Tonight I cooked..........

Bought some half price super lean turkey mince from the end of date fridge and puzzled over what to do with it, such are my retirement days.
Turkey mince chili on brown basmati:
chili.JPG

Can't stand red kidney beans so I use black eyed peas instead. I don't know why I don't like kiddley beans, never have.
I still can't feel my tongue, so tomorrows 'Montezuma's revenge' will be entertaining.

Too much lemon, it must have been overpowering.
I can understand your comment but strangely it was not overpowering at all. Considering that the amount of lemon used in two servings was for four chicken breasts and that the OH normally doesn't care for lemony things, it really was very good and she enjoyed it.

I forgot to mention that the filling also included sea salt which took the edge off the sourness & coarse ground black pepper.

Last edited:
Ta muchly, and thankyou to all that responded. As I said yeah I can make croutons no worries, it's not tricky. But every attempt of doing any that last longer than thirty seconds in a hot soup no chance, can you buy nomex cooking spray ? Will try the sourdough method first. At one point i thought what if i just compressed the bread first, not quite so it was basically just dough again, but enough to make it a bit more resilient. I suppose i could just blag them off with cup a soups with a few fresh ingredients in he he
Just an update on this, I was having soup tonight and went to make some croutons. Normally I use olive oil with some garlic added, but tonight I found I was out of olive oil and used some light veg oil instead (spry I think), and the croutons cooked faster and came out super crispy. Must be to do with the higher temperature that the oil heats to.

Half-side salmon and black pepper;

IMG_1226 fish.JPG

Brocalli, french beans and small spuds;

edit
broccoli thanks to Stonker

IMG_1227 fish2.JPG

To serve four, half term, we have teachers staying.

Last edited:
Looks really good. How much did the side of salmon cost (roughly)? I'm starting to cook more fish and still get the feeling I'm paying quite a lot for not much fish.
Tesco's, about 14 english pounds.

edit
There's enough left for a pasta bake, again for four.

Last edited:
FFS don't let the English teacher see how you mis-spelled broccoli :wink:
Thank you, I am a crap speller.
No. 2 son and his betrothed, both primary school teachers, staying for the week. :boogie::boogie:

We have told them, if they split up, we are keeping her he can bugger off out of it.

edit

Last edited:
In a follow up and a salute to @mush_dad 's informative guide on Pasta and Clams, I give you the definitive guide on.............
Hot Chicken Flavour Ramen noodles.........with "Cheese!"

jfjhf.jpg

Firstly carefully fill a jug with 500ml of water, place carefully measured amount in a saucepan.
fghf.jpg

In the saucepan place your noodles, you may need to break them in two if you picked the wrong pan like I did.
Bring to a rolling boil then simmer for one cigarette time wise.
hdfh.jpg

Drain most of the liquid off then add what will further be known as "chickeny fire essence" and return to pan, stir for another minute or so.
sdd.jpg

Take off the heat and add in the "cheese" powder.
dfs.jpg

Stir and enjoy the strangest taste of the orient. Seriously you can taste chicken....just. It is about furnace heat on a spice level but a weird cheese flavour.
RM verdict: Definitely different! If you find them in your local oriental store try them, you will be disappointed!!
sfsf.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And here we are, sossij and paster stew!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
Chinese curry and rice.

20190221_213557-307x238.jpg

. . . . . Ta-Daah:
Recipes (recipes)​
He has a YouTube channel, I note - you can learn a lot from YouTube

I heard him on radio a year or two back: said his personal favourite was a Lamb Nihari.

So I made it - and at first was slightly underwhelmed. Then I started trying it with a splash of lime pickle, or mango chutterney . . . . ver' fine indeed :)
The sort of slap dash and improvised (and using ready made paste) curry I made a week ago wasn't too bad - but needs to be improved. Thanks for the info.

Latest Threads