Tonight I cooked..........

Mango curry chicken steak on rice with sweet chilli sauce.

20180920_204606-709x542.jpg

Just mustard seeds?

Or a bit of chilli as well?

Or Bombay potatoes as they’re known.
Not quite, that was the name of the recipe.

A tsp of mustard seeds & cumin seeds in veg oil, then finely chopped onion and two large sliced chillies added & cooked gently until soft.

Next the pre boiled sliced spuds, a teaspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt, then 150ml of water & simmered for about 10 minutes to let the spuds absorb the spices.

So no, not Bombay potatoes, and if Madhur Jaffrey names the recipe Potatoes with mustard seeds then I'm happy to call it that.

Ham, cheese & potato bake with ratatouille.

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

A quick search of the fridge at lunchtime and I found some spuds, veg and beef from a pot roast a couple of days ago, so I went for a variation of bubble with an egg on top of course! Slightly too long under the grill so the egg wasn't quite as soft as I like, but still tasty with some marty ketchup and crusty bread..

IMG_1886.jpg

@Donny - how do you get on with the wooden countertops? Our house build is making progress, so we'll be kitchen fitting this side of Christmas. I was originally thinking of just plain granite, but I do like the look of wood. I'm concerned about durability, primarily.

I've got the woodworking machines to make the counters myself, but I can't be arrsed with refinishing the counters every few years if that's necessary. Do hot pans mark the wood? Water ingress by the sink? I use wooden chopping boards for trivets, and a really hot pan will mark it. Then again a hot pan will crack granite.

Could you post a wider picture of the kitchen please?

Cheers!

Herrings Bismark:

It's good for you:

IMG_5223.jpg

Well there's a rookie question if ever I heard one. There's always beer on my shopping list :)

I keep the beer fridge bombed up; running out of beer is a mistake you only make once when you live out in the sticks :) I think there's Heineken and Wobbly in there right now, and a slab of Mic Ultra I got when my elder stepdaughter was in town. She barely drank any, and I'm gradually turning it into beer bread. I certainly won't drink it, gopping American beer at its worst. Might be some Shock Top in one of the drawers. If not, it's on the list too.

@Donny - how do you get on with the wooden countertops? Our house build is making progress, so we'll be kitchen fitting this side of Christmas. I was originally thinking of just plain granite, but I do like the look of wood. I'm concerned about durability, primarily.

I've got the woodworking machines to make the counters myself, but I can't be arrsed with refinishing the counters every few years if that's necessary. Do hot pans mark the wood? Water ingress by the sink? I use wooden chopping boards for trivets, and a really hot pan will mark it. Then again a hot pan will crack granite.

Could you post a wider picture of the kitchen please?

Cheers!
No problem - this place is rented and I think my landlord put the kitchen in himself. The solid wood work top does tend to get a bit scratched and needs a tidy up and new varnish every year or 18 months. I've had no problem with water marks or hot pans, but I am fairly careful with it and I always use trivets. The landlord comes and does the clean up job himself so I can't say it's caused me any grief, but it's more effort than I'd want to put in at my own place. Here's the kitchen - bear in mind it's a London flat so I'd guess it'll be a lot smaller than what you're looking at..

IMG_1888.jpg

Edit to add: and I've just noticed that I really must push the washing machine back into it's place... ;-)

I've actually just gone through the process of planning the kitchen for my own house and work's underway at the moment as part of a complete renovation. I've gone for a decent plain laminate work top but if I do decide to change it in due course I think it'll probably be granite next - I wasn't taken with the quartz tops I looked at. Meantime here's a pic of my own kitchen at the moment, which probably looks a little like yours (only smaller - it's still in London :)

IMG_1883.jpg

Cheers mate, that's confirmed what I thought on the wooden counters. My kitchen is just a bunch of framed walls right now. Not even a roof over it yet.

Edited to add: Not quite true on the roof, I just ran over to the land and they are placing the roof trusses as I write. The kitchen is behind the wall on the left with the Tyvek on it. It'll be a while yet before we're at your stage!

IMG_3307.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers mate, that's confirmed what I thought on the wooden counters. My kitchen is just a bunch of framed walls right now. Not even a roof over it yet.

Edited to add: Not quite true on the roof, I just ran over to the land and they are placing the roof trusses as I write. The kitchen is behind the wall on the left with the Tyvek on it. It'll be a while yet before we're at your stage!

View attachment 353903
Are you going for timber outer skin or brick slips?

Are you going for timber outer skin or brick slips?
It's a mix of Hardiplank siding (a fiber cement product that looks like wood, but is basically a concrete-fiber mix) and stone accents. Same effect as our old house:

000.jpeg

001.jpeg

It's a mix of Hardiplank siding (a fiber cement product that looks like wood, but is basically a concrete-fiber mix) and stone accents. Same effect as our old house:

View attachment 354027
View attachment 354028
With your views from the new house, ditch the Georgian bars in the glass in your old house?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads