Tonight I cooked..........

Did the toilet rolls have a "Best before " date ?

You could do your bottom serious damage, if the dates fall outside..... your Public Liability won't cover you......
Thrown out as the packaging was damaged so no idea about sell/use by dates, I do know I won't be buying any comfy bum for quite a while though.

Sea food in tomato sauce.

20180821_115711-660x782.jpg

20180821_204131.jpg

20180821_201400-728x595.jpg

Tomorrow I'm having ox cheek and kidney slow cooked stew.
This lot has had several hours in the slow cooker and will stand over night to be reheated for tomorrow's tea.
20180821_110817-668x655.jpg

Farmfoods meats are goping, their chicken tastes like silicone rubber, and their spuds dissolve when you boil em. If you leave their sausages out for the wildlife you get a formal complaint from the foxes union.

As its such a warm sunny day I didn't cook this but I did pour on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which I'm sure counts.

View attachment 347282
If you like a simple/tasty/different salad, Gino DaCampo's side salad with his balsamic pancetta chicken is very nice: nice tender asparagus tips, raw, halved lengthwise*, with little sweet baby plum tomatoes, quartered, left to marinate in olive oil and lemon juice for 30 minutes. A little pepper, maybe some salt.

Ver' niice
- - - -
*Stonkernote: This is fiddly. Next time, I'm gonna h'experiment with one of them things you use to strip string beans.

Last edited:
Other than the vegetables, what else would chutney be adding . . . sugar, and vinager?!
Flavour, same as any other ingredients I imagine. Taste the mince when finished without chutney, then add the chutney and taste again maybe would give an idea, but probably not quite the same as cooking with it in from the start..

Flavour, same as any other ingredients I imagine. Taste the mince when finished without chutney, then add the chutney and taste again maybe would give an idea, but probably not quite the same as cooking with it in from the start..
I often add a squirt of brown sauce or Tamarind sauce to mince dishes, I imagine it gives a similar result, I also add about a teaspoon of instant coffee which gives a little umami flavour.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I often add a squirt of brown sauce or Tamarind sauce to mince dishes, I imagine it gives a similar result, I also add about a teaspoon of instant coffee which gives a little umami flavour.
Umami? Who are you trying to kid?

Well yes. I thought it would be included for taste, rather than estetics! ;) .

Other than preservatives, and colourants, my question was . . . what might be in chutney that is not already in your/our cupboards, as "raw" ingredients?

I usually add a bayleaf, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, an OXO cube & gravy ganules to thicken.
I also put some Bovril into mince.