Tonight I cooked..........

Yes, A shepherds pie should be made with diced lamb and sliced potato on the top. A cottage pie is with beef mince and mash, often with grated cheese atop.... So in short, yes I know lol, bloody sweetcorn he he
Well, I was told similar to @vvaannmmaann that it was lamb for shepherd's and beef for cottage, no mention of diced vs minced. Mine was made with lamb mince.

This is the first ruby I've done using passata instead of chopped tomatoes and I have to say that it changes the depth of the taste for the better. It's not as sweet as when using chopped toms for some reason. I alternate between using lentils and chickpeas. I used chickpeas here but prefer bunging in a tin of brown lentils.....PAAAAARRRPPP
That is interesting: I was contemplating using up a senior pack of Passata for last weekend's Madras, but wasn't sure how it would turn out, so I'll think on that.

I think there's a deal of difference in the flavours you get from all the different types of tinned tomatoes.

Young(?) Mr Oliver holds that the chopped are invariably poorer quality, and thus less sweet, than the full blown whole plums, and I'm inclined to agree. Sweetest of all are the cherry tomatoes, without a doubt, and you pay a premium for it.

I'm gonna guess that Passata would be made from tomatoes of no higher grade than are used for chopped, hence less sugar.

Chicken Casserole and baked spud. Just the job, as it’s miserable outside!
2D33B7F5-BE92-4BCE-BF0B-E8C5519B06ED.jpeg
F18D7E99-62D1-4308-81FB-0B6B9EC28588.jpeg

I just scrolled back to look at that photo.

But for you, I woulda taken them little'uns for poker chips, they're so feckn dinky!!
I think the tiny ones are like mini ready cooked ones just a bit bigger than crisps.
As @Northern_Biff said due to his diet he did the sharwoods ones in the microwave so they don't get any bigger when cooked,

I think the tiny ones are like mini ready cooked ones just a bit bigger than crisps.
As @Northern_Biff said due to his diet he did the sharwoods ones in the microwave so they don't get any bigger when cooked,
I can't remember the last time I ever cooked a papadum: might well be never! I had no idea they grew when heated (I'm assuming you pan fry them)

I can't remember the last time I ever cooked a papadum: might well be never! I had no idea they grew when heated (I'm assuming you pan fry them)
Yep, pan fried in very hot oil, the Sharwoods ones at least double in size if not more.

Each one soaking up a massively disproportionate quantity of oil in the process?

I'm a Chapatti/naan fan, personally, slightly perplexed by the papadum.
If the oil is hot enough, as in just about smoking, then the papadums will swell up in a second, then drain on kitchen paper and they will taste superb.

If the oil is not hot enough then the papadum will soak up enough oil to keep a Rover gearbox going for a long time.

An Indian mate of mine was cutting down on fats, so he held the papadums over a naked gas ring until they were blistered. Didn't taste quite as good but still acceptable.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The current mrs_mush claims this is the best shepherds pie she's eaten. Ever. Note the Choice of meat.

The Ivy’s Shepherd’s Pie | Caprice Recipes
It seems there are many weird and wonderful variations on the theme, mainly because of socalled celeb chefs but it has always been accepted that as a main meal for a family, a cottage pie contained beef as the meat element (among other veg things) and a shepherd's pie contained lamb as the meat element (among other veg things).

Unless Im mistaken, at the prices the Ivy charge, it abso-chuffing-lutely oughtta be the best she's ever tasted!!
I cooked it from their cookbook.

But the Ivy Cafe spin-off chain has more reasonable prices and easier to get a booking too.

It's just posh mince and mash.
Put it in a mess tin and you'd call it All In.

The roasted veg from earlier, simmered in chicken stock with fried smoked lardons and onion, then lightly blitzed and some milk and a little double cream added.

A very nice supper.

DSCN2796.JPG

Latest Threads