Tonight I cooked..........

Maybe some Blue Nun would have been more appropriate?
It was a toss up between the Mateus and the Blue Nun, both of which are on offer in Sainsbury's. I really wanted Bulls Blood and Babycham but they didn't have any

It was a toss up between the Mateus and the Blue Nun, both of which are on offer in Sainsbury's. I really wanted Bulls Blood and Babycham but they didn't have any
Wow. Not seen Bulls Blood for decades. Used to be 49p a bottle.

Egri Bikaver was my gateway drug to Pinot Noir. Fortunately.

Not so much cooked,.........yet. I have a Herman fermenting in the kitchen at the moment that shall be divided and baked in around 8 days. Yummy.

Excellent!

Er........ what exactly does that mean?
I thought they had caught on big time in the UK a few years ago.

Herman is a German sourdough based cake...........it does not actually taste sour, it is a sweet cake. You will see references saying it is Amish, it might be a from the Amish as far as Americans are concerned but Amish are actually from Germany and they bought it with them to the US.

Herman cake - Wikipedia

Herman, the German Friendship Cake

Right... tonight im going to make my curry base sauce, as described in Kris Dhillin’s ‘The curry secret’.
I’ll take photos as I progress.

Quiche and salad
20190215_175010_resized.jpg

Right...Curry base sauce:

Recipe calls for...
2Lb onions
2Oz ginger
2 oz garlic
2.5 pints water
1 tsp salt
8 tbsp veg oil
1Tsp tomato puree
1 Tsp turmeric
1 Tsp paprika
1 tin of tomatoes.

1.jpg

My measurements are approximate to recipe based on what I actually had in the fridge.

Peel rinse and chop onion, ginger & garlic. I shoved the garlic in the microwave for a minute to aid peeling.
Blend garlic & ginger with some of the water until smooth.

2.jpg

Add garlic and ginger mix to the chopped onions, remainder of water and salt, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45mins (with lid on).

3.jpg

First few minutes of simmering an "interesting" almost fluorescent green froth forms...

4.jpg

I'm currently suffering from a stinking cold-one of those where you feel the need to sneeze all the time ...but can't. I'm reliably informed the house fecking stinks at this time! About 10 minutes into the simmering stage my eyes started watering (despite smelling nothing) and I though I was back in the CS chamber and tried to recite the rainbow poem.
Mrs has now fecked off to watch TV upstairs...smell and eys stinging too bad for her.

Next stage is to allow to cool. In a separate saucepan put oil, tomato puree, turmeric and paprika, heat a little, add blended tomatoes and simmer. I will thrn add all that with the blended onion/garlic mixture and keep at the simmer.

I'm currently at the waiting for the onions & garlic to cool down stage. Extractor fan is on high, back door is open and eyes are just starting to clear up.

More to follow...

Have just done the tomatoes thing...will probably be an hour or so until next stage now.

Exciting ...isn't it!

5.jpg

Okay... All mixed together and simmering for an hour or so. A froth will keep forming and that is to be scooped off.
Prior to mixing the onion/garlic mixture and tomatoes together, I kept back about 1/2 pint of the onion mixture. That will be used in "pre-cooking" whatever meat I decide to use in my curry.

6.jpg

About an hour to go...and frothing away nicely. Warning!!! This does stink your house out. I just nipped out to the shop and when I came back in it hit me big time!

7.jpg

About an hour to go. I've no idea what the skimming off the froth thing is all about - it mostly seems to consist of the spices (paprika/turmeric), nor do I understand the requirement to do the onions/garlic separate..and then mix and cook together (aside from the onion mix being used for pre-cooking the meat). Maybe a cheffy type could elucidate? @Joker62

Last edited:
Falafel and their mates.

View attachment 377937
Where's the hummus and pitta bread?

There used to be a cracking falafel place just outside Tel Aviv central bus station. You can't beat a proper Israeli falafel. Breakfast of champions as they used to say.

Kirkz

LE
Bacon, egg, chips and beans.

20190215_203922-629x472.jpg

Where's the hummus and pitta bread?

There used to be a cracking falafel place just outside Tel Aviv central bus station. You can't beat a proper Israeli falafel. Breakfast of champions as they used to say.
I might go tomorrow, what time do they stop serving?

Was spaghetti Neapolitan al thun spag tomato sauce stuff with a can of tuna

staple camper standby grub , couldn't be arsed going out for good tonight

now chilled out decent van wine , and chillin ' music

#

I had just booked my flight, thanks for nothing
You don't know what you're missing.

Plus you could pike off all those Israeli army bints.

You don't know what you're missing.

Plus you could pike off all those Israeli army bints.
Yes I'm sure they are gagging for a nearly 50 year old with tales of been pissed up in Germany

Last edited:

Latest Threads