Tonight I cooked..........

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mash with steak?

Bleedin' heathen.
Why not, as long as it's been fried with some onions and a dash or two of L&P and mustard.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
My daughter and her husband have just got back from a 2 week trip to Sri Lanka, and being pescatarians scoffed everything in sight, apart from the whales.

She gave me a pic of the recipe & brought back the roasted curry powder & chilli sambal.

Makes 6 to 8 roti, I halved the quantities and made four.

325g of white or brown spelt flour, (only had plain flour so used that).

75g desiccated coconut, or freshly grated coconut, (I used desiccated).

2 tsp of sea salt.

Mix the above with 200ml of water, when combined the dough should be soft and bouncy.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it forms a ball and doesn't stick to the surface.

Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel or cling film.

Leave for 30 minutes in a warm place to rest.

Divide the dough into portions and either use a rolling pin, or your hand to form a rough circle, with a little flour to stop it from sticking, then either heat with a little oil over medium heat or no oil in a non-stick pan.

Tried it tonight except...substituted coconut for...bit of coconut milk and some ground almonds.

Didn't turn out too good in appearance or texture-although tastes bloody nice!

Think I should have rolled thinner first.

2019-02-23 19.26.10.jpg

Last night's efforts

Chicory, apple and blood orange salad.
20190223_185129_resized.jpg

Roast chicken breast, creamed spinach, potato and garlic puree
20190223_193232_resized.jpg

Rum Baba, poached pear, ginger ice cream.
20190223_202605_resized(1).jpg

It seems almost sacrilegious to post this after your excellent scoff but I can’t think of anywhere else to put it.

To compare and contrast perhaps.

5F03776F-AC05-4C16-A911-FB64400F35BD.jpeg

It’s circa 1950. The shop was real but I think the left hand side might be an attempt at humour.

My mother used to cook tripe and onions. My father loved it. Us kids farkin despised it and refused point blank to eat it.

My ex-missus went walking around Europe in about 1970. Her first meal in France was curried tripe. She threw up.

My ex-missus went walking around Europe in about 1970. Her first meal in France was curried tripe. She threw up.
Rick Stein opened his show on Italian street food with tripe cooked at a stall in the corner of an ancient (Sicilian?) market square, served up in a conical paper bag, and eaten with the fingers. He made it sound like food of the gods.

In Ridley Scott's original movie 'Alien' the set designer used tripe to line the interior of the pods in which the creatures awaited an unsuspecting spaceperson.

Apparently the atmosphere on that particular set was quite rich, by Day 4 of filming :-D

Last edited:
Tried it tonight except...substituted coconut for...bit of coconut milk and some ground almonds.

View attachment 379384
Looks fine

You might find a tortilla press helps to get them thinner.

View attachment 379384
If the recipe calls for coconut milk and you only have coconut (the packet desiccated type I assume) soak it in full fat milk for as long as you can. If you actually have a coconut/coconut chunks then grate it into the milk. Or grate it into a 50/50 mixture of milk/coconut juice (assuming you can get the sodding stuff out).

It’s not perfect but it is a good halfway house.

Last edited:
Tonight's efforts

Roast chicken leg, gnocchi, tomato and anchovy sauce, pesto
20190224_181426_resized.jpg