Tonight I cooked..........

I stole this recipe off my sister a few years back. It’s a piece of piss and an absolute win.

Boil up some long pasta (cook al dente). Linguine, tagliatelle, spaghetti, whatever.

In another pan mix juice of one lemon, lots of black pepper, butter, crushed garlic, a little milk and a tub of mascarpone.

The mascarpone will melt and make a gorgeous gooey sauce.

Once pasta is done chuck it in the sauce (pasta into the sauce not the other way round).

Mix so the all the pasta gets a good coating.

Take off the heat and add smoked salmon trimmings and mix again.

The salmon will cook a little from the residual heat and impart it’s smokiness into the pasta.

Serve with a slice or two of smoked salmon, basil for garnish, wedge of lemon.

View attachment 371451
I shall be stealing your stolen recipe.

Please pass my thanks to the good lady

In hopes that she, in turn, will chastise you for stealing it in the first place

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I shall be stealing your stolen recipe.

Please pass my thanks to the good lady

In hopes that she, in turn, will chastise you for stealing it in the first place
She just told me that I’d fucked it up by not adding wilted spinach to the sauce.

So if you want the authentic Raver’s sister’s recipe, you need to add spinach.

Also blanch the garlic in boiling water first otherwise it’ll turn blue.

She just told that I’d fucked it up by not adding wilted spinach to the sauce.

I am satisfied that you've had a bollocking

Further advice on the recipe is, frankly, of no interest.

Come to think of it, though: isn't Spinach the 'Go-To' ingredient for every sailorman?

Tonight's efforts

Anchovies, shallot and butter
20190112_172636_resized(1).jpg

Goats cheese ravioli, Chicken broth and bacon sauce.
20190112_191152_resized.jpg

Sea bass, potato and apple fritter, celariac puree, basil cream, faux caviar seasoned sauce
20190112_194755_resized.jpg

Fruit stuffed baked apple wrapped in filo pastry, ginger spiced mascarpone cream
20190112_202353_resized.jpg

Have you tried making the onion paste, as described in the ‘curry secret’ book? It really does add a certain depth.
You mean the onion, garlic & ginger?

If so, that's what I meant by base mix. Can't see onion paste elsewhere in the book.

it's not often I admit defeat, but the culinary gods were not with me tonight.

Dinner was supposed to be chicken cacciatore and Spanish omelette. Chicken went broadly to plan, but the spuds went south in a big way. Got to the point where you invert the pan, and half of it dropped off, the other half indelibly attached to the pan. Balls.

OK, fcuk that, let's have egg noodles instead. Which promptly bound together in a mass of starch and fcuk knows what else.

Might be able to rescue the spud pan after 24 hrs of soaking, but I'm not confident.

Balls to it. We're going out for dinner tomorrow :)

She just told me that I’d fucked it up by not adding wilted spinach to the sauce.

Also blanch the garlic in boiling water first otherwise it’ll turn blue.
Miniscule amount of Roquefort crumbled into that might give it a bit of background kick.

Otherwise tres lush...

it's not often I admit defeat, but the culinary gods were not with me tonight.

Dinner was supposed to be chicken cacciatore and Spanish omelette. Chicken went broadly to plan, but the spuds went south in a big way. Got to the point where you invert the pan, and half of it dropped off, the other half indelibly attached to the pan. Balls.

OK, fcuk that, let's have egg noodles instead. Which promptly bound together in a mass of starch and fcuk knows what else.

Might be able to rescue the spud pan after 24 hrs of soaking, but I'm not confident.

Balls to it. We're going out for dinner tomorrow :)
Line inside of pan loosely with tinfoil- chuck in a dishwasher tablet, Put in hot water and leave for a few hours.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Miniscule amount of Roquefort crumbled into that might give it a bit of background kick.

Otherwise tres lush...
Nah.

Rule of Italian cooking number 346..... never mix strong cheese and fish.

The smokiness from the salmon adds quite a lot of flavour already. I reckon adding some additional strong flavours would mess with it.

True. Forgot about the salmon. Roquefort works well with spinach and bacon/lardons.

Creaming a bit of roquefort/gorgonzola with mascarpone and adding a dab to dried figs in Parma ham when you wrap them is one of those nibbles that you defend by growling and snapping at any guests who want some. It's the kind of hedonistic pleasure you indulge yourself in by scoffing the lot while sat in your underwear watching the RWC final with a pint of good ale.

74CDA581-3D4B-44D2-B79E-0FD62717B1F3.jpeg
A1125F0C-A6A9-4247-BF3B-0915F9B25897.jpeg

Just received my delivery of Haggis slices, Haggis and pork sausages and black pudding slices from a butcher in Dumfries.
As it’s healthy eating January, I’ve limited myself to a sausage butty this morning and the rest is in the freezer for Ron! :-D

View attachment 371603View attachment 371604
Just received my delivery of Haggis slices, Haggis and pork sausages and black pudding slices from a butcher in Dumfries.
As it’s healthy eating January, I’ve limited myself to a sausage butty this morning and the rest is in the freezer for Ron! :-D

On another cooking site, the question was posed 'Who on earth would eat pork lungs? Honestly, they just do not know... and how lovely that haggis stuff looks.

late brunch today, after an excellent walk , coffee and a bit more walking

two poached eggs on seeded wholemeal buttered toast , with 2 slices of pancetta crispy fried ... mmmmmmm!

Latest Threads