2.5 pints water
1 tsp salt
8 tbsp veg oil
1Tsp tomato puree
1 Tsp turmeric
1 Tsp paprika
1 tin of tomatoes.

View attachment 377947

My measurements are approximate to recipe based on what I actually had in the fridge.

Peel rinse and chop onion, ginger & garlic. I shoved the garlic in the microwave for a minute to aid peeling.
Blend garlic & ginger with some of the water until smooth.

View attachment 377948

Add garlic and ginger mix to the chopped onions, remainder of water and salt, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45mins (with lid on).

View attachment 377949

First few minutes of simmering an "interesting" almost fluorescent green froth forms...

View attachment 377951

I'm currently suffering from a stinking cold-one of those where you feel the need to sneeze all the time ...but can't. I'm reliably informed the house fecking stinks at this time! About 10 minutes into the simmering stage my eyes started watering (despite smelling nothing) and I though I was back in the CS chamber and tried to recite the rainbow poem.
Mrs has now fecked off to watch TV upstairs...smell and eys stinging too bad for her.

Next stage is to allow to cool. In a separate saucepan put oil, tomato puree, turmeric and paprika, heat a little, add blended tomatoes and simmer. I will thrn add all that with the blended onion/garlic mixture and keep at the simmer.

I'm currently at the waiting for the onions & garlic to cool down stage. Extractor fan is on high, back door is open and eyes are just starting to clear up.

More to follow...

Have just done the tomatoes thing...will probably be an hour or so until next stage now.

Exciting ...isn't it!

View attachment 377955

Okay... All mixed together and simmering for an hour or so. A froth will keep forming and that is to be scooped off.
Prior to mixing the onion/garlic mixture and tomatoes together, I kept back about 1/2 pint of the onion mixture. That will be used in "pre-cooking" whatever meat I decide to use in my curry.

View attachment 377962

About an hour to go...and frothing away nicely. Warning!!! This does stink your house out. I just nipped out to the shop and when I came back in it hit me big time!

View attachment 377967

About an hour to go. I've no idea what the skimming off the froth thing is all about - it mostly seems to consist of the spices (paprika/turmeric), nor do I understand the requirement to do the onions/garlic separate..and then mix and cook together (aside from the onion mix being used for pre-cooking the meat). Maybe a cheffy type could elucidate? @Joker62
Skimming only really important if you're making a clear soup/stock/broth. I do it out of habit though.

Et Voila!!

Curry base sauce complete -the "scum" I ladled off on plate aside of it.

now to find some tupperware and find which lid fits what...
8.jpg

That may well be it. I normally do the whole lot then freeze the result. This is the first time I've actually held back on some of the onion mixture to pre-cook the meat.
Think I'll be getting cubed lamb at the butcher tomorrow.
I've had good results using whole lamb shoulder & boning it myself, though it's a bit fiddly getting all the meat off until you work out the anatomy.

Change over to beef dripping. Believe me, for eggses & chips, it's the bestest thing ever (fish in batter even more so).
I dont think you understand quite what the components of @Kirkz "fat" actually is.

There's probably Austin Allegro engine oil involved but... I'd hate to speculate.

I dont think you understand quite what the components of @Kirkz "fat" actually is.

There's probably Austin Allegro engine oil involved but... I'd hate to speculate.
Dunno what's worse there mate. Admission that you had an Austin Allegro, or admission that someone else's Austin Allegro engine oil is in the fat.

Beef tallow. For winners. Just wish I had some :)

Dunno what's worse there mate. Admission that you had an Austin Allegro, or admission that someone else's Austin Allegro engine oil is in the fat.

Just to clarify a few things:

I'm not old enough to have "known" an Austin Allegro in a driving capacity. I'm 43. Dunno whether even Kirkz is but...that's besides the point.
Kirkz is likely to have either Austin Allegro engine oil or an Austin Allegro on account of...

One of the colours it was produced in was "dogshit brown".

Tallow was traditionally used for making candles. Is the leccy off again?
Dunno mate; you tell me. Certainly not here. It was a major frying oil for decades or even centuries, before the triglyceride content reared its head in health context. Tastes wonderful, but not good for you in any dimension (use of noun deliberate).

Just to clarify a few things:

I'm not old enough to have "known" an Austin Allegro in a driving capacity. I'm 43. Dunno whether even Kirkz is but...that's besides the point.
Kirkz is likely to have either Austin Allegro engine oil or an Austin Allegro on account of...

One of the colours it was produced in was "dogshit brown".
With "Autumnal Orange" interior. Regardless of paint/trim, they had off-square steering wheels. All one needed to know, really :)

With "Autumnal Orange" interior. Regardless of paint/trim, they had off-square steering wheels. All one needed to know, really :)
1973 model Mk3 Cortinas had oval steering wheels - both telling examples of how the styling departments were seen as more important than the application of common sense.

The only thing I know Austin Allegro is from this video.

Back to cooking, I made a BLT with a side of fries. Very exciting. Not. But, still good!