Tonight I cooked..........

but throwing up into the bath white trying to keep your arse close enough to the bog so as not to squit on the floor isn't fun I'll tell you
Brings back unpleasant youthful memories of an overnight ride on a dodgy, overcrowded ferry from Mykonos to Piraeus after an equally dodgy souvlaki and too much ouzo :-(

If memory serves, @redshift was asking before Christmas about learning to cook a decent curry. I made a mental note to post a link to a very decent website on the subject, run by a 'Mur'can expat living in UK.
Hopefully, I will remember to action that mental note when I get home tonight.
. . . . . Ta-Daah:
Recipes (recipes)​
He has a YouTube channel, I note - you can learn a lot from YouTube

I heard him on radio a year or two back: said his personal favourite was a Lamb Nihari.

So I made it - and at first was slightly underwhelmed. Then I started trying it with a splash of lime pickle, or mango chutterney . . . . ver' fine indeed :)

Last edited:
Lemon Baked Chicken. ( chicken breast filled with fresh lemon juice, garlic and grated lemon peel) Foil wrapped and gently baked, with a sauce of lemon juice, garlic, cream and parsley. Crispy smashed new potatoes and steamed Pak Choi.

IMG_20190219_170127739.jpg

. . . . . Ta-Daah:
Recipes (recipes)​
He has a YouTube channel, I note - you can learn a lot from YouTube

I heard him on radio a year or two back: said his personal favourite was a Lamb Nihari.

So I made it - and at first was slightly underwhelmed. Then I started trying it with a splash of lime pickle, or mango chutterney . . . . ver' fine indeed :)
Good channel is that, Dosa batter something I've wanted to try for ages but never got round to, stuck with Gits.

Off topic - do we have any port gurus ? Recommendations required without having to pay oodles.

Off topic - do we have any port gurus ? Recommendations required without having to pay oodles.
For everyday drinking port the Lidl Tawny stuff is perfectly fine (in my opinion). A little harsh on the aftertaste but if it's going to be drunk after several pints / glasses of wine I don't think I would notice.

Well, last night I cooked a pizza. Burned the ******. Still ate it anyway.

Tell a lie, that was the night before.

Last night I just cooked pasta with a bit of pesto and a tin of fish and a couple of eggs.

No wonder I puked the ****** up at half eight this morning. Felt better.

Tonight I got another pizza and a pot noodle. Yeah, I know...

We'll see how that goes. I don't feel hard done by.

I have some halloumi cheese to put on my pizza, and as long as I don't cremate it again, all should be well.

I won't let you know how it goes. I've already said too much.

Was whizzing round Tesco doing mum's shopping tonight & there was a 2.2kg chicken marked down to £1.50, so I grabbed that then stopped off at home & lobbed it in the oven before taking the shopping over to her.
Arrived back just at the right time to bung some chips in the oven & broccoli in the steamer.
Pigged out on one breast & both drumsticks.
I'll have the other breast with a salad tomorrow night & there'll likely still be enough meat for chicken & mushroom in white sauce over pasta for Friday, then the rest will go into soup after I boil up the carcase.

No foties cos I forgot due to hunger...

Got the munchies?

Rationing still in force - √
Stale bread - √
Only one egg - √
Dash of milk - √

Eggy bread it is then.

View attachment 378714
Where are you going to buy it eg country or supplier?
What colour port do you intend to drink?
What are you going to buy it for eg with cheese or dessert or for cocktails?
How much of it do you intend to drink?

For my own mind, when in doubt, buy Quinta do Noval.

For everyday drinking port the Lidl Tawny stuff is perfectly fine (in my opinion). A little harsh on the aftertaste but if it's going to be drunk after several pints / glasses of wine I don't think I would notice.
If you intend to buy port just to drink after a few pints (of beer), the port would be wasted regardless of how cheap/nasty it is in my opinion.

And port should never leave a harsh aftertaste.

Where are you going to buy it eg country or supplier?
What colour port do you intend to drink?
What are you going to buy it for eg with cheese or dessert or for cocktails?
How much of it do you intend to drink?

For my own mind, when in doubt, buy Quinta do Noval.
Blimey. Any high street winos and any decent large supermarket for ease really.
Red port and for cheese, after dinner and the odd moment of contemplation.
How much of it ? A glass now and again

Last edited:
Blimey. Any high street winos and any decent large supermarket for ease really.
Red port and for cheese, after dinner and the odd moment of contemplation.
How much of it ? A glass now and again
If you are not going to be a serious port drinker (no slur intended) then it might be best to match the port with the cheese you intend to have.
Very generally cheaper ports tend to be that little bit sweeter in taste, while more expensive vintage and aged ports are a bit more fruity and smoother.

Essentially younger ports might be that bit cheaper while the older ports can cost up to lots.

My initial suggestion would be to try a tawny with the cheese, then give it a go with white port (you might be surprised).
Follow that with trying something like a Taylor, a Warre or a Graham to see which you prefer. But, be careful because if you really start to enjoy port you will want to mix it with brandy which will start a brand new game.

Incidentally the following might be of some use for a start:

The Serious Eats Guide to Port

Cheese and Port matching guide - Decanter

Remember young ports will most likely last longer in the bottle while old ports should be decanted and drunk fairly soon.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well, last night I cooked a pizza. Burned the ******. Still ate it anyway.

Tell a lie, that was the night before.

Last night I just cooked pasta with a bit of pesto and a tin of fish and a couple of eggs.

No wonder I puked the ****** up at half eight this morning. Felt better.

Tonight I got another pizza and a pot noodle. Yeah, I know...

We'll see how that goes. I don't feel hard done by.

I have some halloumi cheese to put on my pizza, and as long as I don't cremate it again, all should be well.

I won't let you know how it goes. I've already said too much.
The thread started with a pot noodle- so relax