Tonight I cooked..........

I live in Alberta. Pork is the cheapest meat here and I can't stand ground pork. Ground beef has become so pricey that some supermarkets are selling a ground beef/pork combo to bring prices down. There are places where you can get 3lbs for $10 but it's frozen and in those scary tubes.

Chicken is expensive. It actually makes more sense to buy a cooked chicken at Costco or any supermarket over buying one and cooking it yourself. $14 for a cooked bird or anywhere from $12-18 uncooked.

Food prices are an eyeopener. It's so much cheaper in the States. Just came back from a UK roadtrip and my travelling buddy and I were both amazed at how much cheaper food was in UK supermarkets. I was already used to cheaper produce in Spain but wasn't expecting it to be cheap in the UK.

Don't start me on gas prices.
Wish I'd known beforehand, I'd have liked to meet you. :)

Now..now...no need to relive your BATUS fantasies...the poor fella dodged a bullet probably. ;)
Well, two issues with your comment:
1. I unfortunately never went to BATUS :-(
2. @clothears identifies as female - no, still not one of my fantasies!

:)

Well, two issues with your comment:
1. I unfortunately never went to BATUS :-(
2. @clothears identifies as female - no, still not one of my fantasies!

:)
You are becoming far too fussy. Is it not getting near the time for you to go back to work? :bounce:

You are becoming far too fussy. Is it not getting near the time for you to go back to work? :bounce:
Sick note extended to 20th November. You can start a chuff chart but I wouldn't if I were you! :p

Just to add my method of how to poach an egg. First you need an egg at least 10 days in date for a perfect result..
1. Bring at least 1.5 inches of water to the boil and lower to steady bubble. 2. Crack egg into a tea cup. 3. lower tea cup/s + egg/s into water for 20 seconds to very slightly firm up. 4. Remove tea cup and slide egg into lightly bubbling water and poach. 5. Remove egg with spatula and rest still on spatula to drain on kitchen paper, mop any top water with kitchen paper, then slide onto plate or whatever. Ta dah.
Nope. A slotted spoon is better.

Thank you for the prompting :)

There's an excellent high street greengrocer within walking distance of my workplace - so I hiked out one lunchtime last week, and bought 2Kg of good, big, round picklers

And there they are a'brining, to go into the jars this evening. The 1.5L Kilner jar will contain my usual sweetened vinegar picklin' mixture, to suit Mrs S and me, while the 1.4L Sarson's jar is already loaded with 3 split chillis getting on with infusin' a little bit of vinegar, and awaiting the main event.

View attachment 357332

One thing worries me tho', and it gets me every time I buy chillis from Waitrose, it is that the packaging is generally unhelpful, in that it will tell you that the bag contains a mixture of chillis (in this case bird's eye and cayenne) and warns you that one is hotter than the other, but it gives no help in identifying one from the other.

I'm guessing, therefore, that I've split 2 x bird's eye and 1 x cayenne.

The Russian Roulette element of this process explains why I didn't go for the 4-variety pack, whose contents are pretty much indistinguishable to the untutored eye, but which span a pretty full spectrum of ferocity, from jalapeno (at the moderate end) to scotch bonnet (at the other 'your 'arris will need the fire and rescue service in the morning', end of the scale) .

For the future, what's the quickest way to acquaint myself with this knowledge?
I've recently brought myself a book "An anarchy of chillies". It's a show and tell Of the chillies world. Would recommend it.

Latest Threads