windows inset in a garage door: "I like the one with the glazing in the top panel". Wife & M-I-L looked at me in bewilderment. Apparently "glass" or "windows" would have been fine, but "glazing" not. I've only been in the US 14 years. Still a NIG, it seems :)
Well, mate, there's only so much "adapting" you can do. You can never really escape your home country culture/ sayings etc., and it does stay with you and comes out time and time again naturally. It's easier if you are a kid, but once you're an adult - a proper one - it's hard to change.

Edit: just to add to that none of my Brit friends think I am a Brit, even after showing my passport. ;)

Well, mate, there's only so much "adapting" you can do. You can never really escape your home country culture/ sayings etc., and it does stay with you and comes out time and time again naturally. It's easier if you are a kid, but once you're an adult - a proper one - it's hard to change.

Edit: just to add to that none of my Brit friends think I am a Brit, even after showing my passport. ;)
Think of it like being an adopted child.

ED6EFB1F-1F89-418A-8A16-14B348F81252.jpeg

Waitrose Cookery School this evening. Great fun. Chicken Shawarma, Fattoush and Flatbreads.

to-night I shall be mainly eating Moroccan shepherds pie
decent amount of lamb mince ... Mirepoix of small diced carrot , onion , celery add browned minced lamb stir in a desert spoon of flour , and diced red pepper, garlic, tomato, puree raisins, dates, stock (1 beef 1 veg oxo in boiling water,
simmer for about 1 1/2 hours
with mash from a packet of morrisons mustard mash , found at the back of the cupboard, which has been there since my son and his daughter lived with us 5 years ago (he has crohnes, and it's the only potato he can eat ) grated white cheddar overbaked

with peas
IMG_20190316_164840.jpg
IMG_20190316_170204.jpg

A bit of charcuterie and pastis
20190316_172205_resized.jpg

Home made sashimi and stuff
20190316_184532_resized.jpg

Steamed cod, samphire, carrots, crab sauce, coriander pesto, braised leek
20190316_192526_resized.jpg

Ginger custard tart, rhubarb, ginger syrup, creme fraiche
20190316_200633_resized.jpg

A bit of charcuterie and pastis
View attachment 382858

Home made sashimi and stuff
View attachment 382859

Steamed cod, samphire, carrots, crab sauce, coriander pesto, braised leek
View attachment 382860

Ginger custard tart, rhubarb, ginger syrup, creme fraiche
View attachment 382861
I like all of those (minus the rhubarb - not a fan) but the transition of dishes from Italian aperitivo to Japanese style sashimi - I couldn't get. But anyways, it all looks great and I am sure tasted yum!

I like all of those (minus the rhubarb - not a fan) but the transition of dishes from Italian aperitivo to Japanese style sashimi - I couldn't get. But anyways, it all looks great and I am sure tasted yum!
Thank you kindly, but you flatter me, I really didn't put that much thought into the transition of flavours. I just needed to use up some faux caviar, thus the sashimi. No carbs for the mains, a recipe that caught my eye for pudding, and that was it. The current mrs_mush liked it and that's what counted.

Tartare sauce......All I do is chuck in a couple of spoons of mayo, about two tsp of chopped capers, bit of black pepper and salt. Job jobbed, it's not alchemy! However you guys crack on making squeezy cheese, yes I know it's not really cheese per se...... But when I am leathered it's manna from the gods!
Add a spoon of sour cream and a chopped gherkin. Also goes well on Bismarck herrings with dill and fresh chopped onion.

Sausages and roast veg, dressed with Nando's finest
View attachment 382378
Nandos. FFS!

You do such a great job and then fuck the cat by sticking that shit on it. There are better sauces than that around and chucking some real peri peri into a dollop of good mayo isn't difficult.

Try Nali if you can find it. You'll never put that bland Nandos chicken jizz in your mouth again.

I assume the arancini had a family relationship to the risotto. Looks good.

I had arancini in Carluccios a few days after my vasectomy. The missus took one look at them, leaned over her insalata tricolore and whispered "they look like your bollox". They did as well.
Yes, I made sure that there would be leftover risotto to make the arancini as I'd always fancied trying them after seeing James Martin making them on one of his programmes.

Arancini with deep-fried courgette flowers